• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla adapter cost

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I'm expecting the adapter for free if I bought my car new from Ford.

If I bought my truck used from a non-Ford dealer, I would expect to pay roughly $100-$300 depending on the adapter capabilities (ie, 48A, 80A, NACS Supercharger adapter?)

I would pay $500 out of pocket for a retrofit of my CCS to NACS, which retains the ability to utilize my FCSP somehow.
Now thats an intersting idea. Wonder what all it would take, i imagine the adapter is just easier.
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
And I quote “We’re going to ship an adapter to everyone who’s bought a Ford EV,” Farley said. “This is not just for the future, it’s for all the people who already bought our vehicles. So they’ll get an adapter from Ford, they go on FordPass, they pick the payment option they want, all the billing is the same as it is today, so it’s going to be super easy.” When you claim your going to ship something to all your EV owners, you're not saying your making it available for purchase. You're implying your sending it to them for free as a "thank you" for putting your largely imperfect EV program on the map. They should do the right thing and make it free.

In the Twitter spaces announcement Musk (when discussing the adapter) stated "it will not be cost prohibitive... it will be something that is quite affordable... in the hundreds of dollars range".

Watch the 14:10 to 16:10 mark of this video.

In the CNBC video (below) Farley says "We're gonna ship an adapter to everyone that has bought a Ford EV " in this interview. It does not say "ship for free", but I agree one could easily construe it that way. Since I heard Musk's comments first, I figured Farley simply spoke a bit clumsily during a live interview.

So my understanding is Tesla is making the adapters and will be charging the manufacturers. The question is does each manufacturer eat the cost, or pass it along to the customer. Hard to say, but based on the way Ford nickel and dime people on the pitiful compensation for deleted items due to missing supply chain items I would not expect them to be so generous on this particular issue.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
In the Twitter spaces announcement Musk (when discussing the adapter) stated "it will not be cost prohibitive... it will be something that is quite affordable... in the hundreds of dollars range".

Watch the 14:10 to 16:10 mark of this video.

In the CNBC video (below) Farley says "We're gonna ship an adapter to everyone that has bought a Ford EV " in this interview. It does not say "ship for free", but I agree one could easily construe it that way. Since I heard Musk's comments first, I figured Farley simply spoke a bit clumsily during a live interview.

So my understanding is Tesla is making the adapters and will be charging the manufacturers. The question is does each manufacturer eat the cost, or pass it along to the customer. Hard to say, but based on the way Ford nickel and dime people on the pitiful compensation for deleted items due to missing supply chain items I would not expect them to be so generous on this particular issue.
Counterpoint: I can nitpick and say he can’t ship one to everyone if there’s a cost, because not everyone will buy one. He could make it available to everyone, but shipping it everyone would imply that it’s included and Ford is covering it.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Now thats an intersting idea. Wonder what all it would take, i imagine the adapter is just easier.
For them, yea. But I charge enough on the road where I don’t want to lose an adapter or deal with an adapter each time, hence why I would gladly pay for it to be retrofit. For the FCSP I wonder if the Tesla CCS adapter would work on that for NACS trucks

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
For them, yea. But I charge enough on the road where I don’t want to lose an adapter or deal with an adapter each time, hence why I would gladly pay for it to be retrofit. For the FCSP I wonder if the Tesla CCS adapter would work on that for NACS trucks
by retrofit, you me replace the ccs on the truck to nacs? if so, i agree 100%. id pay to have that done to my truck.

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Reading tea leaves here, but if I'm correct its not good news... see linked article and exerpt below, but based on this info it tells me we do not see an adapter until late 2024 at best... not the "Early 2024" originally announced.

The Hyundai family just announced today NACS support but that existing CCS vehicles wont get access/adapter until Q1 2025. If an adapter were ready and in production for the other Manufacturers before then I see no reason that Tesla/Hyundai would not be offering (selling) them prior to that along with all the other car makers.

"As for owners of existing and future Hyundai EVs with the current CCS port, they will get access to the Tesla Supercharging Network starting in Q1 2025, when Hyundai will offer an adapter to these customers."

https://insideevs.com/news/689976/hyundai-use-tesla-nacs-connector-us-starting-2024/

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
When will the adapter be available…when will the adapter be available…when will….

What a bunch of BS!!! NACS to CCS Adapters are already available! A2Z makes one and several videos show that it works.

We could be using Superchargers right now if Tesla would just turn on the switch. If the adapter is available then we need to ask why are they waiting? None of the answers I can come up with make me think Tesla cares about Ford Lightning owners.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What a bunch of BS!!! NACS to CCS Adapters are already available! A2Z makes one and several videos show that it works.
Works, but is not safe. Did you watch Tom's video? In it, he says he is the ONLY influencer to have AtoZ's adapter, which is an early prototype. So as far as I can tell, there is only 1 video that shows it working. In that video:
1) It is pointed out that the locking mechanism doesn't have a fail safe, meaning you could disconnect and have live outlets exposed.
2) Feedback provided to AtoZ that the connectors need to be hidden away better and the device made more tamper proof (one could disassemble it without compromising it's ability to work)
3) It is limited to 300A, while not a deal breaker for some, it is still well below our max. Tesla's CCS1 to NACS supports 250kW, more than double AtoZ's current effort. Why should we settle for less?

If the automakers AtoZ are talking to won't accept it as is, we shouldn't either. So no, it's not yet ready in my opinion.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
This could also be interpreted as a delay in availability due to Ford signing on first thus calling dibs on the initial stock.
There is also software engineering involved in the rollout. Hyundai is probably giving themselves time to get it (they are now last in line), make the necessary changes, and test.

I wouldn't read into what other car companies are doing and extrapolate that info. Each company individually negotiated with Tesla.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There is also software engineering involved in the rollout. Hyundai is probably giving themselves time to get it (they are now last in line), make the necessary changes, and test.

I wouldn't read into what other car companies are doing and extrapolate that info. Each company individually negotiated with Tesla.
If I recall, one of the hang ups Hyundai and Kia had was that superchargers didn't work as well for cars with 800V batteries. I could easily see a delay in the adapters for them so they can figure out that shortcoming.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If I recall, one of the hang ups Hyundai and Kia had was that superchargers didn't work as well for cars with 800V batteries. I could easily see a delay in the adapters for them so they can figure out that shortcoming.
Superchargers can’t take advantage of the 800V architecture, but the experience should be roughly equivalent to that of a 400V vehicle.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superchargers can’t take advantage of the 800V architecture, but the experience should be roughly equivalent to that of a 400V vehicle.
Why do Lucid's have such a bad experience? I thought it was due to 800V architecture.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Works, but is not safe. Did you watch Tom's video? In it, he says he is the ONLY influencer to have AtoZ's adapter, which is an early prototype. So as far as I can tell, there is only 1 video that shows it working. In that video:
1) It is pointed out that the locking mechanism doesn't have a fail safe, meaning you could disconnect and have live outlets exposed.
2) Feedback provided to AtoZ that the connectors need to be hidden away better and the device made more tamper proof (one could disassemble it without compromising it's ability to work)
3) It is limited to 300A, while not a deal breaker for some, it is still well below our max. Tesla's CCS1 to NACS supports 250kW, more than double AtoZ's current effort. Why should we settle for less?

If the automakers AtoZ are talking to won't accept it as is, we shouldn't either. So no, it's not yet ready in my opinion.
What, are you on Tesla’s payroll? No, there is more than one video and one thing the tests did definitively prove is that you don’t need a “Tesla” adapter. All you need is an adapter that is wired correctly and a Tesla account to process payment.

300 amps is 120 kW at 400V. The local Magic Dock Superchargers would only give me about 114 kW and so many CCS chargers around me seem to be throttled to less than 100 kW. Anything close to 120 kW would be a big improvement most of the time and who says the “Tesla” adapter will do any better.

Sounds like you are just blowing smoke.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Why do Lucid's have such a bad experience? I thought it was due to 800V architecture.
I’m speaking strictly from a technical perspective of what‘s possible. It’s certainly possible that a given brand of vehicle didn't design properly for a particular charging situation.
Sponsored