• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Magic Dock Count now up to 45 in US & Canada.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I carry my Tesla destination charger adapter in my truck when I’m on a road trip. Lectron has a ccs/tesla adapter that’s shipping in January. I ordered one of those too. Seems like a longer wait for the availability of magic docks compared to having an adapter with me that I could actually use.
You cannot use any adapter, including Lectron's, until such time as Tesla opens up their network, which is announced for Spring.
Sponsored

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
You cannot use any adapter, including Lectron's, until such time as Tesla opens up their network, which is announced for Spring.
Yeah. Ford is supposed to send adapters to all ford ev owners too.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah. Ford is supposed to send adapters to all ford ev owners too.
They are not. They will make them available for us to purchase.

My point is, you can own all the adapters you want, but they won't work until Tesla enables their non-MagicDock chargers. Right now you use the Tesla app, non-Tesla vehicle, and it enables Magic Dock. No locations show, or are accessible, that way if they don't have a MagicDock, so the adapter won't work.

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
They are not. They will make them available for us to purchase.

My point is, you can own all the adapters you want, but they won't work until Tesla enables their non-MagicDock chargers. Right now you use the Tesla app, non-Tesla vehicle, and it enables Magic Dock. No locations show, or are accessible, that way if they don't have a MagicDock, so the adapter won't work.
Yes you cannot use them until they open them to other EV owners with an adapter. I can imagine going to a supercharger that has a magic dock charger and it’s in use. If the ford adapter will be available for purchase when that happens, I will buy that one too. Not sure why buying an adapter now that hasn’t even shipped yet is controversial.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was there an official announcement or is this an assumption on your part?
Ford announced, back when the deal with Tesla was announced, that we would get adapters. There is a huge debate, by people who like to waste their time debating things that they have no knowledge of, whether Jim Farley said we'd get them free. He didn't, he said they'd be sending them to all owners. Ford, in a statement after that, very clearly said they'd be available for purchase, "sending them" didn't mean free. Do the math, they're not sending them for free.

So no, we're not getting free adapters. That said, I'm sure Ford is working on making them available for the lowest possible cost to avoid blowback.

benderofbows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro; 2009 F-150 (SOLD); 2022 Bronco
Ford announced, back when the deal with Tesla was announced, that we would get adapters. There is a huge debate, by people who like to waste their time debating things that they have no knowledge of, whether Jim Farley said we'd get them free. He didn't, he said they'd be sending them to all owners. Ford, in a statement after that, very clearly said they'd be available for purchase, "sending them" didn't mean free. Do the math, they're not sending them for free.

So no, we're not getting free adapters. That said, I'm sure Ford is working on making them available for the lowest possible cost to avoid blowback.
Yeah ifs it reasonable price and works on all Tesla then I'm in.
Also, weren't there rumors Ford was considering a NACS to CCS extension cable/adapter combo? Now THAT I'd happily pay even more for.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah ifs it reasonable price and works on all Tesla then I'm in.
Also, weren't there rumors Ford was considering a NACS to CCS extension cable/adapter combo? Now THAT I'd happily pay even more for.
It won't work on all Tesla based on posts I've seen, only on V3 and V4 chargers. Apparently there are V2 SuperChargers where it won't work.

As far as an extension, Ford clearly knows of the issue, so any adapter they provide will be as long as is possible IMO.

benderofbows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro; 2009 F-150 (SOLD); 2022 Bronco
It won't work on all Tesla based on posts I've seen, only on V3 and V4 chargers. Apparently there are V2 SuperChargers where it won't work.

As far as an extension, Ford clearly knows of the issue, so any adapter they provide will be as long as is possible IMO.
Thanks. All V3 and V4 would be more than good enough for me. And yeah that would make sense, adapters with handles on each end of a cable that's hopefully just long enough to stretch from the Tesla cable to our charge port in the same parking spot as a Tesla.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. All V3 and V4 would be more than good enough for me. And yeah that would make sense, adapters with handles on each end of a cable that's hopefully just long enough to stretch from the Tesla cable to our charge port in the same parking spot as a Tesla.
We can only hope.

On a trip in October, our hotel was next to a Supercharger location. Every single sign was bent backwards, so apparently even Tesla drivers have issues...

Sponsored

mikenky

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 tesla model y and 16 chevy volt
Occupation
retired

mikenky

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 tesla model y and 16 chevy volt
Occupation
retired

He said you have to pay

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
He said you have to pay
He did not. Debated endlessly.

“We’re going to ship an adapter to everyone who’s bought a Ford EV,” Farley said. “This is not just for the future, it’s for all the people who already bought our vehicles. So they’ll get an adapter from Ford, they go on FordPass, they pick the payment option they want, all the billing is the same as it is today, so it’s going to be super easy.”

Pretty clearly didn't say, the payment option is for the charging.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Well who would’ve believed it!!

Looking at @carys98 posted link there is a Tesla V3 Magic Dock charger in Beaver Dam, KY. Not a route I use but hell it’s in KY. Who would’ve thought! 😊
charged my lightning at beaver dam, ky Hucks on western ky parkway worked fine with tesla app
Are you talking about the Hucks in Madisonville? Ive been in Evansville, IN for a few months and the fastest chargers were 45 min in either direction. North it's a magic dock by Tesla, and south the Huck's in Madisonville. My next project is roughly in that area near Central City. Will be nice to have another option for when I come down from EVV and have to swing by Owensboro. Beaver City isn't too far out of the way.

So what's the final say on plugging in at any Tesla charger? Is it 1/1/24 if you have your own adapter? I'll happily pay whatever for the adapter once the Ford handshake with the Tesla chargers get activated. Will be the game changer for my use case. There's a big Tesla charging area at the grocery store in EVV that sits empty. Currently have to sit in a GM parking lot versus doing my grocery shopping while I charge.
Sponsored