• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Magic Dock Count now up to 45 in US & Canada.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
The timing hasn’t been reported yet. Nor has the specific sites that will accommodate a nonTesla vehicle.

As for the Beaver Dam site it is the one at Huck’s :

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Magic Dock Count now up to 45 in US & Canada. 1702566514569
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So what's the final say on plugging in at any Tesla charger? Is it 1/1/24 if you have your own adapter? I'll happily pay whatever for the adapter once the Ford handshake with the Tesla chargers get activated. Will be the game changer for my use case. There's a big Tesla charging area at the grocery store in EVV that sits empty. Currently have to sit in a GM parking lot versus doing my grocery shopping while I charge.
It was never 1/1/24. Where did you get that date from? The announcement that was made was Spring 2024. FYI, Spring runs from March 19th to June 20th.

I have seen nothing communicated by Ford that said different.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
It was never 1/1/24. Where did you get that date from? The announcement that was made was Spring 2024. FYI, Spring runs from March 19th to June 20th.

I have seen nothing communicated by Ford that said different.
I wrote "is it 1/1/24", not "it is 1/1/24". I'm asking the question.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
Would we expect this conversion to slow now that a date(ish) has been announced for the allowance for CCS vehicles (Ford and GM initially) to have access to all lvl3 and 4 chargers via an adapter? Has there been any formal announcement of the termination of the magic dock program?

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Would we expect this conversion to slow now that a date(ish) has been announced for the allowance for CCS vehicles (Ford and GM initially) to have access to all lvl3 and 4 chargers via an adapter? Has there been any formal announcement of the termination of the magic dock program?
It's impossible to know what Tesla is thinking with these. If you look at Ames IA, it was very underserved, so maybe they are just trying to open up magic dock locations in places that charging is badly needed? Adapters are going to be great, but this location helps everyone, today.

Other places I see them, there is a desperate situation around them often times. In MD on the Delmarva peninsula, there is basically zero CCS fast charging anywhere, so that location is huge. I wish they'd convert one of the stations in Rehoboth DE though.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Agreed. Tesla has an agreement with the US government to open up 3,500 Superchargers to all CCS vehicles, regardless of brand, by the end of 2024. It is believed that Magic Dock was their effort to do so. Not a word from anyone that it is not still happening that way.

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
It's impossible to know what Tesla is thinking with these. If you look at Ames IA, it was very underserved, so maybe they are just trying to open up magic dock locations in places that charging is badly needed? Adapters are going to be great, but this location helps everyone, today.

Other places I see them, there is a desperate situation around them often times. In MD on the Delmarva peninsula, there is basically zero CCS fast charging anywhere, so that location is huge. I wish they'd convert one of the stations in Rehoboth DE though.
Honestly, I think they are converting low-use superchargers. The one near my house in the last year has gone to being full pretty much all day. I can't imagine the putting magic docks here anytime soon. Don't be surprised if the sites they do open up to CCS/NACS adapter usage are low-use locations

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Honestly, I think they are converting low-use superchargers. The one near my house in the last year has gone to being full pretty much all day. I can't imagine the putting magic docks here anytime soon. Don't be surprised if the sites they do open up to CCS/NACS adapter usage are low-use locations
Almost all the latest magic docks are brand new installs.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Almost all the latest magic docks are brand new installs.
There doesn’t seem to be any logic behind where they put magic docks. Several million people vacation on the North Carolina Outer Banks every year and Tesla just installed a 12 bay Supercharger in Nags Head (the red circle) in November. There was already an 8 bay V2 about 5 miles north. There are no other DC chargers anywhere on the two main routes (in blue) nor on the actual Outer Banks except for one in the far south in Avon. This would have been a perfect location.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Magic Dock Count now up to 45 in US & Canada. IMG_0303

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
New magic dock install, Glendale AZ.
Busy holiday weekend here, but I'll have to see if I can swing over there sometime soon. Trivia time, this location was once called "Valley West Mall" and during it's demolition the movie "Eight Legged Freaks" was filmed there whenever they needed a pile of rubble or destroyed building.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer

I don’t agree. The Magic Dock locations I have seen were already very well served by CCS chargers. The Supercharger locations in my area where CCS service is really needed didn’t get Magic Docks.

teaguem32

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ER LARIAT SQM
Not all of the locations there are available. It pointed out there are Magic Docks in Glendale, AZ and PlugShare does have a check-in confirming. However, the check-in also says they aren't active yet. I checked the Tesla app and it doesn't show that location yet. Still, good to know that they are there. If I ever make a trek out to Kingman I'll stop by them. And it looks like they have a layout that is even optimal for us!
1242482.jpg
I have used the one in Glendale. It worked as expected.

teaguem32

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ER LARIAT SQM
So now that
Tesla is on the Bue Oval network, I am curious. The way to use the magic dock requires the Tesla app. Now if I pull up to a charger will we still get the magic dock feature, or have to use the adapter every time?
Sponsored