• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

toby_d

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning 510A, 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Ken,

That's spectacular! Very well crafted. I see you're in Windsor -- I'm south of Lyons and would love to see the camper in person. Any chance I could come visit?

Thanks,
Toby.
Sponsored

toby_d

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
As others have mentioned, the drag is not just at the front end. It might be worthwhile to have some tapering devices at the rear of a "normal" camper to reduce the "suction" drag, similar to what you see on some tractor trailers. I researched and toyed with this idea on this camper, but decided in the interest of simplicity to leave it off for now. I may try some things in the future.

FYI, I'm working on the construction video right now.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Ken, could you build out rearwards, over the top of the tailgate (when the tailgate is up)? You could use the space for cupboards or such, and if needed you could taper them in (in the plan view) so as to make them a bit more aero.

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Mach E Premium AWD
Ken, could you build out rearwards, over the top of the tailgate (when the tailgate is up)? You could use the space for cupboards or such, and if needed you could taper them in (in the plan view) so as to make them a bit more aero.
Thanks for your thoughts. I considered this, but it's complicated by the door being in the middle of that protrusion. If they were just outside compartments hung on the back either side of the door that would be easier to fabricate. Not sure how much drag reduction they would be with the door cutout though. Something to think about for the future.

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hi Ken,

That's spectacular! Very well crafted. I see you're in Windsor -- I'm south of Lyons and would love to see the camper in person. Any chance I could come visit?

Thanks,
Toby.
Sure! I'll be out of town camping in my 2021/2022 winter project (rv trailer/houseboat) next week. But let's figure out a time after that.

Ford F-150 Lightning The tiny, all-electric, slide-in camper I built for my F150 Lightning doesn’t have a shower, but I’m working on it... 1686184498977

Last edited:

toby_d

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Sure! I'll be out of town camping in my 2021/2022 winter project (rv trailer/houseboat) next week. But let's figure out a time after that.
Sounds good! I sent you a private message here with my phone number. Enjoy your camping.

Sponsored

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER

1686184498977.jpeg
Your winter project RV trailer houseboat? You must show that to us! And if that was your winter project, what was the camper? A long weekend project?

Scott

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your winter project RV trailer houseboat? You must show that to us! And if that was your winter project, what was the camper? A long weekend project?

Scott
:) I'd love to show it to you, but I'm guessing the forum administrators would rightfully tell me it doesn't fit the forum's audience. But at some point I'm sure I'll post a video of it alongside the Lightning camper videos.

To clarify, the 'CampinBoat' was my winter '21/22 project. The Lightning camper was my winter '22/23 project.

I will say that I designed/built the solar-powered CampinBoat to be towed by my highly-anticipated Lightning, as part of my dream of low-carbon touring and camping. Then the reality of significant range reduction and (perhaps more importantly) the lack of pull-through charging stations made me postpone those plans. That's when I decided to build the Lightning camper.

I'm still working on the CampinBoat, and after finally receiving the electric motors for it in January, hope to put it on the water this summer, locally towed and launched with the Lightning. And my fingers are crossed that we'll see LOTS more pull-through charging stations in the near future so I can float the Erie canal and 100 other places I want to explore in this country.

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
:) I'd love to show it to you, but I'm guessing the forum administrators would rightfully tell me it doesn't fit the forum's audience. But at some point I'm sure I'll post a video of it alongside the Lightning camper videos.
I’d say that if you can tow it and enjoy the truck more by having it, it’s of interest here.

Scott

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Wow. This is amazing and this is exactly what I would love to have. You should look at building and selling these as a business. Remarkable craftmanship.

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow. This is amazing and this is exactly what I would love to have. You should look at building and selling these as a business. Remarkable craftmanship.
Thx Sam. I’m retired, so not looking to go back to work :)

But would love to work with someone or some company with the skills and finances that wanted to bring it to market.

Sponsored

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2015 SuperCab FX4, 2.7L Ecoboost
Occupation
Climate Aware Livin Coach
BRAVO Ken! Your design and build is very close to what I am dreaming of for my overland camper. A very nice layout. Your engineering and craftsmanship is awesome. I will use some of your ideas as I complete my build this summer with a purchased ORU Designs USA pop-up shell to be delivered soon.

My layout plan currently includes a shower in the same location as as my dry toilet, which I will move out of the way when using the shower. The shower pan will be a watertight custom layup fabrication and drain via flexible tubing through that gap between the tailgate and the floor.

Wishing you many Happy Camping Adventures!

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BRAVO Ken! Your design and build is very close to what I am dreaming of for my overland camper. A very nice layout. Your engineering and craftsmanship is awesome. I will use some of your ideas as I complete my build this summer with a purchased ORU Designs USA pop-up shell to be delivered soon.

My layout plan currently includes a shower in the same location as as my dry toilet, which I will move out of the way when using the shower. The shower pan will be a watertight custom layup fabrication and drain via flexible tubing through that gap between the tailgate and the floor.

Wishing you many Happy Camping Adventures!
Thanks for the kind words Scott. Good luck with your ORU camper design. FWIW, I'm working on my shower design right now!

Reactions: LOV

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
Ken - I LOVE your design on your implementation! Amazing!!

One question is why you decided to include the cost, weight, and volume of the battery and solar panel. It seems redundant to the Lightning battery....and the optimal daily charge you gain by solar is literally a minute or two at the charging station.

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ken - I LOVE your design on your implementation! Amazing!!

One question is why you decided to include the cost, weight, and volume of the battery and solar panel. It seems redundant to the Lightning battery....and the optimal daily charge you gain by solar is literally a minute or two at the charging station.
Thanks Dave!

I spent a lot of time debating with myself about this very issue. Here's how I came to this solution:

1. There is no 12V power available in the bed of the truck, and I needed 12V 24/7 for the water pump, LED lights, Maxx Air fan, charging phones, tablets, etc. Of course I could get 12V with an AC/DC power supply when Pro Power Onboard is active (more on that in a second).

2. The refrigerator is electric and obviously needs power 24/7. But the Lightning only provides Pro Power Onboard (A/C power) when it is "running", and according to some, consumes a minimum of 400W while doing so (I haven't verified this yet).

3. But the bigger problem in my mind is that Ford didn't include a "camp mode", so whenever you want 110V power you have to exit the camper, enter the cab, start the truck (no, remote "start" doesn't actually start the truck), enable Pro Power Onboard, turn off the headlights, turn "down" the dash screens, exit the cab, lock the truck... All for a fridge that only pulls 60W max, and small 12V loads like lights. Or, just never turn off the truck while you're boondocking (not really appealing to me).

The lithium battery, solar panel, solar charge controller, and inverter did add about $1100 and 40 pounds to the build. But for me it was worth it. Now I only have to enable Pro Power Onboard when I need hot water (heats up in about 5 minutes), want to use the induction cooktop, or have large 110V loads to power. Still the same hassle, but one I can decide when to use.

And FWIW, with this setup, this all-electric camper can also be used in ANY F150 by simply adding a second battery and solar panel (no Pro Power Onboard required).

Reactions: LOV

toby_d

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty clever!
Sponsored