• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

VIN Trim Level Keeps Changing - Have You Noticed This?

klarson

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Finance
Hey, I wanted to see if anyone else is noticing this out there. I started monitoring my local dealers ads (long story) and I noticed they could never get the trim level right. The ad would say PRO for instance, but when I looked up the VIN, it said Lariat. Further, the dealer is inconsistent within the ad. I noticed the same problem with other dealers while some of the larger dealers weren't advertising at all. The I noticed it happening with CARFAX. Check this out:

Ford F-150 Lightning VIN Trim Level Keeps Changing - Have You Noticed This? 1682696715157

Ford F-150 Lightning VIN Trim Level Keeps Changing - Have You Noticed This? 1682696752201

when I asked CARFAX why this was happening, this is what they told me:

Ford F-150 Lightning VIN Trim Level Keeps Changing - Have You Noticed This? 1682696831062

Makes you wonder why you'd pay for one of their reports, doesn't it. :)

Anyway, this isn't a one-off incident. This has been happening A LOT. Monitor your dealer's listings and when they first appear check the VIN. Then in a couple of days go back and check that same VIN again and see if the TRIM doesn't change. Our state has a good "Truth in Advertising" law and they can't misrepresent what what they are advertising. I notified the dealers and one egregious one still hasn't corrected the listings after two months so I'm taking them to court. See if it's happening in your area and what your state advertising laws are. I'd really like to know if FORD is causing this issue or something else. I don't seem to be getting a straight answer from anyone.
Sponsored

OP
OP

klarson

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Finance
So here's a fresh one from today. Check with CARFAX in a couple of days and see if it doesn't change to a Platinum:

Ford F-150 Lightning VIN Trim Level Keeps Changing - Have You Noticed This? 1682723823246

And here's another one from this week:

Ford F-150 Lightning VIN Trim Level Keeps Changing - Have You Noticed This? 1682723887929

Ford F-150 Lightning VIN Trim Level Keeps Changing - Have You Noticed This? 1682723909601

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I'm trying to figure out what running a VIN on CarFax has to do with new car advertising, especially since trim is not encoded into the VIN? CarFax reports are based on reported events associated with the VIN. All Lightnings are either xxxxW1EV or xxxxW1EL. The VIN indicates F-150 SuperCrew, Standard Range or Extended Range battery. If you can find a W1EL Platinum, there's a mistake somewhere. I think the Monroney is the legal truth-in-advertising benchmark for new vehicles.
I notified the dealers and one egregious one still hasn't corrected the listings after two months so I'm taking them to court.
Have you looked at the Monroney label affixed to the vehicle?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Carfax needs better automation to "READ" the window sticker and extract the correct trim designations

Sponsored

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
The VIN doesn't encode the vehicle trim level, so any VIN-based report is either guessing the trim level, or defaults to some random trim level (Pro?) until someone specifically tells it otherwise.

Here's what's coded in a VIN by position:
PositionMeaning
1Country of Origin (1 = USA)
2-3Manufacturer (FT = Ford Truck)
4Brake, GVWR, & Restraints (V = Hydraulic, 8001-8500lb, manual belts w/front+1st&2nd side SRS, 6 = same except 8501-9000lb )
5-7Line, Series & Body Style (W1E = F-150 4x4 SuperCrew)
8Engine Type (L = SR Electric, V = ER Electric)
9Check digit
10Model Year (P = 2023)
11Plant (W = Rouge Electric in Dearborn MI)
12-17Serial Number (G00001-G9999)

As you can see, you can't reliably infer trim level from the VIN, except that the Platinum trim will have 6 in the 4th position (because it is heavier than the other trims). If someone has written a trim-level-guesser, I'd bet that it assumes that 1FT6W1EV...=Platinum, 1FTVW1EV...=Lariat (which will be right fairly often, since most non-Platinum ER builds are Lariats), and 1FTVW1EL...=Pro (which will be wrong pretty often, because while a Pro at retail is always SR, there are a lot of SR XLT builds, too).

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If even trim level is not ID’d in VIN, then how does IRS confirm EV Tax Credit qualification, including MSRP? Is there a database, looking up MSRP by VIN? I doubt it- and I further doubt that IRS has ability to tell the difference between a $79,000 and an $81,000 Lightning, except as part of a detailed audit.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
If even trim level is not ID’d in VIN, then how does IRS confirm EV Tax Credit qualification, including MSRP? Is there a database, looking up MSRP by VIN? I doubt it- and I further doubt that IRS has ability to tell the difference between a $79,000 and an $81,000 Lightning, except as part of a detailed audit.
FORD (all EV manufacturers) send a detailed report in January by VIN and value, if there is a mis-match during automated "Underreporter" analysis the individual will get a CP-2000 or CP-2501 about 1-2 years after the return is filed.
Sponsored