• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What’s wrong with this picture? Ford Nav wants to strand me …

Ecstatic

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘03 Highlander, ‘83 Landcruiser, ‘22 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Temporarily retired
I’m parked two feet in front of an Electrify America charger, and Ford navigation wants me to head east on the freeway for 5 miles, exit, get back on heading west for five miles and exit to the charger. A 9.5 mile loop. Note, I only have 4 miles of range. The previous 100 miles the truck kept warning me there was no charger within range, but Google maps kept showing I was within range. I couldn’t figure out why until I arrived at the charger. @fordmotorcompany You can do better.

Ford F-150 Lightning What’s wrong with this picture? Ford Nav wants to strand me … IMG_2317

Ford F-150 Lightning What’s wrong with this picture? Ford Nav wants to strand me … IMG_2315
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
How new is that charging location? It looks like the nav system doesn’t see it as being on a drivable road and is directing you to the nearest spot to it on a drivable road. Mapping solutions aren’t perfect and pretty much any of them would do the same when directing you to a place they think you can’t drive to. Save the drama for actual problems and be smarter than an out of date map. Map updates will most likely fix this soon.

Also, watch some of the review vids where they test depleting the battery, it can go quite some miles past 0.

OP
OP

Ecstatic

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘03 Highlander, ‘83 Landcruiser, ‘22 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Temporarily retired
How new is that charging location? It looks like the nav system doesn’t see it as being on a drivable road and is directing you to the nearest spot to it on a drivable road. Mapping solutions aren’t perfect and pretty much any of them would do the same when directing you to a place they think you can’t drive to. Save the drama for actual problems and be smarter than an out of date map. Map updates will most likely fix this soon.

Also, watch some of the review vids where they test depleting the battery, it can go quite some miles past 0.
The chargers have been there more than a year, and I’ve used that charging station a dozen times in the past 8 months. I don’t need the nav to find it, but I do use it to gauge miles to destination compared to remaining range. Never has it previously tried to reroute me and added 9.5 miles to the destination, let alone showing the charging station in the middle of the interstate. This is a new problem, not old. Clearly the most recent map update was not a fix. As far as real problems, it may indeed be a real problem for another Ford driver who isn’t familiar with the area. Thanks for your useful tips, but I’ll pass on experimenting with driving below zero miles.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The Electrify America I use on occasion is locate in a mall complex, the NAV system wants me to turn right down a service road to an independent complex of store fronts, the while the charging facility is on the next side road, neither of these roads connect past the main intersection.

Ford F-150 Lightning What’s wrong with this picture? Ford Nav wants to strand me … 1701520171447

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
A huge reason this is important and a problem in cold weather. If Ford NAV can't properly route to a DCFC how can it be trusted to "Precondition for DCFC" properly prior to the arrival.

This is why it is so damn important to have a Manual Precondition for DCFC option!!!

A similar thing happened to me, in which Ford NAV simply would not re-route itself to the Charger and route I planned on using. Thus the preconditioning never occurred!!!

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I've had quirks like this, nav saying I had 17mi of range left, only a couple miles from home, and it was telling me to go charge 10 miles away so I can make it. It's really something else when your range circle edge appears on the map and it moves WITH you as you drive.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
The Electrify America I use on occasion is locate in a mall complex, the NAV system wants me to turn right down a service road to an independent complex of store fronts, the while the charging facility is on the next side road, neither of these roads connect past the main intersection.

1701520171447.png
It's started doing the same to me with a charger I use near Albany NY. I thought it was a one time glitch when I saw it a few weeks ago but it sounds just like the behavior you're describing. Bad map update, I guess.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Unfortunately, it's still not a great idea to blindly follow a gps.

At least you didn't drive into a lake or river.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Ford F-150 Lightning What’s wrong with this picture? Ford Nav wants to strand me … Screenshot 2023-12-02 8.58.07 AM

Ford F-150 Lightning What’s wrong with this picture? Ford Nav wants to strand me … Screenshot 2023-12-02 8.59.25 AM

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I've had quirks like this, nav saying I had 17mi of range left, only a couple miles from home, and it was telling me to go charge 10 miles away so I can make it.
That’s a well-known characteristic of the nav. It acts like it doesn’t know we can charge at home…..some people can’t!
It will try to route me to a charger every time if the predicted arrival SoC is below the “low battery” warning level.

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s a well-known characteristic of the nav. It acts like it doesn’t know we can charge at home…..some people can’t!
It will try to route me to a charger every time if the predicted arrival SoC is below the “low battery” warning level.
FYI… Ford NAV let me arrive home at under 10% last time I attempted on 6.3

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
FYI… Ford NAV let me arrive home at under 10% last time I attempted on 6.3
Very interesting. Did you have to stop for charging at all on the route? Wonder if somehow that entire option got turned off

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What’s your low battery warning level set at?

I admit, I don’t use the nav to get home much anymore - I know where I live! 😂
no idea I’ve never messed with it

but on a previous trip, detailed in the same thread, linked above, it would not allow me to do that. that was prior to 6.3 or 6.2, so I’m hoping something changed.
Sponsored