• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What is your SOH? Milage? and how do you use your Battery?

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I saw this thread last night and ordered the adapter in time to get next day delivery on Amazon. Checked it after I got home today just about 20k miles on my XLT SR and it's at 100% SOH...... I think this thing is lying to me or this is the best thermal management on a battery pack ever made. I precondition the pack/truck every time I drive in colder weather via my level 2 EVSE and have fast charged it like 4 times not charging more than 30% on any charge session for just enough to get to home on my level 2.
Sponsored

Box Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
2023 ER, 6k miles, 6 months, SoH 99.5%.
Plug and charge to 80% SoC more or less every other day with L2 10-11 kW.
One fast DC charge 160kW but only 20kWh.
Typically stay around 50%-80% SoC, a couple of times to 100% and once close to 0% (couple of miles left).
Any of you go lower than 20% frequently?

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Any of you go lower than 20% frequently?
I went down to 15% once and that is as low as I have gone and still looks like I have faster drop than you. It may be nature versus nurture kinda argument. I wonder if some of us just start with slightly worse cells.

Box Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You are probably right.
Just one non perfect or out of balance cell may reduce the overall SoH/SoC.
Just curious, what does the HVB SoC Variation Battery Modules field report in your truck (if using Car Scanner or whatever other name if other obd scanner)? I’m around 0.4%.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You are probably right.
Just one non perfect or out of balance cell may reduce the overall SoH/SoC.
Just curious, what does the HVB SoC Variation Battery Modules field report in your truck (if using Car Scanner or whatever other name if other obd scanner)? I’m around 0.4%.
Mine changes. SOC module variation is usually around 0.33% but I have seen it in this range 0.17% -0.53%. and module voltage variation usually 0V-0.01V but I have seen 0.02V

Last edited:

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I went down to 15% once and that is as low as I have gone and still looks like I have faster drop than you. It may be nature versus nurture kinda argument. I wonder if some of us just start with slightly worse cells.
I think one variable that is not being tracked well is ACCELERATION. I won’t say I baby mine, but I am definitely more driving as a recovering Prius driver over my youth with my 66 stang with the hipro 289. 😉🤷🏼‍♂️

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think one variable that is not being tracked well is ACCELERATION. I won’t say I baby mine, but I am definitely more driving as a recovering Prius driver over my youth with my 66 stang with the hipro 289. 😉🤷🏼‍♂️
I do have occasional laps in judgement but of those times, I floor it only 20% of the times. Usually don't go over 70% power to have a quick pass. I am more worried about regen in winter with cold battery. It is like bursts of DC fast charging without conditioning the battery. Without proper testing, we can only guess about how much impact each of these have.

Box Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine changes but SOC module variation is usually around 33% but I have seen it in this range 17% -53%. and module voltage variation usually 0V-0.01V but I have seen 0.02V
Mmmh, assuming it is computed on the distribution of the cells SoC over some range of values, it seems high. Not necessarily bad depending on the model. I haven’t look into it but perhaps it is possible to access the data for individual cells.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mmmh, assuming it is computed on the distribution of the cells SoC over some range of values, it seems high. Not necessarily bad depending on the model. I haven’t look into it but perhaps it is possible to access the data for individual cells.
‘sorry typo. this is what I meant:

Mine changes. SOC module variation is usually around 0.33% but I have seen it in this range 0.17% -0.53%. and module voltage variation usually 0V-0.01V but I have seen 0.02V

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I just finished a 1,250-mile trip towing my camper to Texas. Lots of DC fast charging, charging to >95%, discharging below 10%, and heavy throttle pulling my trailer through traffic. My battery health ticked down half a percent to 99.0%. That’s still 0.5% higher than it was a few months ago.

It’s all the same to me. I charged to 97% this morning to make sure I had enough to get to my destination without charging. I didn’t pay for 80% of the battery or power output, so I’m gonna use it all.

Sponsored

Box Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘sorry typo. this is what I meant:

Oh, that's much better :)
It was weird that the voltage variation was low, although it would have been somewhat plausible since the voltage curve is so flat and delta V really shows up at the low/high ends.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Just over 20k miles. HVB Age: 24 mo. 100% SoH displayed in CarScanner

But something doesn't sit right...

Displayed 90% SoC/Actual HVB SoC is 82%
HVB Energy to Empty: 108kWh
Displayed Usable: (108kWh/90%) = 120kWh
Actual Pack: (108kWh/82%) = 132kWh

Based on that set of numbers my battery degradation should be down about 8% of capacity and not 100% SoH...

At 8% degradation, it would be significantly higher than what I experienced on my 75D Tesla's and in line with what I experienced on my 90D time and mileage wise. The question now is if it will stabilize as those packs leveled off and settled around 10% degradation. On one car I only have 12% degradation over 200k miles.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Displayed 90% SoC/Actual HVB SoC is 82%
HVB Energy to Empty: 108kWh
Displayed Usable: (108kWh/90%) = 120kWh
Actual Pack: (108kWh/82%) = 132kWh
‘What was the battery temp when you measured this?

I don’t have a deep understanding of how these things work but if your numbers and calculations are correct, I wonder if SOH is independent of battery capacity. May be internal resistance is the limit of how fast it can charge and discharge or the likelihood of cell failiour. If anyone understand the relation between SOH and battery capacity, please let us know if this is just our assumption, or there is actually a relationship.

Last edited:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
‘What was the battery temp when you measured this?

I don’t have a deep understanding of how these things work but if your numbers and calculations are correct, I wonder if SOH is independent of battery capacity. May be internal resistance is the limit of how fast it can charge and discharge or the likelihood of cell failiour. If anyone understand the relation between SOH and battery capacity, please let us know if this is just our assumption, or there is actually a relationship.
HVB Temp was 53.6F

I don't think I have the answer on how SoH is measured or what it might actually indicate compared to battery capacity. @MickeyAO do you happen to know?

Other data points..
HVB SOC Variation in BM: 0.26%
HVB Voltage: 386.5V

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I’m 550 miles into my trip home to Minnesota pulling my small camper. My SoH briefly dropped to 99% a couple of days before leaving, but went back to 99.5% after about 100 miles into the trip. I had charged to 100% and my SoC was better than it should have been given my efficiency, so I think the computer recalibrated itself.

I’ve gone from 100% to single-digits more than a few times on this trip, and I don’t drive easy when I’m at low SoC. She likes it rough. 🚀

Ford F-150 Lightning What is your SOH? Milage?  and how do you use your Battery? PXL_20240411_214252322_Original
Ford F-150 Lightning What is your SOH? Milage?  and how do you use your Battery? IMG_0826
Sponsored