• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What SOC level does the Lightning start limiting throttle?

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Got in the truck this morning, cool high 50s, but not cold. Battery temp was nominal. Charge was about 47%, and I noticed the throttle was limited to 95%. I have seen it limit it previously, but at much lower states of charge, given everything else was in the optimum range temperature wise.

I only ask as I just finally got my module swap completed and can't help but be a little paranoid that something is still off.
The key point here is your battery module swap. (Most of your replies are just describing the normal temperature limiting.) I got my truck back after a battery module swap and had to immediately schedule a return appointment. Here is the written description I supplied to the service department when I returned the truck:

"Severe Power Limitation - Immediately after picking the truck, and as soon as I turned on to the Steese Highway and started to accelerate, the acceleration dropped dramatically. When I checked the available power (as indicated on the upper left quadrant of the left hand gauge of the driver's display ) it showed only 76% power available. Further attempts to accelerate up the Steese Hill on the way to CHSR resulted in even lower available power. At one point the gauge was showing only 19% available power and, even though the accelerator was floored, the truck could only go about 45 mph. The available power fluctuated up and down the rest of the way home but never returned to the 100% level where it always indicated before the battery module was replaced. After charging at home in a heated garage I regained 100% power for a period of time. However, after stopping in North Pole, I restarted the car and the power limit returned as soon as I tried to accelerate from the first stop light. That cycle of regaining 100% power for a some variable period of time after charging, then becoming power limited, is still occurring."

There are threads describing an "up to 30 day" period for your battery BMS to relearn the correct capacity and associated limits, but after three weeks I have seen little change. The 19% power limit I received is not something that should be acceptable to anyone receiving their vehicle back from servicing.

I'm guessing it is a simple case of a recalibration procedure that didn't take, but I should know more after Ford service has had the second chance to look at it.
Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
95% in coolish weather if normal until the battery pack warms a bit. I've noticed this is pretty consistent if the battery pack is cold-soaked below 60°F but it warms up in 5-10 minutes of driving. I noticed this more especially after the BECM software update.

In your case, did you have a battery module swapped or the BECM or both? You may need to go through a few charge cycles for the BECM to gather history and to balance the battery packs.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Make sure you understand temperature of battery. When you wake up and the truck has been sitting all night at 30 degrees, battery is pretty close to that temp. When it warms up and it's 60, and the truck hasn't moved, battery temp is pretty close to... Yup, 30 degrees.

I have noticed that the Lightning battery warms up much more while driving than the Mach-E, and it also doesn't lose heat like the Mach-E does.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Last week Friday 3/29 afternoon, mine showed 93% motor power when my SOC was 51%

Ford F-150 Lightning What SOC level does the Lightning start limiting throttle? 1712016123611-kl

By Saturday evening it was 92% with the SOC at 38%

Ford F-150 Lightning What SOC level does the Lightning start limiting throttle? 1712015997957-yw

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER