• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

While we wait for Ford's OTAs, here's what Tesla dropped today

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - Lariat ER
I'm not saying all these updates are meaningful, but Tesla just sent a nice set of updates to my car today. Hopefully Ford will be able to match this level someday.

Ford F-150 Lightning While we wait for Ford's OTAs, here's what Tesla dropped today tesla-updates
Sponsored

OP
OP
trailcat

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - Lariat ER
Looks like youā€™re getting a few goodies to offset the ā€˜restrictiveā€˜ changes to your AP.
Tesla puts out a major update at the end of each year with lots of goodies. I used to have FSD on a previous Tesla, but it is definitely not worth the upgrade over Autopilot.

Compared to Blue Cruise, I like with BC that you can take your hands off the wheel. You can't even do this with FSD which was poised to be Tesla's eventual robotaxi system.

On Tesla's side, I do like how you can see the traffic around you on the dash and also automatically view side camera feeds when changing lanes. The software on Tesla is more refined, smooth, and intuitive.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
More fart sounds and stuff that you can do with CarPlay. My 2009 Fusion has been able to call 911 for the last 13 years. They didnā€™t mention that they removed Disney+ because Musk is having a spat with Bob Iger.

Sponsored

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
Iā€™m really struggling to see what Iā€™m missing from this update by not having a Tesla.
You're missing a big one; the fact Tesla actually says WHATS IN THE UPDATE. It's also adding functionality to the vehicle. Fords added, what, two maybe three functional items in their updates so far?

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
Tesla puts out a major update at the end of each year with lots of goodies. I used to have FSD on a previous Tesla, but it is definitely not worth the upgrade over Autopilot.

Compared to Blue Cruise, I like with BC that you can take your hands off the wheel. You can't even do this with FSD which was poised to be Tesla's eventual robotaxi system.

On Tesla's side, I do like how you can see the traffic around you on the dash and also automatically view side camera feeds when changing lanes. The software on Tesla is more refined, smooth, and intuitive.
I find the time between nags comparable to the amount of time BC goes before it decides it needs your attention too. In my short time using BC I find Teslaā€™s speed limit recognition more accurate and ease of adjusting speed limit compensation better. On a road trip where we were trying to conserve battery and stay slightly below the speed limit and BC was constantly deciding it needed to speed up to 5 mph over. The nav wouldnā€™t let me change the compensation without stopping the truck even though I was a passenger. Finding the down button on the wheel is a lot more difficult than Teslaā€™s roller wheel. My wife stopped using it after it did that twice to her. This is just for the comparison of BCā€™s basic functionality. Depending on how old your version of FSDb was it is noticeably better than last year, but I agree the $ from free AP to FSDb is not worth the price jump.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Tesla's world is boring. The adventurous life we have with our trucks is on a different level. Our trucks are individualized. Each of us have a different combination of updates. No two trucks are the same. We get to discover on our own, like a scavenger hunt, the feature that have changed. What has improved, what is broken. None of this would have been possible if we were told what has changed. Numbers for software updates are just as random. Two different updates with the same number or one with no numbers. Anything goes. Discovering that sharing driving data in the truck turns on charging details in the app makes you wonder what else you are going to discover next. Tesla guys are missing out on all the fun.

Last edited:

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
You're missing a big one; the fact Tesla actually says WHATS IN THE UPDATE. It's also adding functionality to the vehicle. Fords added, what, two maybe three functional items in their updates so far?
Totally agree. People love to make fun of Teslas cause they add ā€œfunā€ or ā€œgimmickyā€ stuff like light show or console games on the side.

Id say that the remote camera views, auto blind spot camera, and mobile app trip plan are three legitimate utility functions added in one update alone and thatā€™s more than can be said about all of my Lightning updates cumulatively.

I think the biggest thing that is overlooked is the time period that Tesla supports their vehicles with software updates. This recent update got pushed to every car that has autopilot cameras, some of which are nearly 10 years old. Contrast to the Lightning, which I expect a few years of updates and bug fixes at a maximum before development is completely abandoned once a newer version of Sync hardware/software is developed (as seen by the Sync 3 system in our previous Fords)

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
Looks like youā€™re getting a few goodies to offset the ā€˜restrictiveā€˜ changes to your AP.
You mean the massive recall of nearly every Tesla ever built? oh...its just a software setting not requiring Tesla to pay a dealer, give loaner cars, etc...got it. :)

Rivian has been really good about monthly-ish updates that come fairly well documented. it is good to see what to expect in the behavior.

I would just like Ford to stop turning my Propulsion sound back on with every update. Someone really wants me to be comfortable with my move from ICE. At least the stopped disabling 1-pedal driving at the same time. That caused a somewhat close call the last time.

Sponsored

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
Iā€™ve had Teslas for almost 7 years, and my Lightning for 1 year. I prefer Autopilot because unlike BlueCruise, it doesnā€™t cut out almost every time there is a bend in the road. Question: when my hands arenā€™t on the wheel, what am I supposed to do with them?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is not true at all, most of their update come like this:

Ford F-150 Lightning While we wait for Ford's OTAs, here's what Tesla dropped today IMG_0438

But they are better at their major updates.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Iā€™ve had Teslas for almost 7 years, and my Lightning for 1 year. I prefer Autopilot because unlike BlueCruise, it doesnā€™t cut out almost every time there is a bend in the road. Question: when my hands arenā€™t on the wheel, what am I supposed to do with them?
We have vastly different experiences. Unlike AP, Blue Clues wonā€™t phantom brake or just completely stop working once the sun goes down. AP loves to lunge forward and stop like 20 cars behind, it truly is trash since the sensors were taken away.

As far as updates, the only updates I want from Ford is either faster charging, more range, sentry mode, more power or more driving modes.

Other than that all the other crap Tesla puts out I have never used.