• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

juddisjudd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Honda Odyssey
I have a feeling these trucks are waiting for chips or some other component, if not I would have expected them to be shipped already. Any ideas on why they are being held?
Sponsored

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
I have a feeling these trucks are waiting for chips or some other component, if not I would have expected them to be shipped already. Any ideas on why they are being held?
I mean if they actually built several thousand prior to shipping and the average truck holds 8-10 trucks that’s hundreds of trucks. Slightly less rail cars, plus the time and manpower to load them. It won’t happen overnight. Just my thoughts. Could also be chip issues but I feel they took chips from other models to ensure a successful launch of the F150L.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This article was from 3 months ago so I bet some of the chip issues still linger even while the lightning is Fords priority. Covid driven sporadic factory closings in Asia has continued the supply chain issues. Food is next due to Ukraine :(

Chip shortage forces Ford to cut production of F-150, Bronco and other important vehicles
Michael Wayland
PUBLISHED FRI, FEB 4 2022 7:25 PM EST

Michael Wayland | CNBC
DETROIT – Ford Motor is cutting production next week of several key products due to an ongoing global shortage of semiconductor chips.
The automaker on Friday confirmed production downtime next week for the Ford Bronco and Explorer SUVs; the Ford F-150 and Ranger pickups; the Ford Mustang Mach-E electric crossover; and the Lincoln Aviator SUV at plants in Michigan, Illinois, Missouri and Mexico due to the parts shortage.
The automaker also is cutting some productions of the F-150 and Ford Transit cargo vans at plants in Michigan and Missouri.
The cuts signal the chip shortage that devastated the auto industry last year continues to linger. They come a day after Ford significantly missed Wall Street’s earnings expectations due to lower-than-expected production caused by the supply chain issues, causing shares to tumble 9.7% on Friday.
“The global semiconductor shortage continues to affect Ford’s North American plants – along with automakers and other industries around the world,” Ford said in an emailed statement. “Behind the scenes, we have teams working on how to maximize production, with a continued commitment to building every high-demand vehicle for our customers with the quality they expect.”
The fact that Ford is cutting some of its most profitable and in-demand models such as the Bronco, Mach-E and F-150 shows automakers continue to battle with the problem despite many in the industry expecting a gradual improvement in the supply of chips in 2022.
Ford sold 1.9 million vehicles in the U.S. in 2021, down by 6.8% as it managed through a global shortage of semiconductor chips. The parts problem forced Ford and other automakers to sporadically shutter plants and depleted vehicle inventories.
After increasing by roughly 140% in 2021, shares of Ford are down by 13.5% this year.

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
manufacturing a certain number of vehicles before release seems to be part of Fords strategy... not sure whats driving this. Clearly they are holding on to trucks rather then delivering ASAP

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
This article was from 3 months ago so I bet some of the chip issues still linger even while the lightning is Fords priority. Covid driven sporadic factory closings in Asia has continued the supply chain issues. Food is next due to Ukraine :(

Chip shortage forces Ford to cut production of F-150, Bronco and other important vehicles
Michael Wayland
PUBLISHED FRI, FEB 4 2022 7:25 PM EST

Michael Wayland | CNBC
DETROIT – Ford Motor is cutting production next week of several key products due to an ongoing global shortage of semiconductor chips.
The automaker on Friday confirmed production downtime next week for the Ford Bronco and Explorer SUVs; the Ford F-150 and Ranger pickups; the Ford Mustang Mach-E electric crossover; and the Lincoln Aviator SUV at plants in Michigan, Illinois, Missouri and Mexico due to the parts shortage.
The automaker also is cutting some productions of the F-150 and Ford Transit cargo vans at plants in Michigan and Missouri.
The cuts signal the chip shortage that devastated the auto industry last year continues to linger. They come a day after Ford significantly missed Wall Street’s earnings expectations due to lower-than-expected production caused by the supply chain issues, causing shares to tumble 9.7% on Friday.
“The global semiconductor shortage continues to affect Ford’s North American plants – along with automakers and other industries around the world,” Ford said in an emailed statement. “Behind the scenes, we have teams working on how to maximize production, with a continued commitment to building every high-demand vehicle for our customers with the quality they expect.”
The fact that Ford is cutting some of its most profitable and in-demand models such as the Bronco, Mach-E and F-150 shows automakers continue to battle with the problem despite many in the industry expecting a gradual improvement in the supply of chips in 2022.
Ford sold 1.9 million vehicles in the U.S. in 2021, down by 6.8% as it managed through a global shortage of semiconductor chips. The parts problem forced Ford and other automakers to sporadically shutter plants and depleted vehicle inventories.
After increasing by roughly 140% in 2021, shares of Ford are down by 13.5% this year.
CFO reported 2 weeks ago 53,000 completed vehicles awaiting chips

about 53,000 vehicles on wheels, completed but awaiting installation of components affected by the semiconductor supply shortage.

speculation to say if lightnings, while ford want launch to go well, there is starting to be quite a backlog of trucks that need shipping.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
FORD has prioritized resources to complete all current Lightning builds, which is why many ICE lines which use common components are getting slowed down

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickbommer

Nickbommer

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning xlt ordered
Occupation
IT
Went back today, almost all of the stickers are Blue. Saw a few green ones. But there were even more trucks than yesterday.
Did you happen to look at any window stickers? Blue? Green? I assume a Ford owned parking lot?
I went back today and there were some that were green but most were blue. There were even more trucks today. I’d say it’s a good sign!

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Someone needs to go put some gps trackers on a few of those trucks so we can have live updates on when they move. :)

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Went back today, almost all of the stickers are Blue. Saw a few green ones. But there were even more trucks than yesterday.

I went back today and there were some that were green but most were blue. There were even more trucks today. I’d say it’s a good sign!
I’m envious that you get to see a real truck in person, but thanks for going back and checking.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Wait ?!?!?! You went back and you don't have good shots of the window stickers? We're going to have to ask that your truck get pushed to the back of the line!!

Sponsored

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning SR XLT 312A
I can confirm these trucks are still there and I I saw more being dropped off when I drove by. Also - still tons of Lightnings parked on the track as previously reported.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Either a) there are issues with the truck(chips, software, logistics) or b) as some have suggested, Ford is waiting to deliver to extend credits

Lightninorian

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Pro
Occupation
Firefighter
Just an idea. Just writing out loud. It has been said by Ford Reps including Farley himself that Pros will be delivered first. The first customer Pros will be built starting the first week in June. That gives them about 2-2 1/2 weeks to get them shipped and delivered in spring 2022. That's fast but Michigan and local dealers would be easy if Ford is motivated. One of the easiest ways for to limit crazy markups from dealers and customers reselling is to "flood" the market with lightnings. If they can deliver 3-5k or more lightnings in a matter of weeks, it may "limit" it somewhat and customers will get their trucks in a short time frame from each other. Dealers get their demos and then it's off to my23 orders and Ford has made good on their claims and we all drive off into the sunset to live happily ever after.
Just some daydreaming on a lazy sunny Sunday afternoon in the beautiful Sierras of Northern California. Feel free to provide alternate ideas. My build date got pushed back to 6/6 week from 5/30. Can't wait for my Rapid Red Pro to get here. Gas is $6.39 a gallon by me, worse in other parts of CA. Even at PG&E rates electric is cheaper than gas by far.

Edit: plus the tax credit limit isn't reached until 3rd quarter if they deliver most remaining built trucks first part of July after Pros by June 21

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I think it's most likely a chip or transport shortage, but the net impact of extending the tax credit will be appreciated by those taking delivery in 4th quarter of CY22.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I agree with the chip or transport issue, but there is no reason for transport shortage. I get it may be harder to get a truck or train, but they are shipping only a fraction of the ICE F150's they did at one time, so they still only need a fraction of the transport capability they would have a year or two ago.

I know the "Pro delivered first" was said, but I almost think someone had to mess up what they meant or didn't mean literally what was truly said. There is no reason simply to deliver a Pro first to hold this many other built trucks. Pro's also qualify for the tax credit.

I'd love to think Ford was trying to extend the tax credit for their customers, but first I don't believe they care enough about their customers to do that and second I don't believe they are nimble enough to do that.

It's really starting to smell like some sort of issue, chip, software, I don't know, hard to believe any of the other issues however.
Sponsored