• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Simple Question: Can I use my current generator (gas/portable) hookup to my box?

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning lariat ext range
Hey
Right now, power goes out and I fire up my generator. It's portable so I have a line from the generator to my house. I plug it in and filp the switch on my box that changes my 'in' from the grid to the generator. Can I do the same with my LR Lariat? That is, just run line from the truck and flip the switch on my box? Does anyone know? I imagine I am not the only one with this setup
Sponsored

OP
OP
julian

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YES!!!!!!!!!!! You are the best. Thank you!
However, does anyone know if we will have access to pro-power on board (4:45 of the video posted above) in the Lightning such that I don't have to subscribe/install/pay etc... In other words, if I do what TFL did in this video, will the Lightning do what the Hybrid does?

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
YES!!!!!!!!!!! You are the best. Thank you!
However, does anyone know if we will have access to pro-power on board (4:45 of the video posted above) in the Lightning such that I don't have to subscribe/install/pay etc... In other words, if I do what TFL did in this video, will the Lightning do what the Hybrid does?
Yes, the pro power onboard plug in the back doesn't care what is plugged in as long as it doesn't exceed the capacity. I think most people will go this route for feeding their home as the extra cost for the inverter doesn't seem worth it to me.
You pretty much have 7200W available for you to use however you want

OP
OP
julian

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sponsored
OP
OP
julian

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, the pro power onboard plug in the back doesn't care what is plugged in as long as it doesn't exceed the capacity. I think most people will go this route for feeding their home as the extra cost for the inverter doesn't seem worth it to me.
You pretty much have 7200W available for you to use however you want
This is Awesome news

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yep, keep it simple....

OP
OP
julian

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You know what I hate. A) My loud, stupid generator B) Spending more money on Ford than I have to. So, if a simple solution exists, awesome!
You guys are awesome. Thank you.... Is anyone else doing this? I mean, I can't be the only one with a generator and a whole house feed that bought a Lightning.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Yup, many of us are considering the simpler though manual process.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I will wait until I get my Lariat to get excited about the possibility of tapping into the truck battery through the 240volt AC plug in the bed of the truck to power my home instead of using a generator. I have an Eaton back up power receptacle and a UL listed mechanical interlock from Siemens to separate generator power from utility power.
Not being an electrician, I don’t know what happens when I have unequal loads on each 120v side of the 240v power source. Does that mess up the Lightning inverter? Others has speculated but don’t know until we get these trucks. Second, what happens with the GF circuit when attached to my home system that has a neutral line back to the utility power lines as well as a copper grounding bar and a ground connected to my copper water line. Does the Lightning system shut down when connected to my electrical panel? People on this forum have speculated yes and no.
Losing power in the winter is no problem since the snow muffles the sound of my generator and the neighbors windows are closed. In the summer, it’s a different story. I would love for this to work but the cynic in me has doubts.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I have read that a transfer switch that is compatible with bonded neutral will be required.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
You know what I hate. A) My loud, stupid generator B) Spending more money on Ford than I have to. So, if a simple solution exists, awesome!
You guys are awesome. Thank you.... Is anyone else doing this? I mean, I can't be the only one with a generator and a whole house feed that bought a Lightning.
My father is going to do it. He has propane tanks setup for his generator and full house transfer switch. I’m on the fence waiting for my upgrade permit, but think I will save a lot of money and go with the transfer switch and just do it manually too.

AdAstra911

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
DIY enthusiast, IT
I think this video has a similar set-up from Fast Lane Truck. Check it out, might help.

it's a great idea, thank you for sharing! better than having a usual generator, in this case, comparing with mine(this)

Last edited:

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning SR XLT 312A
it's a great idea, thank you for sharing! better than having an usual generator in this case
I noticed my house came with a transfer switch and a plug outdoors for a generator also so I’ll plan on using it too.

Anyone know where you can get a super long cable for it? Any good online vendors?

The outdoor plug is in the backyard and truck will be in the garage or front driveway. I mean I could drive the truck into the backyard but would rather not 😂. I think I would need a 100ft cord.

My electrician who installed my EV charger said you can make one but not sure I have the skill set for that as I’m not that handy.

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
My neighborhood has experienced alot of power outages this year due to trees touching power lines on windy days so fortunately for me, my '21 powerboost has the 7.2 pro power on board that I've been using to power the internet, tv, coffee maker, wife's laptop for at home work and our cell phones. For my garage door, I've got a craftsman door opener with battery DC backup so it will work for about 12 up and down cycles.
I've found the capability in the powerboost invaluable abd at the time of purchase didn't think I would need it so much. So to have even more capability with the Lightning is just mind blowing. Neighbors ask how ive got lights and garage door functionslity and i show them im plugged into my truck and thry just cant believe it. It's not my grandads '79 f150 truck that I first learned how to drive, but its amazing how far manufacturers have come with producing capabilities we consumers can actually benefit from. My wife will be getting the powerboost when I get the Lightning. It's just too awesome to give up. We will trade her '20 ecoboost in instead. If I could only decide on a dang color!😫
Sponsored