• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Got a Lemon.... Make Lemonade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
The problem is this is an electric truck. I shouldn't need an OBD reader - it should just display the errors. You needed ODB when you had a car with no displays or computers that were accessible to the end user. Now it should just show me, and my dealer should be able to connect to the car remotely like onstar or tesla and see whats wrong with it. Its still a 1908 Model T mentality.
I have had 3 Teslas. The vehicle tells you that there is something wrong, but it does not provide you with details. The S Show to get something fixed there is the same if not worst than any other automaker.

but a again, we spent a s load of money on a truck and we want it to work. i hope you get it sort it out soon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
heffneil

heffneil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I had a modelx and now a model y. Tesla can tell me whats wrong, sent a guy the same or next day to my location and fixed it. It was a much better experience than what I am dealing with here. One tech who can do anything. Only one time did my tesla not drive and that was a botched part swap during service. It did take 5 days and I raised holy hell.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I had a modelx and now a model y. Tesla can tell me whats wrong, sent a guy the same or next day to my location and fixed it. It was a much better experience than what I am dealing with here. One tech who can do anything. Only one time did my tesla not drive and that was a botched part swap during service. It did take 5 days and I raised holy hell.
I know there is a lot of Tesla bashing, but my MYP has never been un-drivable. My truck was enjoyable to drive, but considering Lemon Law options now.

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

Straight2VHS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE, 1995 Mustang 5.0
I just surrendered my 2022 Lightning ER last week in a buyback for a little more than what I paid. I did net about $10k in tax credits and state rebates though. Dealer had my truck for over 3 months total trying to resolve an issue with the tailgate. Sticking with my 2021 MachE GT PE.

OP
OP
heffneil

heffneil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I know there is a lot of Tesla bashing, but my MYP has never been un-drivable. My truck was enjoyable to drive, but considering Lemon Law options now.
I asked Ford to escalate and they gave me the efax and PO box for legal counsel.

Sponsored
OP
OP
heffneil

heffneil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I just surrendered my 2022 Lightning ER last week in a buyback for a little more than what I paid. I did net about $10k in tax credits and state rebates though. Dealer had my truck for over 3 months total trying to resolve an issue with the tailgate. Sticking with my 2021 MachE GT PE.
its a shame. I like my truck- its smooth driving - when it drives but how many bad things can happen to one vehicle before you wonder if the guys assembling it were drunk.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
My two Teslas have been the most reliable, lowest maintenance vehicles I've ever owned. No contest. And I've owned a lot...

Tesla bashing is a thing around here, but not too bad. I see a lot of fellow Tesla people here. OTOH, the Tesla bashing has become downright toxic and annoying over on the Rivian forums. Whatever...
I asked Ford to escalate and they gave me the efax and PO box for legal counsel.
You should reach back out Ford about this. A PO Box is totally unacceptable means of contact and correspondence. That is an outright stall tactic. An e-fax? seriously? LOL. See my comment below about consulting an attorney.

I went through the lemon process with Ford about 18 years ago on an Excursion. But I've heard they've changed their lemon policy stuff now and they require you to file a lemon law claim in accordance with your state's policies if you're in a state that has such things.

Contact your state attorney general's office and ask them how best to proceed with a lemon law claim. They should have guidance, perhaps even standardized claim forms and such. You may want to consult with an attorney that handles auto lemon law claims. Not that Ford or the dealership can really dispute anything here once the vehicle has been out of commission for enough time to be considered a lemon. But having guidance from someone who understands the process can be very helpful. I know some states actually require the automaker/dealerships to pay your counsel expenses on a successful lemon claim.

...also most states will consider a comparable loaner as a valid solution while your vehicle is being fixed, thus stopping the clock on your lemon claim. A comparable loaner needs to be an equivalent pickup truck, not some compact SUV or some other car that they can stick you with in a pinch. You could also reasonably argue that an ICE pickup is not comparable since it will (in most places) cost you more per mile to operate vs. your Lightning.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
So sorry about the experience’s!! Great video.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Now it should just show me, and my dealer should be able to connect to the car remotely like onstar or tesla and see whats wrong with it. Its still a 1908 Model T mentality.
They can unless the systems were totally dead, your service manager is incompetent .

OP
OP
heffneil

heffneil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
My two Teslas have been the most reliable, lowest maintenance vehicles I've ever owned. No contest. And I've owned a lot...

Tesla bashing is a thing around here, but not too bad. I see a lot of fellow Tesla people here. OTOH, the Tesla bashing has become downright toxic and annoying over on the Rivian forums. Whatever...

You should reach back out Ford about this. A PO Box is totally unacceptable means of contact and correspondence. That is an outright stall tactic. An e-fax? seriously? LOL. See my comment below about consulting an attorney.

I went through the lemon process with Ford about 18 years ago on an Excursion. But I've heard they've changed their lemon policy stuff now and they require you to file a lemon law claim in accordance with your state's policies if you're in a state that has such things.

Contact your state attorney general's office and ask them how best to proceed with a lemon law claim. They should have guidance, perhaps even standardized claim forms and such. You may want to consult with an attorney that handles auto lemon law claims. Not that Ford or the dealership can really dispute anything here once the vehicle has been out of commission for enough time to be considered a lemon. But having guidance from someone who understands the process can be very helpful. I know some states actually require the automaker/dealerships to pay your counsel expenses on a successful lemon claim.

...also most states will consider a comparable loaner as a valid solution while your vehicle is being fixed, thus stopping the clock on your lemon claim. A comparable loaner needs to be an equivalent pickup truck, not some compact SUV or some other car that they can stick you with in a pinch. You could also reasonably argue that an ICE pickup is not comparable since it will (in most places) cost you more per mile to operate vs. your Lightning.
My understanding is that you need to give them written notice. I'd love to get a replacement - but I that's probably not going to happen. I could probably make a little money trading it in somewhere. Once I have a picture of the window sticker I will see what carvana will give me.
They can unless the systems were totally dead, your service manager is incompetent .
I think that's evident by my post. He claims that their rep from Ford didn't know either. I want to talk to that guy. But I can't get his number and its pissing me off!

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The Tesla bashing here is just ribbing from most of us. Tesla is doing a lot of things right that others should have no shame in copying.

The Service Dept can see your codes remotely without the OBDII, I have experienced it first hand. They have all the codes at the click of a button. But they don’t make any money by telling you what the code is over the phone and they can’t charge Ford without the vehicle in Service. Ford needs a mobile repair service for their EVs badly.

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP
heffneil

heffneil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
According to my service manager they are going to start mobile service. Meanwhile they can't get enough guys IN the shop so good luck with that.

OP
OP
heffneil

heffneil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning

My understanding is that you need to give them written notice. I'd love to get a replacement - but I that's probably not going to happen. I could probably make a little money trading it in somewhere. Once I have a picture of the window sticker I will see what carvana will give me.
What was your process for the buyback?

Straight2VHS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE, 1995 Mustang 5.0

What was your process for the buyback?
Process was simple. Dealer could never get the truck to connect to the Ford server to download module updates needed to get the tailgate working. They gave up, truck sat for 3 months. Someone from Ford RAV reached out to me to collect all of the info they needed. Since the issue was present at mile 1, I didn’t have any prorated mileage. Left the car at the dealer with under 500 miles on the odometer. I kept the pro charger that was sent to me. I received a check for the full amount I paid for the truck plus an additional $500 or so. Check was handed to me right after signing the paperwork. Gave them the title and extra set of keys and left.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Btw I was livid about the dragging so I spoke to the service manager, and he said yeah we don't know and I asked my Ford rep and he didn't know either. Someone sent me this link:

Good for everyone to know because it shows how to hard reset your truck!
That video is gold, thanks for sharing.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.