• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Ok, looking at options for tonneau covers for my truck. I live in Seattle, so both weather protection as well as some level of security is necessary. Ontop of that, something that I don’t see mentioned very often that I’m thinking about is weight. Not looking to be a ‘ultra light weight weenie’, but I know I’m also going to be close to payload with our RV.

Anyways, I’ve had a bakflip MX4 in the past - really liked the back flip, hated how it would block my back window. The few times I took it off, it was dang heavy. I can’t seem to find specs on weight though.

I’ve also had the stock Tacoma Tonneau 3 section flip style cover. This guy only opened up 2/3 of the way and was slightly annoying (maybe because the bed is already so short). It was also pretty heavy.

I’m considering a top rolling metal cover, but saw some with shipping weight of 90+ lbs. Seems awfully heavy.

Finally I’m considering a Retrax style cover. Seems like best of all worlds, but I can’t find a weight spec. If they’re going to be 150+ lbs then I might pass?

Anybody ever consider these three factors (weight / security / weather) in a cover? Any guidance?
Sponsored

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3, 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Network Architect
I was looking for something that provided decent shelter from weather, security, and I wanted to be able to add bike racks on top of it. I ended up with the Retrax ProXR, the bike rack desire limited my options quite a bit.

The cover is about 90lbs and it does take up a little bit of room in the bed for the canister. Not a big deal for me, but something you may need to consider. Overall I am really happy with the durability and usefulness of the cover. Security is top-notch as well.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I ended up getting the Ford Accessory roll up hard cover. It’s actually better than I thought and I think provides added security.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax B4A51210-2F58-4270-9C7B-3C73C1953BA8

Ford F-150 Lightning Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax B3E0D474-E59C-4C6D-BB75-51EC5345FD5E

tylthom7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Fx4
Occupation
Retired
I ended up getting the Ford Accessory roll up hard cover. It’s actually better than I thought and I think provides added security.

B4A51210-2F58-4270-9C7B-3C73C1953BA8.jpeg

B3E0D474-E59C-4C6D-BB75-51EC5345FD5E.jpeg
Do you have the automatic tailgate and if so, will the tailgate open automatically with your cover closed? Thank you

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I really like my LoMax cover. It’s sleek so it looks good, easy to deal with, easy and light to remove so I can put bikes and other things in the bed, and doesn’t take up too much space.

Sponsored
OP
OP

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
I guess I should post an update. I ended up finding a Gator Recoil on Amazon warehouse that fit my truck for a bit under $600. It seemed to check all the boxes (not a heavy brick, doesn’t block the back window, doesn’t make me carry around another key) so I bought it.

Put it on last night and I’m going to give it 3 stars so far. It was a warehouse deal, so I won’t hold a broken bracket against it (waiting for Gator to get back to me about a replacement), but I will hold the fidelyness of setting it up as a con. I’ve adjusted the side rails multiple times now and I still don’t think it’s perfect. Locking mechanism is good. It doesn’t slide as smoothly as I was hoping for, but it also doesn’t have ball bearings on each slat, so that makes sense. Definitely gets the job done. My biggest complaint is that the rails, or more so the clamps that secure the rails to the truck have more play in them than I’d like. I’m not sure if I got a model for 2020’s and the 2021’s are ~1” wider or if this is just how it is.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Do you have the automatic tailgate and if so, will the tailgate open automatically with your cover closed? Thank you
Yes, it automatically opens with no problems.

OP
OP

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Posting another update. I emailed Gator to get a replacement bracket for the one that was broken and learned something… hilarious.

After 2 days, Gator emails me back. ‘Contact Retrax.com for replacement parts’. I had a feeling these were just re-branded Retrax covers, but this confirms it. I call retrax.com and they were more than happy to send me a new part for the cover.

The model I bought, the Gator Recoil doesn’t seem to have an equivalent Retrax cover, but the next model up does. Definitely price shop the two as they’re basically the same product with a different sticker on the top.

Once I get the new part and have some more time to fiddle with the install I’ll post some pictures.

kab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER (Atlas Blue)
Posting another update. I emailed Gator to get a replacement bracket for the one that was broken and learned something… hilarious.

After 2 days, Gator emails me back. ‘Contact Retrax.com for replacement parts’. I had a feeling these were just re-branded Retrax covers, but this confirms it. I call retrax.com and they were more than happy to send me a new part for the cover.

The model I bought, the Gator Recoil doesn’t seem to have an equivalent Retrax cover, but the next model up does. Definitely price shop the two as they’re basically the same product with a different sticker on the top.

Once I get the new part and have some more time to fiddle with the install I’ll post some pictures.
I'm guessing you've received the new part by now...how's the cover working out for you?

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Ok, looking at options for tonneau covers for my truck. I live in Seattle, so both weather protection as well as some level of security is necessary. Ontop of that, something that I don’t see mentioned very often that I’m thinking about is weight. Not looking to be a ‘ultra light weight weenie’, but I know I’m also going to be close to payload with our RV.

Anyways, I’ve had a bakflip MX4 in the past - really liked the back flip, hated how it would block my back window. The few times I took it off, it was dang heavy. I can’t seem to find specs on weight though.

I’ve also had the stock Tacoma Tonneau 3 section flip style cover. This guy only opened up 2/3 of the way and was slightly annoying (maybe because the bed is already so short). It was also pretty heavy.

I’m considering a top rolling metal cover, but saw some with shipping weight of 90+ lbs. Seems awfully heavy.

Finally I’m considering a Retrax style cover. Seems like best of all worlds, but I can’t find a weight spec. If they’re going to be 150+ lbs then I might pass?

Anybody ever consider these three factors (weight / security / weather) in a cover? Any guidance?
Had soft trifold, Soft roll up, One piece fiberglass and seen fold down accordion style. The last I like because you can paint the whole thing the color of your truck. I don't like because when you open it up you have to have all the space where the folds are with nothing in it or it will hit. The soft trifold tattoo was nice except like you said could only open up two sections or take it off entirely and security was an issue. The hard fiberglass was fantastic looked great however very limiting depending on what you use your bed for. I also have the backflip mx4 on my 6 1/2 ft F-150 bed. I love the fact I can raise and lower the tailgate with a Tonneau cover latched in place and the tailgate closes properly as well as opens. I also agree it does block my backwards vision, with my most recent over there update on my 21 Platinum I can press my camera button and see the camera that's in the third brake light at speeds. Additionally it's really well built and I think mine weighs 68 lb for the 5'6 bed 72 lb 73 lb for my 6 and 1/2 ft.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I love my Extang Encore tri-fold, where the FRONT panel can be flipped on it's own, or the rear two can all flip up to the cab, WITHOUT blocking the cab, etc., or you can EASILY simply tri-fold the whole thing and remove it from it's mounts and into the bed, if needed.... I even spent the NIGHT in the bed on my comfortable full BedRug, with RAIN...and no leaks.

OP
OP

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
I'm guessing you've received the new part by now...how's the cover working out for you?
I received the parts and have to admit I only installed the trim piece. The cover works just fine otherwise and I don’t baby it, so it hasn’t been an issue.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the roll up cover. The box in the back of the bed has been annoying on a few occasions and I had a 2x4 smack into it pretty hard denting it, but it works fine. I wish there was a handle ontop to make closing it with the tailgate closed a bit easier. The cover does rattle a bit, which I can hear if the back window is open.

For the price I paid, I’d buy it again. For my use case I like it more than a bakflip.

• Love
Reactions: kab

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata

B4A51210-2F58-4270-9C7B-3C73C1953BA8.jpeg

B3E0D474-E59C-4C6D-BB75-51EC5345FD5E.jpeg
I got that one as well and really liked it until it almost immediately started to fall apart. Apparently, it’s a known issue and I’m waiting to hear back from Ford.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax CF463D59-1487-40FE-9A01-C83F384522E0

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic

I have installed the RETRAX MX ONE with T track rails. The composite cover which can hold 200lbs on top of the cover. Composites are light. The canister with the cover and the rails is around 50lbs. If you consider Aluminium cover then the cover is rated at 400lbs and a bit heavier. Around 75lbs. I also installed a TRUXEDO ELEVATE rack that mounts to the T rails and a TRUXEDO tie downs ( kit of 4 ) on the T rails.
I am extremely happy with the whole rig.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax PXL_20220807_225500624

Ford F-150 Lightning Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax PXL_20220807_225448794

Ford F-150 Lightning Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax PXL_20220807_225433961

Alan168

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum, Rapid Red Metallic
Occupation
Retired
I've had a Roll X from Bakflip for 10 years on my ice Lariat. Your pic shows the felt falling down just like mine did after 8 years. The Ford cover is identical to my Roll X. The felt does not provide any structural purpose but it prevents the aluminum slats from marring the black cover, without the felt you get a series of lines across the cover. It doesn't look terrible, but it is noticeable. I removed my felt and cleaned the sticky adhesive off the aluminum slats, which was a big job! I don't know of any long term fix and Roll X offers a model that does not have the felt. Other than this, I love my Roll X and will be getting a new one for my Lightning.

I'll be interested if Ford has a solution, even if it's too late for me. There are a lot of truck owners with Roll X covers that would love to hear if Ford has a solution!
Sponsored