• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2023 Refund Form 15400

pjy

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
LE
I submitted my 2023 taxes and now my accountant is saying they are not being accepted because my dealer did not submit form 15400 to the irs. I’m calling the dealer tomorrow but my CPA and the dealer seem to be clueless. Has anyone else had this issue and have a suggestion/resolution? I know there are threads but they are older.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I submitted my 2023 taxes and now my accountant is saying they are not being accepted because my dealer did not submit form 15400 to the irs. I’m calling the dealer tomorrow but my CPA and the dealer seem to be clueless. Has anyone else had this issue and have a suggestion/resolution? I know there are threads but they are older.
Another forum member mentioned a rejected return due to real time match failure of sales data from 2023, get with the dealer to confirm that they transmitted your sales data through the portal.

Reactions: pjy

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Another forum member mentioned a rejected return due to real time match failure of sales data from 2023, get with the dealer to confirm that they transmitted your sales data through the portal.
Can you expand on this? Transmitted to Ford? to IRS? Do I need to get a copy 15400 from dealer and submit with my return? My dealer was clueless during purchase process and the more hand holding I can do here, the better results I will get.

At the time of purchase I had dealer sign this. I am guessing that does not fly now?

Attachments

Last edited:

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Can you expand on this? Transmitted to Ford? to IRS? Do I need to get a copy 15400 from dealer and submit with my return? My dealer was clueless during purchase process and the more hand holding I can do here, the better results I will get.

At the time of purchase I had dealer sign this. I am guessing that does not fly now?

That form is Ford's document confirming that your purchase qualifies. It is as good as a 15400 assuming everything was completed on the form. That is what my dealer gave me when I bought my Lightning. Tesla sent me a 15400. Both VINs were accepted and I got a refund about 3 weeks after filing electronically with TaxAct.com

If the dealer did not enter the sale in the portal then they screwed up. Give the dealer a call and insist they follow the IRS process.

If your accountant gets your return rejected I would have him file a paper return and include the Ford Form.

I am not an expert but that is what i would do.

Sponsored
OP
OP

pjy

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
LE
My accountant submitted 8936 with my ssn and it had been getting rejected. I am going to have them file it with my wife’s ssn and see if that works as the car is titled under her name. I have to wait for my CPA to get into work to call. Both of our info is on the purchase paperwork but they titled it under her so it would make sense that it should be her SSN on form 8936. Anyone deal with that or have any input?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
My accountant submitted 8936 with my ssn and it had been getting rejected. I am going to have them file it with my wife’s ssn and see if that works as the car is titled under her name. I have to wait for my CPA to get into work to call. Both of our info is on the purchase paperwork but they titled it under her so it would make sense that it should be her SSN on form 8936. Anyone deal with that or have any input?
The form gets filed with your tax return, not standalone. If you and your wife file a joint return, should be fine...

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
If the dealer did not enter the sale in the portal then they screwed up. Give the dealer a call and insist they follow the IRS process.
Thanks for the tip. It sounds like if they enter the sales information in the portal (Ford database not IRS?), they don’t have to do anything with 15400? Or is 15400 form is in the portal?

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Thanks for the tip. It sounds like if they enter the sales information in the portal (Ford database not IRS?), they don’t have to do anything with 15400? Or is 15400 form is in the portal?
Ford (manufacturer) doesn't have anything to do with IRS Form 15400. They built the vehicle and certifies it qualifies for tax credit. Process should work like this:
  1. Dealer submits IRS Form 15400 listing their EV sales to IRS with VIN, buyer's SSN, and vehicle sales qualifying information.
  2. You submit your Individual tax return with Form 8936, which includes VIN, purchase date, and your SSN
  3. IRS matches your information with dealer information
It's a lot like a 1099 or W-2 matching process. You don't need to submit anything but the 8936.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Glad the issue was resolved with perfection of a common data transcription error.

The matching process is REAL TIME, that is why the dealers are required to transmit VIN/SSN data to IRS by a specific deadline so that claims for the credit can be validated instantaneously instead of a 2-3 year audit cycle as it was in the old days.

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Took my return 6 days to get approved, my salesman didn’t know anything about having to submit data to the IRS and I didn’t push it. Maybe I’m lucky and someone behind the scenes at the dealership knew what needed to be done…

Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 Refund Form 15400 IMG_4460

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Took my return 6 days to get approved, my salesman didn’t know anything about having to submit data to the IRS and I didn’t push it. Maybe I’m lucky and someone behind the scenes at the dealership knew what needed to be done…
The distinction of a well oiled dealership operation and one that's lacking, this should be a high priority for all brands selling EV's

OtterJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I posted this in the other thread, but figured I'd post it here as well: used TurboTax (as we have done for years), entered the EV info during the filing process, did not upload the form that we got from our dealer. Got my refund about a week and a half after filing (about normal, couple days longer than in years past). Easy peasy.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I posted this in the other thread, but figured I'd post it here as well: used TurboTax (as we have done for years), entered the EV info during the filing process, did not upload the form that we got from our dealer. Got my refund about a week and a half after filing (about normal, couple days longer than in years past). Easy peasy.
Correct, but the underlying data you input into TT was posted to forms 8936 & 8936-A then posted to the IMF/CADE database, your information was matched against the data that the dealership loaded to IRS after the close of tax year 2023 by the due date.

The paper 15400 is a source document to remain in your supporting documents files until the statute of limitations expire on 4/15/2027 (tax year ending 12/31/2023)
Sponsored