• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

3.6 miles/kWh commute to work

N0v0w3ls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I have a relatively short commute of about 6 miles each way and generally low speed w/ stop and go but I'm currently seeing about 1.6 with the heat on. I think in my particular case the short commute time hurts since the by the time the truck finishes heating the cabin my commute is over.

I have seen 2.7 - 3.0 when I've turned off the climate system and relied on the heated seat. Just vent the sunroof and crack a rear window when the windows start to fog up!
Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
If you are referring to My EV Driving, don’t believe it at face value
Ford F-150 Lightning 3.6 miles/kWh commute to work C1840428-5500-46A2-8095-590216BFFDE8

I drove when we went out to dinner Sunday evening with friends Round trip was around 16 miles as you can see. Look at that energy efficiency.
My odometer showed 17 miles driven and SOC went from 80% to 71%. Granted that the heat was set to 70° and all four seat heaters were on. (Two women in the truck, enough said). This works out to 1.4 miles per kWh.
In 40° ambient, this is what I would expect.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It should be clear to people that the use of the heater is a big draw. Couple that with a short drive, and it kills efficiency.

Where have I experienced that before? Oh, yeah, driving my gas powered vehicle on a short commute, where the engine runs to warm up to provide heat and is very, very inefficient until it comes to temperature.

Same old, same old...

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
so i drive at about 65 mph for 70 miles one way and right now im at 1.4 on a good day lol. heat set at 66 and fan on 1-2, heated seat at 1-2. Just got to love the single digits, plus my app isnt working so no preconditioning (to be fair im on L2 so not sure it would work anyways). The other issue im having is a L2 doesnt get me back to 90% overnight. Next winter wont be so bad once i have my pro charger installed, for now its a 30 minute stop on the way home but i love my truck so ill live.

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
Yes, you're driving within the vehicles maximum efficiency of the bell curve at 45ish mph. Active air dam opens up, less drag due to low speed. You're in the sweet spot.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
so i drive at about 65 mph for 70 miles one way and right now im at 1.4 on a good day lol. heat set at 66 and fan on 1-2, heated seat at 1-2. Just got to love the single digits, plus my app isnt working so no preconditioning (to be fair im on L2 so not sure it would work anyways). The other issue im having is a L2 doesnt get me back to 90% overnight. Next winter wont be so bad once i have my pro charger installed, for now its a 30 minute stop on the way home but i love my truck so ill live.
Preconditioning works fine on level 2 chargers. Try setting the departure time in the truck.

As to getting you back to 90%, if you're using the Ford Mobile Charger that is only going to put out 7.2kW, or about 6.2 to the truck, so do the math - every 10% of the 131kWh battery will take just over 2 hours.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Preconditioning works fine on level 2 chargers. Try setting the departure time in the truck.

As to getting you back to 90%, if you're using the Ford Mobile Charger that is only going to put out 7.2kW, or about 6.2 to the truck, so do the math - every 10% of the 131kWh battery will take just over 2 hours.
im using a 3rd party charger set at 24 amps (dryer 30 amp plug) and it works great just not with my schedule, ill have to check out the scheduling in the truck so thanks for that! I havent ran across it yet.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
im using a 3rd party charger set at 24 amps (dryer 30 amp plug) and it works great just not with my schedule, ill have to check out the scheduling in the truck so thanks for that! I havent ran across it yet.
Yeah, that's like 4.9kW or 2.7 hours for every 10%.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Whoa that's a low number. I do about 70mph for 55 miles each way (110 total) and I'm at about 2.0 to 2.1 each way with temps in the 20's low 30's. Most of mine is highway driving(90 or so) and that is with the heat going on 1 or 2 as well. Those single digits really are a killer and I'll find out first hand on Friday as we are due for extreme cold in NH this weekend.

Eastbaylightning

First Name
Antz Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Does h
gotcha

I’ve barely driven in the other mode but I can try one of these days to see if that makes any difference. Regen is so strong in stop n go I barely use brakes and recover 100% of energy almost all the time. Times when I’m seeing positive efficiency (range going up by a mile)… I’ve no clue what’s driving that. It’s flat land all around here
I have been using 1 pedal driving on city street to take advantage of the stop and go, and I can see the mpk improves immediately. I would say Ford Guess o'meter is too sensitive and so the range keeps adjusting almost too quickly. I'm not sure if other EV has the same GOM sensitivity. It give me range anxiety sometimes.

What do you guys recommend for highway driving? Should I stick with 1 pedal, but I have to step on the gas all the time, or switch to normal driving?
Any data showing 1 pedal will have better mpk in the highway?

Sponsored

Gewalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro (no options)
For ideal efficiency we could use no Regen and no brake use at neighborhood speeds. In the real world, adding speed, regen (it's always less than 100% recuperation) hard acceleration (tire scrub & resistive losses) and of course brake pad use all hurt efficiency. So, on the highway, 1 pedal is fine as long as you avoid unnecessary regen.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Whoa that's a low number. I do about 70mph for 55 miles each way (110 total) and I'm at about 2.0 to 2.1 each way with temps in the 20's low 30's. Most of mine is highway driving(90 or so) and that is with the heat going on 1 or 2 as well. Those single digits really are a killer and I'll find out first hand on Friday as we are due for extreme cold in NH this weekend.
Using My EV Driving or actual numbers?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does h

I have been using 1 pedal driving on city street to take advantage of the stop and go, and I can see the mpk improves immediately. I would say Ford Guess o'meter is too sensitive and so the range keeps adjusting almost too quickly. I'm not sure if other EV has the same GOM sensitivity. It give me range anxiety sometimes.

What do you guys recommend for highway driving? Should I stick with 1 pedal, but I have to step on the gas all the time, or switch to normal driving?
Any data showing 1 pedal will have better mpk in the highway?
For ideal efficiency we could use no Regen and no brake use at neighborhood speeds. In the real world, adding speed, regen (it's always less than 100% recuperation) hard acceleration (tire scrub & resistive losses) and of course brake pad use all hurt efficiency. So, on the highway, 1 pedal is fine as long as you avoid unnecessary regen.
Fun facts:

- no mode is any more efficient than any other mode, including 1PD. What differs are things like throttle response and regeneration. But - since regeneration happens every time you brake due to blended braking, the difference in drive modes are in how you, as the driver, interact with the vehicle, not efficiency.

Actual physical brakes aren't used until the end of a normal stop. Prior to a software fix in 2021, you could feel the transition from regen to physical brake pads.

If you use cruise, 1PD is disabled.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
How does regen hurt efficiency? This is new information to me. Thanks.
Sponsored