• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Absolute proof it’s an Onboard System issue -- modem not FordPass

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Antimatter Blue with bed liner
Occupation
Law
I knew it was the modem or related system, but I’ve been on a trip, and can now prove it. My modem crapped out on March 10, 2023. Typical, nothing special. any of use in the build period from early November to mid/late December experience this all the time. We all know the remedy, battery cable or fuse 32. This time I decided not to do the fix, not really for this test, this just came to be known by accident. My plan was to drop off at dealer after the trip (I’m still on it) and start the clock. What is interesting and proves the point are my images that follow. I received a notification on top right, which shows a message from Ford. Clicking through the links, which I share, you can see that my account received information of a charge (using the Ford App, not EA) and reporting the charge event to and through the FordPass App. Which means the App itself is not broken. It does communicate. The broken part is that truck itself isn’t communicating. But more importantly it is not communicating through the modem only. CarPlay works, Bluetooth works, satellite works. So the loop in the example below is that (1) I connected the truck to an EA station and the truck exchanged proper protocols (not modem) and then (2) EA station connected to FordPass App (Wi-Fi) and FordPass/my credit card but I’m still on free volts. The truck never communicates via the modem at this point, it knows only what is provided through the direct connect to the station such as connected/disconnected and charging. Unfortunately very little detail is displayed in the actual truck. EA station has more detail, such as energy delivery amounts and rate. What is interesting is that although my FordPass App has no idea anything has happened in the last 4 days, including charging from the truck, it is aware directly from Ford that I have been charging. Ultimately, meaning the FordPass App works but only can process or display information from which it receives. In this case, since the truck can’t share the information it has, it cannot be shown in the App. That is where the loop breaks in my case study.
On a side note, all data, or lack of it is shared to Ford, it’s in the truck setting tab, unless deactivated. Meaning Ford most be aware of the issue, or must be aware that about 2000 trucks (approximate amount during build period) are not sending data to Ford. In either case they would know something is odd, and would have discovered everything I just shared a long time ago. Considering they are not disclosing and pretty certain the have instructions to not discuss the issue on 10%-20% of the built vehicles means they cannot find a fix. Otherwise, they would just say that the modems are bad, and that they are working on a software solution before going to a replace scenario. By the way, I’m not saying that is the wrong approach, the strategy is sound and frankly, under the circumstances…reasonable. I just wish they would be honest, because they probably already polled a sample and know we are not all going to rush to return our trucks after all the wait. Oh to be safe, these are my personal opinions based on my personal experience.

Ford F-150 Lightning Absolute proof it’s an Onboard System issue -- modem not FordPass 46C4710A-EA4C-40D3-9D3A-AEE962F1E456

Ford F-150 Lightning Absolute proof it’s an Onboard System issue -- modem not FordPass BA51DC68-93E5-479A-8786-995D139955C5

Ford F-150 Lightning Absolute proof it’s an Onboard System issue -- modem not FordPass 80349580-1EA4-49E5-B8A0-44D31065501E

Ford F-150 Lightning Absolute proof it’s an Onboard System issue -- modem not FordPass 2756E9B3-7EEA-47DD-88CC-9D7F1C9684B8
Sponsored

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
I knew it was the modem or related system, but I’ve been on a trip, and can now prove it. My modem crapped out on March 10, 2023. Typical, nothing special. any of use in the build period from early November to mid/late December experience this all the time. We all know the remedy, battery cable or fuse 32. This time I decided not to do the fix, not really for this test, this just came to be known by accident. My plan was to drop off at dealer after the trip (I’m still on it) and start the clock. What is interesting and proves the point are my images that follow. I received a notification on top right, which shows a message from Ford. Clicking through the links, which I share, you can see that my account received information of a charge (using the Ford App, not EA) and reporting the charge event to and through the FordPass App. Which means the App itself is not broken. It does communicate. The broken part is that truck itself isn’t communicating. But more importantly it is not communicating through the modem only. CarPlay works, Bluetooth works, satellite works. So the loop in the example below is that (1) I connected the truck to an EA station and the truck exchanged proper protocols (not modem) and then (2) EA station connected to FordPass App (Wi-Fi) and FordPass/my credit card but I’m still on free volts. The truck never communicates via the modem at this point, it knows only what is provided through the direct connect to the station such as connected/disconnected and charging. Unfortunately very little detail is displayed in the actual truck. EA station has more detail, such as energy delivery amounts and rate. What is interesting is that although my FordPass App has no idea anything has happened in the last 4 days, including charging from the truck, it is aware directly from Ford that I have been charging. Ultimately, meaning the FordPass App works but only can process or display information from which it receives. In this case, since the truck can’t share the information it has, it cannot be shown in the App. That is where the loop breaks in my case study.
On a side note, all data, or lack of it is shared to Ford, it’s in the truck setting tab, unless deactivated. Meaning Ford most be aware of the issue, or must be aware that about 2000 trucks (approximate amount during build period) are not sending data to Ford. In either case they would know something is odd, and would have discovered everything I just shared a long time ago. Considering they are not disclosing and pretty certain the have instructions to not discuss the issue on 10%-20% of the built vehicles means they cannot find a fix. Otherwise, they would just say that the modems are bad, and that they are working on a software solution before going to a replace scenario. By the way, I’m not saying that is the wrong approach, the strategy is sound and frankly, under the circumstances…reasonable. I just wish they would be honest, because they probably already polled a sample and know we are not all going to rush to return our trucks after all the wait. Oh to be safe, these are my personal opinions based on my personal experience.

46C4710A-EA4C-40D3-9D3A-AEE962F1E456.png

BA51DC68-93E5-479A-8786-995D139955C5.png

80349580-1EA4-49E5-B8A0-44D31065501E.png

2756E9B3-7EEA-47DD-88CC-9D7F1C9684B8.png
Thanks for taking the time to share. Very helpful and makes sense.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
"Otherwise, they would just say that the modems are bad, and that they are working on a software solution before going to a replace scenario."

Nope. They never discuss ANYTHING.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Yes, it is 100% a hardware (firmware) issue (modem/gateway) with the module. Yes, a fix is on the way. No, the current TSB won't fix it.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I had a similar experience. I was returning from a trip on a Sunday and on Monday I checked to be sure it had charged overnight. FordPass still showed my truck at my brother’s house about 80 miles away. I decided to leave it disconnected and I scheduled service with the dealer. On Thursday I got a notice on FordPass that it had finished charging. I looked and it showed me at the EA charger I stopped at Sunday night. I got a few more notifications and then it showed me at the correct home location. That’s the first time that it has recovered on its own. Those messages were stuck somewhere all week, I assume queued up in the truck. I wonder if there is something about certain messages that hang the modem and after some period of time old messages get deleted allowing the communication to resume.

Sponsored

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I had a similar experience. I was returning from a trip on a Sunday and on Monday I checked to be sure it had charged overnight. FordPass still showed my truck at my brother’s house about 80 miles away. I decided to leave it disconnected and I scheduled service with the dealer. On Thursday I got a notice on FordPass that it had finished charging. I looked and it showed me at the EA charger I stopped at Sunday night. I got a few more notifications and then it showed me at the correct home location. That’s the first time that it has recovered on its own. Those messages were stuck somewhere all week, I assume queued up in the truck. I wonder if there is something about certain messages that hang the modem and after some period of time old messages get deleted allowing the communication to resume.
Mine recovered over the weekend on its own as well and then today after dropping kids off it updated to 4.2.1 off schedule so who knows

Arrington.LCA

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I've experienced the same delayed notice about using my EA credit. My actual usage was back in December while I was waiting to receive my charger, and a week ago got notice of the reduction in my EA credit. My balance was already correct, but had never gotten the "receipt" notification.

My modem is like many with a December build, just goes a few days working then stops and do the battery reset. Very annoyed since it messes with my EV driving logs and charge logs information. Really hope this is fixed in the next couple months. Rest of the truck is great, but I use app all the time so it is frequently annoying to see it not working.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
Mine recovered over the weekend on its own as well and then today after dropping kids off it updated to 4.2.1 off schedule so who knows
I know it's only semi-related but the scheduled updates are only for the ones that make the vehicle undrivable. It installs the other ones whenever.

OP
OP
TallyLightning
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Antimatter Blue with bed liner
Occupation
Law
Yeah, my post was to share what may be the likely culprit. I love the truck, just want truth and transparency. I wonder, is there a way to create a poll?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, my post was to share what may be the likely culprit. I love the truck, just want truth and transparency. I wonder, is there a way to create a poll?
As the OP of this thread, you should have an option to add a poll, if not I can add it.
Let me know in a PM if you need help and what you want the poll to ask and what options.

Ford F-150 Lightning Absolute proof it’s an Onboard System issue -- modem not FordPass 1678831495696

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The modem is the culprit, the fix is the 4.2.1 update alot of us are receiving today.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I know it's only semi-related but the scheduled updates are only for the ones that make the vehicle undrivable. It installs the other ones whenever.
thats seriously helpful.
Sponsored