• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Buyer Beware- avoid Lightning- Powertrain Malfunction off lot

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Not uncommon but not the end of the world either. If you love the truck, give the dealer a chance to make it right. 11k miles for me and the only thing I've had fixed was the driver seat lumbar and the front passenger window regulator. I'll also have the TSB for "clicking noise" done next month when I take it in for the 10k service. (yeah I know, I've mastered the art of procrastination)
Sponsored

LMcqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
It is not an uncommon problem (I will refrain from saying common), but it is fixable. Happened to me twice with no apparent effect other than the warning light. It was fixed after the second time. My issue was that the 2nd repair took the dealer 2 months (there were other parts relating to other problems that caused the delay and Ford was slow in providing parts because they prioritized building new trucks over shipping parts for existing ones), but it was that delay that caused my change in heart and I made Ford buy it back under lemon law. I also paid $5k over stick and watched all the price cuts (while in the lemon process) which made me happy about my decision. I loved the truck and the way it drove, and if Ford gets its act together I may buy it again, but I was not ready to be a beta tester.

VA Vikes Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Sorry to hear the issues the OP had. I had issues off the dealer's lot as well with the charging port. As frustrating as that was, the Ford dealer we left our Lightning with replaced the broken charging port and we are about to turn 1K miles without any subsequent issues. I kind of wonder if the dealers still haven't worked out all of the kinks of the final prep with EVs. It seems like there are many issues with new Lightnings that could/should have been diagnosed before they were turned over to the customer.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I'm 2 for 2 here. 2022 Pro, no issues. 2022 Lariat ER, no issues. 25,000 total miles on the Lightnings.

Heck I bought the Lariat ER because of how much more reliable the Lightning was compared to my Tesla's and my R1T and got rid of the R1T.

OP
OP

Sirthierry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat Extended
I'm 2 for 2 here. 2022 Pro, no issues. 2022 Lariat ER, no issues. 25,000 total miles on the Lightnings.

Heck I bought the Lariat ER because of how much more reliable the Lightning was compared to my Tesla's and my R1T and got rid of the R1T.
It’s reassuring to hear! I may not be able to return this, so things may not be as bad as they seem.

Sponsored

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Brand new 30 miles of test drives. When I tell various people about it (service dept, other salespeople at other dealerships) the reaction isn’t what I’d expect. Instead of surprise or shock, it is just pity. You’d think that something rare would be met with shock, and based on the number of threads on this topic I’m inclined to warn off potential buyers.
lol 😂 30 miles.

mine was delivered from ford to dealer with 97.x and to me with 99 miles.

when it breaks, and it happens to you it sucks.

I had poor dealership experience regarding software issues which equaled 56+ days over 5 trips to dealer - they still sent me home with error.

i ultimately fixed the software issue myself and truck has been great at 14k miles. I’m selling my “sports” car. I never drive it and is slower than truck.

i’ll be more frustrated if it happens with advanced mileage-though battery will be covered, lemon laws, buyback won’t apply.

get another one and be happy like the rest of us.
come on support 2nd chances.

gj00101

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Not uncommon but not the end of the world either. If you love the truck, give the dealer a chance to make it right. 11k miles for me and the only thing I've had fixed was the driver seat lumbar and the front passenger window regulator. I'll also have the TSB for "clicking noise" done next month when I take it in for the 10k service. (yeah I know, I've mastered the art of procrastination)
I think I have this issue too. I can only hear the click with the window rolled down and it happens when I release the accelerator. Just one loud click at each accelerator release.
Is that what you hear?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I think I have this issue too. I can only hear the click with the window rolled down and it happens when I release the accelerator. Just one loud click at each accelerator release.
Is that what you hear?
Yes, that's it exactly. There's a TSB to get it fixed. I bookmarked this post so I could reference it to my dealer. No questions asked, they added it to the docket when I scheduled my 10k check up.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...-forward-or-reverse.10636/page-15#post-316976

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
It’s reassuring to hear! I may not be able to return this, so things may not be as bad as they seem.
OMG, are you serious?? The truck flashed a warning light at you and now you want to return it after driving it less than 25 miles?? You do understand that warning lights (or dialog boxes) are protective measures? Once, in my driveway, I got the power train warning. But because I’ve been driving electric vehicles for seven years my first thought was NOT to return it to the dealer. Instead, I turned off the Lightning, let it sit a moment, and restarted it. Unsurprisingly, the warning went away. That was thousands of trouble-free miles ago, including many road trips of more than 500 miles. My suggestion? Take a chill pill and count your blessings that you can afford to drive the best truck in the world. My second suggestion is make sure you have a dealer who can competently support the truck, since this sounds like poor predelivery prep.

Sponsored

Speeddemon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model y
If you look on the power train malfunction thread there are at least 50 people who’ve experienced this issue. I’ve been waiting 4 weeks to get my truck repaired, as have lots of others

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales
I really wished to be among those. I was in love with the truck for the first part of the trip - now I don’t think I can trust it. :(. Glad that others aren’t all in the same boat!
I had the same issue but @Ford Motor Company stood behind the product and went over and above with a complimentary extended warranty. Since the bad module was replaced I have 28,000 miles on my one-year old truck - I love it - good luck!

Last edited:

F-150Evolved

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I bought the new 23 lightning Lariat extended battery last night, and was very happy with it initially. On my way home. I was flying high in this awesome truck! Until I got to the halfway point on my journey home from the dealership (~10 miles) at which time the powertrain malfunction warning came on screen, and my power was reduced to almost nothing while I was on the freeway. I barely pulled over to the side of the road and restarted the car. Thankfully, I was able to drive normally but with the warning light on. Checking the forums when I got home I saw how common this issue was and saw that the 12 V battery may be loose. I checked that; it was not the case. The forums on this topic are exhaustiv , so I am returning the truck today. Totally unacceptable. Buyer beware this is not ready for consumers!

71389467818__79F69D1E-28C2-4146-B49D-F8E035E82EF8.jpeg

IMG_0991.png

IMG_0990.png
This could absolutely never happen to a non-electric vehicle! You’re right, definitely return it!

RaptorEV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 12C
Occupation
Secret Agent
I really wished to be among those. I was in love with the truck for the first part of the trip - now I don’t think I can trust it. :(. Glad that others aren’t all in the same boat!
Just calm down, dude. You have experienced one problem. Get it fixed and see what happens. If there are any more problems, then you can be concerned. Until then, you'd be foolish to take action. The dealership will not take the truck back. If you try to sell it you're going to take a huge hit on depreciation. You can't force a lemon buy-back until there are more/longer problems. I bought a McLaren that had several problems in the first three months, but after those were fixed (all under warranty) it was faultless for 9 years. The Lightning is awesome, don't give up on it so easily.
Sponsored