• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cabin Departure time heated steering wheel glitch

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I wouldn't hold your breath. People on the Mach-E site have been complaining about stuff since it launched. Very little has been addressed.
It gives me hope that since @Ford Motor Company is here on the board, they are at least paying attention.

It would be much more reassuring if they would be more engaged on the subject. I'm sure part of their willingness to lurk but not speak (or only speak in boilerplate) is to not get caught promising something they don't deliver, that sort of thing. But it would go a long way toward building an evangelist community of owners if they'd engage more on these issues.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
It gives me hope that since @Ford Motor Company is here on the board, they are at least paying attention.

It would be much more reassuring if they would be more engaged on the subject. I'm sure part of their willingness to lurk but not speak (or only speak in boilerplate) is to not get caught promising something they don't deliver, that sort of thing. But it would go a long way toward building an evangelist community of owners if they'd engage more on these issues.
That account is over there too. It is used more for customer relations than anything related to technical support.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I made this post in the cold weather thread. Thought I would share it here too since it keeps the steering wheel heat on while "preconditioning" your truck:

Remote start the truck while plugged in. It will heat the cabin and draw power from your EVSE to keep you battery charged. It must also help the battery warm up because my range increased from the time I remote started to the time I left. And my heated wheel worked after I unplugged.

Screenshot_20221120-130408_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20221120-131539_FordPass.jpg

This is the screenshot of when I remote started while plugged in. What's interesting is it never gave me a time limit saying how long it would run, and the "extend" button didn't give the "+15" limit. I never tested how long it would run, but I'm guessing more that the standard 15 minutes.

I tried it twice. Once with my FCSP set at 32 amps and 80 amps. Both kept the battery fully charged to my 90% limit.

Screenshot_20221120-134236_Emporia Energy.jpg
Screenshot_20221120-134219_Emporia Energy.jpg

What was interesting is on the 32A limit, it pulled the full 32A until I unplugged. On the 80A limit, it pulled the full 80A to a point, then bounced at a lower setting. I can only screenshot so much data, but you can get the idea from what's displayed.

Screenshot_20221120-134456_Emporia Energy.jpg
At your 80A FCSP setting, I’m wondering if your truck is initially going into a Charge State, then recognizing it’s at the set SoC, then ramping down to the level required to precondition and maintain your SoC?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
At your 80A FCSP setting, I’m wondering if your truck is initially going into a Charge State, then recognizing it’s at the set SoC, then ramping down to the level required to precondition and maintain your SoC?
I believe that is the case. I cropped them out of my screenshot, but when I first started the truck, it gave me a time on FordPass when the battery would be fully charged to my set point. It was only a minute or two after I initiated the start. When I was getting the lower kWh reading, the FordPass app stated that I was "plugged in not charging".

capt_ramius

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 312A
I noticed the issue as well and went looking for the official feature description in the 2022 Lightning eSourceBook, this is what it says:

Ford F-150 Lightning Cabin Departure time heated steering wheel glitch 582D1328-72A7-4962-B477-D78F800BD182

My guess is that it kicks on when preconditioning starts, reaches the max temp, and then shuts off before we get in… seems like the chill is off the wheel, but it’s not super warm. But like I said, I’ve noticed the issue, as well.

Reactions: MBM

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well this morning my truck decided to not precondition at all, despite being plugged in. At least the heated wheel worked 😝

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well this morning my truck decided to not precondition at all, despite being plugged in. At least the heated wheel worked 😝
Same again this morning - no preconditioning. It also didn't precondition yesterday afternoon at my "leaving work" departure time.

I deleted and reset the schedule this morning. Let's see if that does anything.

Why does the Lightning have these issues - my wife's Mach-e has had zero issues with preconditioning since we got it. They use the same system / software!

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Same here yesterday afternoon - plugged in, departure time set, and just nothing. Monday morning and afternoon, plugged in, preconditioned and no heated wheel.

Not plugged in this morning, and it seemed to preheat the cabin (and seat/wheel) but not precondition - at least according to the Fordpass app, for what that's worth.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Has anybody got the "allow start when vehicle unplugged in" to work? Ever?

I've been just remote starting every morning and turned the preconditioning off. I like having the heated wheel.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The past 3 days I have been leaving the truck unplugged overnight, we hardly travel great distances, so I figured a once or twice a week routine for charging will be sufficient to maintain the battery.

Each morning the preconditioning while not on shore power has worked well, including a very warm steering wheel.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
The past 3 days I have been leaving the truck unplugged overnight, we hardly travel great distances, so I figured a once or twice a week routine for charging will be sufficient to maintain the battery.

Each morning the preconditioning while not on shore power has worked well, including a very warm steering wheel.
It has never worked for me. I got tired of the truck being cold leaving work so I just remote start it on my walk out.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It has never worked for me. I got tired of the truck being cold leaving work so I just remote start it on my walk out.
Other than yesterday, it was worked well for me. I can't remote start since I am not allowed to have my personal cell with me at work (have to leave it locked in the truck), so the departure time is my only option.

kyriotate

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Just to add on here had vehicle at Dealership for some small door rubbing stuff and the lovely gear "clicking" issue. Tech contacted corporate who had them order a new steering column. He told me that column is back ordered and I told them it wasn't likely going to fix the issue anyway so doesn't much matter.

Also he couldn't find anything on the clicking for anyone who cares about that with Ford...

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Lol…ordering new steering column to fix a software bug? Unbelievable.

well, just chiming in to the thread to note i have the same issues with the wheel not heating when setting a departure time and not being able to turn it on manually after beginning to drive. Everything works as expected when doing a manual remote start.

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
My cabin heat didn't come on this morning again. Kinda strange that it worked fine for weeks then off again. I checked settings and it all was the same
Sponsored