• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can start truck with PAAK but can’t drive it

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Right. But I wanted to explain why he thinks PAAK was starting his truck. I think he was confusing it with the standard app functionality or the welcome screens.
He could have simply sat in the truck without a fob and started it. No key of any kind is required to do that.
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I don't wish to start a debate with you on my original reply. I'm simply trying to give more information to the OP that he may be confusing PAAK with the app. It is similar to what @3121 posted right before me (and while I was reading/typing my reply).

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
I have done and looked at everything I can, but I can’t drive truck with PAAK. I can start it but it won’t let me put it in gear. Always need FOB to actually drive it.

what am I doing wrong???
You're not doing anything wrong. PaaK will only temporarily remote start (duration depending on the setting in the vehicle), open/close frunk and tailgate. Unlike a Tesla you can not drive it solely with a phone.

Edit: I stand corrected, that when PaaK is fully set up on your Ford Pass, that you can use only your phone to drive your Lightning.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum 06 Magnum SRT8 23 Ocean One
Occupation
Consultant
Thanks for all the support. Clearly what I thought was PAAK was just a feature on the Ford app. When I get home I’ll set up PAAK in the truck apparently using the Mobile App setting which I did not understand. Standby, until I try that I won’t know what questions to ask about the setup process if I can’t figure it out. I did read the manual but that process was not clear to me.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
You're not doing anything wrong. PaaK will only temporarily remote start (duration depending on the setting in the vehicle), open/close frunk and tailgate. Unlike a Tesla you can not drive it solely with a phone.
Jeff - I think you are having the same initial confusion that Larry had. When properly setup PAAK will let you drive the truck. The phone stays in your pocket the whole time, you don't need to press anything on the phone. The Fordpass App will let you remote start by pressing the onscreen button but will not let you drive until the truck sees a FOB or PAAK-enabled phone in the vehicle.

Sponsored

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
Jeff - I think you are having the same initial confusion that Larry had. When properly setup PAAK will let you drive the truck. The phone stays in your pocket the whole time, you don't need to press anything on the phone. The Fordpass App will let you remote start by pressing the onscreen button but will not let you drive until the truck sees a FOB or PAAK-enabled phone in the vehicle.
Bruce/Larry, I guess I've learned something as well. I have my PaaK setup, just never tried to drive with just the phone. Good to know!

Larry, Setting up Paak is pretty straight forward following instructions in the Pass app.

OP
OP

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
I have not even gotten back to the east coast but i now know why I could not use PAAK. Truck just updated and the new feature ???????

You can now use PAAK!!!

What the hell took so long and how far down the update chain am I?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
With a few exceptions, the majority of updates are not sequentially dependent, maybe a COMM's issue with your truck was recently resolved and at some point a flurry of updates will process.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I have not even gotten back to the east coast but i now know why I could not use PAAK. Truck just updated and the new feature ???????

You can now use PAAK!!!

I think that PAAK update for “early” 22 models rolled out as an OTA last August.

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I turned my Paak off due to issues with my truck sensing my phone at night and clicking on every few minutes. Its draining my 12v battery and sending error messages. ( I'm troubleshooting and I'm pretty sure it's PAAK)

It's not as convenient as it seems. The issues outweigh the convenience.
I had this happen too, there is a setting to turn it off, I just can't recall what it's called right now (was it the 'welcome lighting?'). PAAK is wonderful, I left the house the other day with only my phone. Didn't realize it until I got out at the grocery store. PAAK worked to get me there, I used Apply pay to buy the groceries and made it home. So it is very nice. I'm just glad I didn't get pulled over w/out my drivers license :)

OP
OP

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Well once that last update was done PAAK was no longer a mystery. It asked to be set up. In addition, it also allowed my to add my own passcode on the door pillar something that I was also not able to set up. Just got my powered retract tonneau and amp powered running boards installed today. Results are awesome. Now just need to drive it or put on trickle charger so the latest up date will install. Truck was not driven for last 10 days.
Sponsored