• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cold Weather Range

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I paid for a vehicle with 320 miles of range under "ideal" conditions. If that is not what is being sold then they should advertise a different metric.
Really? You drive like the EPA tests?

On every gas powered vehicle you've purchased, do you achieve the exact MPG they state? If not, why haven't you taken the same stance on those vehicles?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had no idea how much of a difference it made. I just did a short trip with the 8 mph wind at 2.4 mi/KWh and against it at 1.6. Is the truck already looking at local weather and use wind as a part of it’s navigation calculation?

What do you EV veterans do to incorporate wind impact on your trip planning? Always assume the worse or actually look it up before you leave?
Keep in mind that you are driving a brick.

Yes, the range estimation when you put in a trip to the navigation is looking at variables like weather in the estimation. How exact? From every X miles of the trip? Can't answer that.

Always assume the worst. With my Mach-E, I plan my summer trips at 2.7 miles per kilowatt, but get 2. 9 - 3.1. In the winter, I plan my trips at 2.1, but get 2.3 - 2.5.

Planning a trip assuming you won't have the worst is simply, well, stupid. Plan for the worst, have options for charging, and then see what reality is.

When I first owned the car, I was headed towards the Mass Turnpike and figured I was smarter than the computer. I had forgotten that there is a spot on the Mass Turnpike that is the highest elevation east of South Dakota (duh, why do they call them the Berkshire Mountains...?). Yes, the car had estimated right. No, I wasn't smarter.

ZSLC

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Extended
Really? You drive like the EPA tests?

On every gas powered vehicle you've purchased, do you achieve the exact MPG they state? If not, why haven't you taken the same stance on those vehicles?
Actually pretty close. My other car is a Subaru ICE and I am easily within 10% of the stated 28 mpg most of the time.

Not really understanding the negativity here. Its a pretty great truck on most regards, but as a community we should not just let the manufacturer off the hook when they miss the mark.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Actually pretty close. My other car is a Subaru ICE and I am easily within 10% of the stated 28 mpg most of the time.

Not really understanding the negativity here. Its a pretty great truck on most regards, but as a community we should not just let the manufacturer off the hook when they miss the mark.
First, if you accepted 10%, then 320 would be cut to 288...

Second, while you may AVERAGE 28mpg, in the winter every vehicle gets lower MPG due to winter gas and cold temperatures. Many are clueless about it. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/col...eather effects can vary,to 45% on short trips.

Third, the manufacturer is REQUIRED to use the EPA calculation. REQUIRED. They cannot say "oh let's display the winter efficiency going uphill into a 40mph wind". If they decided to do that (assuming they could) in addition to the EPA number, and no competition did it, they'd sell no vehicles.

Lastly, anyone that buys an EV and didn't understand the impact of cold on batteries, well.. You live in SLC. I've been to SLC and skied Utah. When I put my cell phone in my outer pocket, and ski, and then go to use it, it dies quickly. When I put it in my inner pocket, it doesn't. I knew what cold did to batteries before buying my hybrid, then my PHEV, and now my EV.

It's unfortunate that so many are surprised at the winter range of EVs, across all brands and models. But, now you know.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Keep in mind that you are driving a brick.
After my experience today, I started Googling and this is what I found out:

These guys say Lightning Cd (Coefficient of drag) is 0.56. R1T is claiming 0.3 and Cybertruck is shooting for 0.3. Tesla Model 3 Cd is 0.23.

It seems like Lightening is designed to teach us enjoy the local back roads where we stop to smell the roses (or slow small town charging stations). Doing 80 on highway against 20 mph wind is basically doing 100 with a Cd of 0.56. Range police could shoot you on the spot for that. I just added a running board that was not designed to be the ”drag” racing champ so it may be even worse for me.

Pointing my thumb into the wind may work but I am thinking to develop awareness of the wind situation I may keep one of these in the truck:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Anem...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520395957781&th=1

For most of my drives I have more juice than worse scenario case require but traveling with SR battery may require a better sense of all the variables.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Its a pretty great truck on most regards, but as a community we should not just let the manufacturer off the hook when they miss the mark.
How did the manufacturer miss the mark? Maybe your real problem is the EPA test cycle.

If you clicked on the link in my previous post, you can see the protocols in the tabs for Highway Driving and High Speed Driving. The average speeds for both tests is ~48.3 mph, with maximum speed for highway driving ~60 mph and high speed driving around 80 mph. You need to observe 2.16 mi/kWh to hit the EPA highway range and 2.44 mi/kWh for the combined EPA range.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Glad you got through. First time is always rough, second time you have feel for how things are going and stress is less. Definitely planning needed right now. They claim a doubling of charge network in 3-5 years. Till them planning needed.

Always check the flags to see which way wind is blowing.
Also use seat heater and use cabin heat intermittently. Crack window for defrost.

I drove at 62 mph in 5f kansas to de moines couple of weeks ago, 15 mph head wind. Carefully done got 1.5 or so. GOM indicated 170 miles range but I got closer to 210 or so. Could have stretched it more if I absolutly had to. Deactive blue cruise and manual drive.

Had 2 charges at EA de moines and bethany chargepoint

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Always check the flags to see which way wind is blowing.
I thought I was the only weirdo who did that…lol. If old glory is showing me a stiff headwind I tuck in behind an 18 wheeler as much as possible. If shes opposite then I spend more time out in front with the hammer down.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Cold weather range is the current Achilles Heel of EV's. Sure, range/ efficiency is lower in an ICE in cold temps, but not to the extent of what EVs are dealing with. I'm fully aware of cold impacts on the lithium batteries... Been a Tesla owner for 7 years now, it's not new. All EVs suffer from it. I think Ford could have done a bit more in terms of thermal management and pre-conditioning options, but overall this is just where the technology sits at the moment. As glad as I am to have a full-size truck that's an EV, and I think Ford actually did a great job here, there's still a lot of room for improvement. Tech is advancing at a good pace. I figure by the time I'm ready to upgrade the Lightning, there will be more capable options on the market at more favorable price points. And realistically, for a truck to woo me away from the Lightning it will need to offer 500+ real-world miles, 400+ in sub-zero temps. Have 800~1000V+ electrical system and charging tech, 48V low-volt that Cybertruck and others are now going to... I figure that tech is 5+ years out before it all falls into place for mainstream offerings. Should time out about right for me to replace the Lightning I just bought. Yes, I know Cybertruck will get some of these as it rolls off the line later this year. I have an early reservation and may still buy it if the timing is right. But as much as the engineer in me is geeking out about its construction, features, etc... Even as to why it looks the way it does, which is an engineering wet-dream of sorts, I can't actually find a way to like how it looks. But if it proves the utility and usefulness or capability is there, I'm willing to forego looks if/when I can buy it that it makes sense in respect to what I've already spent on the Lightning.

I guess we'll see how this all plays out in the coming years... In 25 years, we'll all look back on this and laugh in a way. We'll have 2400V+ charging infrastructure becoming more common and charging our EVs will be as fast as filling up with gas. Range will be comparable to gas vehicles, probably better... And I'll be well into my 70's and probably won't care so much.

Sponsored

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
These guys say Lightning Cd (Coefficient of drag) is 0.56. R1T is claiming 0.3 and Cybertruck is shooting for 0.3. Tesla Model 3 Cd is 0.23
I drive my EVs for efficiency to maximize my free charging benefits. I am averaging 1.7 miles per kWh in my SR lightning Pro during winter here in CT. What can’t be forgotten is how big the Lightning is relative to any other BEV. It’s also very high off the ground and aerodynamics are minimal above + below the truck. Driving a BEV this size with poor Cd and thermodynamics requires a change in your driving style as mentioned in previous posts. My other EV (2022 TM3 RWD LFP) is the most efficient BEV sold today. Driven similarly it is averaging 4.25 miles per kWh. Driving the TM3 gives me insight into what the future Lightning models will be with better efficiency and using LFP (SR).

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I drive my EVs for efficiency to maximize my free charging benefits. I am averaging 1.7 miles per kWh in my SR lightning Pro during winter here in CT. What can’t be forgotten is how big the Lightning is relative to any other BEV. It’s also very high off the ground and aerodynamics are minimal above + below the truck. Driving a BEV this size with poor Cd and thermodynamics requires a change in your driving style as mentioned in previous posts. My other EV (2022 TM3 RWD LFP) is the most efficient BEV sold today. Driven similarly it is averaging 4.25 miles per kWh. Driving the TM3 gives me insight into what the future Lightning models will be with better efficiency and using LFP (SR).
All else being equal, using an LFP battery will be less efficient, not more, especially in cold weather.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
It seems LFP batteries will only be nice when there are chargers every 50 miles if you want to use the vehicle for out of town trips.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
All else being equal, using an LFP battery will be less efficient, not more, especially in cold weather.
LFP combined with better thermodynamics (similar to Tesla’s octo valve) + heat pump + DCFC preconditioning will yield better efficiency. LFP will also allow for 100% charging which will be advantageous in the SR. I know LFP is less energy dense and will require a larger heavier battery. The current SK NCA battery is trash when DCFC charging above 80% and forget about charging over 90%, it doesn’t even do it. All I hear is how bad LFP performs in cold weather. This has not been my experience, it has performed better than my previous 800V Ioniq 5 AWD.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
It seems LFP batteries will only be nice when there are chargers every 50 miles if you want to use the vehicle for out of town trips.
Can’t be father from the truth actually. They are perfect for the SR lighting.

SAFE: Low incidence of a thermal runaway event (Fire) even when punctured.

100% charging capability

Cheaper cost to consumer

Lower battery degradation over many charging cycles.

IMHO the future LFP SR Lightning will charge faster in both AC and DC to 100% due to more aggressive charging curves. Manufacturers will feel better about lesser charging degradation associated with LFP. My TM3 LFP preconditioned DCFC 20-100% in 45 mins.
Sponsored

Last edited: