• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DIY: Installing Passive Entry To A 2022 F-150 Lightning XLT

drewfaulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
OP
OP

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yes, I've researched this a bit, it does appear the bronco handles are physically the same. But I don't know if the principle of operation between the capacitive button/antenna module is the same as either of the lightning strategies; it would need to be b/c that module comes with the handle. It appears from wiring diagrams that the Lariat/Platinum handles are 5pin instead of 4pin. I hope @Jesse-Infotainment can chime in here and maybe post a few pictures as he recently added passive to a Bronco. I can't imagine if the handle is the same and they offer bare ABS like our Pro/XLT handles that they wouldn't also offer that on some variant of the Lightning, but shit nothing surprises me from Ford anymore.

Jesse, if you respond to this. Does the Bronco offer PAAK in any trim levels?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yes, I've researched this a bit, it does appear the bronco handles are physically the same. But I don't know if the principle of operation between the capacitive button/antenna module is the same as either of the lightning strategies; it would need to be b/c that module comes with the handle. It appears from wiring diagrams that the Lariat/Platinum handles are 5pin instead of 4pin. I hope @Jesse-Infotainment can chime in here and maybe post a few pictures as he recently added passive to a Bronco. I can't imagine if the handle is the same and they offer bare ABS like our Pro/XLT handles that they wouldn't also offer that on some variant of the Lightning, but shit nothing surprises me from Ford anymore.

Jesse, if you respond to this. Does the Bronco offer PAAK in any trim levels?

The bronco handles are not the same. They are two wire and not four.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Has anyone checked on the part numbers for the passenger side, or are they the same?

OP
OP

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Has anyone checked on the part numbers for the passenger side, or are they the same?
The door handle is the same, but the harness is not as there are differences in the passenger and driver doors.

Sponsored

drewfaulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
The door handle is the same, but the harness is not as there are differences in the passenger and driver doors.
I was under the impression that the door handles were not the same. In my research, I'd come up with two different part numbers for the handles (the driver's door has a keyhole and the passenger doesn't). I believe the handle part numbers are ML3Z-1522404-DCPTM and ML3Z-1522405-DCPTM and the harness part numbers are PL3Z-14631-G and PL3Z-14630-G. PLEASE take these with a grain of salt because I have not confirmed the part numbers are correct yet.

Driver8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Left and right handles are different. Left has a hole for the key. Right does not.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
So I did this install last night and I have some tips for anyone that wants to do it:

Get a right angle pick for the back side of the door connection, it'll make it a ton easier to pop off
Remove the speaker from the door, and unbolt the bottom front window track to make it easier to run/remove the wire harness
when you're popping off the door handle, get a flathead screwdriver and place it into the notch and pry at an angle; you're trying to pop the handle overlay off of the base and it's pretty easy once you've done it once. I did it about 6 times and never came close to breaking any tabs or anything.

Make sure you've paid for Forscan and contact the support team to request Forscan 2.4, as you can't update firmware without that version and they're only giving it out by request at the moment. Also, make sure you have a good, wired adapter. I haven't yet done the firmware update as when I tried to do it it gave a warning that it could take hours and I needed to have the truck plugged in before starting. I'll give it a shot tonight and report back on how it went.

OP
OP

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So I did this install last night and I have some tips for anyone that wants to do it:

Get a right angle pick for the back side of the door connection, it'll make it a ton easier to pop off
Remove the speaker from the door, and unbolt the bottom front window track to make it easier to run/remove the wire harness
when you're popping off the door handle, get a flathead screwdriver and place it into the notch and pry at an angle; you're trying to pop the handle overlay off of the base and it's pretty easy once you've done it once. I did it about 6 times and never came close to breaking any tabs or anything.

Make sure you've paid for Forscan and contact the support team to request Forscan 2.4, as you can't update firmware without that version and they're only giving it out by request at the moment. Also, make sure you have a good, wired adapter. I haven't yet done the firmware update as when I tried to do it it gave a warning that it could take hours and I needed to have the truck plugged in before starting. I'll give it a shot tonight and report back on how it went.
Great advice, did you check that the capacitive buttons were working by using the dashboard feature. I would do this before the firmware upgrade just to give yourself a pat on the back that it is working. Also, the firmware upgrade is scary, but only took about 5 minutes in my truck, and I was never plugged in. I upgraded and downgraded three times before I figured everything out. Once you get it working please email FORScan and ask them to add the firmware to their server so it shows up for people in the future as "available".

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Great advice, did you check that the capacitive buttons were working by using the dashboard feature. I would do this before the firmware upgrade just to give yourself a pat on the back that it is working.
I didn't, I'm unfamiliar with the dashboard feature that you're referring to. I assume that's something within forscan?

Sponsored
OP
OP

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I didn't, I'm unfamiliar with the dashboard feature that you're referring to. I assume that's something within forscan?
Yeah, on the left, it's the icon that looks like an oscilloscope trace.
Ford F-150 Lightning DIY: Installing Passive Entry To A 2022 F-150 Lightning XLT 1686775949044

You have to click the settings icon at the bottom. Go to the BCM and search for these two PIDs. Once you get them moved to the right exit setup and press the play button at the bottom to monitor the parameters live. When you put your hands on the capacitive buttons of the door handle, you should see both signals respond. When you have this working then you are ready to do the firmware update.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
1686775949044.png

You have to click the settings icon at the bottom. Go to the BCM and search for these two PIDs. Once you get them moved to the right exit setup and press the play button at the bottom to monitor the parameters live. When you put your hands on the capacitive buttons of the door handle, you should see both signals respond. When you have this working then you are ready to do the firmware update.
Do I need to do anything aside from hook everything up before doing this test? I haven't made any changes in Forscan or anything, but it doesn't respond to my touch at the moment

OP
OP

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Do I need to do anything aside from hook everything up before doing this test? I haven't made any changes in Forscan or anything, but it doesn't respond to my touch at the moment
Ahhh yes you do need to make the config changes before it will power up and respond to the new handle being there

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Ahhh yes you do need to make the config changes before it will power up and respond to the new handle being there
Ha, yeah, I figured so that's what I just did and everything was working so I'm about to flash the firmware!

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
1686775949044.png

Ok, now I'm confused on the firmware update. Am I supposed to put those values into a file for the system to write? Also, I don't appear to have some of the sections that you had values for, is that an issue or do those values overwrite?
Ford F-150 Lightning DIY: Installing Passive Entry To A 2022 F-150 Lightning XLT 1686794272178
Sponsored