• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Thoughts on the Charge Station Pro...

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I received my Charge Station Pro today. I had read about the challenges a lot of customers were having and I guess I'll have to go through them.

Just looking it over, I was unpleasanty surprised with the CSP and its build.

• For a high-current device expected to handle 20 kW, the physical device is CHEAPLY made. Everything is cheap plastic. At a minimum, I'd expect a metal baseplate to dissipate some of the heat and provide some support for heavy-duty wiring.
  • By default the manufacturer expects you to use in-the-wall wiring from the back, coupled to the unit through a 2-gang switchbox behind the FCSP into a 4-hole cable gland in the unit for entry. For new construction where you can put the conduit and circuit in the wall, this is likely to be ok, but for my install (surface-mount onto an existing plywood wall) this means feeding from the back may not work. Which leads me to...
  • If you DO use surface-mount conduit, there are no marked knockouts for entry into the chassis and you're expected to drill your own and use a Myers hub to attach the conduit to the unit. Definitely a cheap-out there. C'mon, Ford, you could have at least marked safe and proper locations for conduit entry into this thing and/or provided reinforced areas for conduit adapters.
  • There is absolutely nowhere for the heat to go in this unit... it's going to be concentrated in the contactors and connectors.
I'm probably going to use a surface-mount 4" square box and conduit and use a 2x4 to set the FCSP off the wall - maybe this will give it some more airflow behind it too. I was missing some parts so installation will have to wait until I'm back on Saturday or Sunday.

No wonder this thing is having problems delivering 80A, there's absolutely nowhere for the heat to dissipate. The Tesla HPWC is 50x a better-engineered device.

Part deux, below:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...s-on-the-charge-station-pro.11300/post-235089

Some observations on getting the FCSP linked to FordPass:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...s-on-the-charge-station-pro.11300/post-235413
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...s-on-the-charge-station-pro.11300/post-235436
I used the FCSP that I got with my Lightning but had a 60 amp breaker installed and dialed it down to draw 48amps (I can't remember the setting number). I get 20 miles of charge per hour and it's plenty fast to charge up from 15%-90% overnight. Unless you plan to use the home charger and spend the additional money, I would recommend using the FCSP, I've had no problems with it in the 3 months since it was installed and I live in Phx where it's been 115 outside.

My 2 cents....
Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I had my FCSP installed today. However I was unable to connect it to Ford Pass app. Following the installation instructions from the FCSP app my phone was successfully connected to the FCSP but the FCSP app was never able to connect to the charger station.

I called FMC and the CS rep tried to connect me to next level customer support but after 20 minutes on hold she promised that she or tech support would to email me with next troubleshooting steps. That was early afternoon. didn't hear from them today. perhaps tomorrow.

I plugged it in and it charged up the Lightning just fine so it works.... just a software issue uuuugggggg.
I did get a call back from FMC a few days later. we walked though the installation again and discovered an oddity in the Ford Pass software that that was causing the problem. won't bore anyone with the details.... unless your interested. if so, send me a pm.

But bottom line: got it connected and all is well.... Did I mention that I LOVE THIS TRUCK!

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
I had a 100 AMP circuit and the Ford Pro Charger installed by Sunrun. They did a good job according to the County Inspector.

I've used this charger many times and it has worked without an issue.

This 80 AMP charger is nice and fast.

VictorM

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Experiential Knowledge Griot
I had my electrician friend/neighbor install the FCSP and a 50A 240 outlet as a back up or additional EV charging outlet.

VictorM

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Experiential Knowledge Griot
I had my electrician friend/neighbor install the FCSP and a 50A 240 outlet as a back up or additional EV charging. Still no luck connecting the station to FordPass

Sponsored

Kentrider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired engineer
You probably already know this, but in order to add manually, your phone and the FCSP must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Thank you for your suggestions and information. Here's my update:
The Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) Department at Ford responded to my request for help to resolve my FCSP inability to connect to WiFi.
(The fault mode was: The 80A charge sequence could only be activated at my truck's control panel and not through FordPass on my Android. The HIS worked fine, automatically powering my house when grid power was cut. So everything worked except for FCSP WiFi.)
The Ford BEV troubleshooter worked remotely with me to exhaust all possibilities that the FCSP could connect. No joy.
So, Ford sent a replacement FCSP and the original Ford SunRun Installation Team returned to my home and swapped in the new motherboard, taken from the new replacement FCSP. The installer noticed that the replacement motherboard was an upgraded version.
After Ford SunRun's original installation, I installed a "soft start" modification on my 4-ton HVAC system in order to reduce the start-up (surge) current of the air conditioner compressor. With this accomplished, Ford SunRun routed my AC into the HIS during their follow-up visit.
Viola! The system, including FCSP, FordPass and HIS, is fully functional. I have no complaints. "The 2022 Lariat Lightning is brilliant."

maverick129

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Expedition
Got mine installed last week. 60amp circuit and it’s been flawless. Once I got it connected to ford pass (took several tries) it’s worked great.

weitzwb24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm unable to reset my Ford Charge Station Pro (FCSP). When I press and hold the factory reset button in the top left, nothing changes, even after 20-30+ seconds.

I've power cycled the device a few times but I can't get access to the local access point and it no longer connects to my home network.

Has anyone dealt with this?
I am in the exact same situation. I have tried every combo of power cycling and the 3 red buttons I can think of and can’t get it to go into factory reset. Has anyone found a solution for this state?
I'm having the same issue that the factory reset button on the inside. The little red button does nothing... Tried holding it pressed for over a minute of red online that it's 10 to 20 seconds. It does absolutely nothing. There's two other red buttons. One of them does cycle the LEDs MCU_RST_SW but it also does not allow the Wi-Fi to come back on.

I have a case open with Ford but I'm really afraid that they're going to send me a new one after advance troubleshooting... Did anybody get this to work?

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I'm having the same issue that the factory reset button on the inside. The little red button does nothing... Tried holding it pressed for over a minute of red online that it's 10 to 20 seconds. It does absolutely nothing. There's two other red buttons. One of them does cycle the LEDs MCU_RST_SW but it also does not allow the Wi-Fi to come back on.

I have a case open with Ford but I'm really afraid that they're going to send me a new one after advance troubleshooting... Did anybody get this to work?
I never did. Same issue. How did you open a case with Ford?

weitzwb24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I never did. Same issue. How did you open a case with Ford?
I called the number on the instruction manual. They gave me a number but I haven't gotten the replacement authorization yet. We're still doing some troubleshooting. I plan on calling them back tomorrow.

Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I called the number on the instruction manual. They gave me a number but I haven't gotten the replacement authorization yet. We're still doing some troubleshooting. I plan on calling them back tomorrow.
Deep down I think I’ve been avoiding all that back and forth troubleshooting. The value of having this thing internet connected is so low I’m not sure it’s worth the effort.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
I had a non-working wifi unit then Ford sent a new unit back in November of 2023. WIFI connection worked for a week or so then can't connect to FordPass now. I don't think the WIFI connection is worth the effort. Ford says it is needed to send updates to the FCSP. I have 2 Gizzl-e units and they work fine without software updates.

I have a ChargePoint also. I don't recommend CP. Sorry, but just to change the AMP setting, you must call CP Customer Service and they do it using the WIFI connection to the internet. Wow, what a hassle.

weitzwb24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had a non-working wifi unit then Ford sent a new unit back in November of 2023. WIFI connection worked for a week or so then can't connect to FordPass now. I don't think the WIFI connection is worth the effort. Ford says it is needed to send updates to the FCSP. I have 2 Gizzl-e units and they work fine without software updates.

I have a ChargePoint also. I don't recommend CP. Sorry, but just to change the AMP setting, you must call CP Customer Service and they do it using the WIFI connection to the internet. Wow, what a hassle.

It's super annoying though that a new $1,700 item can't connect to the internet and get firmware updates because they made the Wi-Fi not rebroadcast after it's set up the first time.... It's like it bricked itself because I was having trouble with the app doing a reset.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
It's super annoying though that a new $1,700 item can't connect to the internet and get firmware updates because they made the Wi-Fi not rebroadcast after it's set up the first time.... It's like it bricked itself because I was having trouble with the app doing a reset.
The Wifi goes into an invisible mode by not broadcasting its ssid once properly configured and bound to an internet host, once that occurs, the only way to "SEE" it is by setting your mobile phone in WiFi mode logging into the same network host, then using the FCSP configuration utility to find and log onto it.

The issues with getting updates appears to be related to Siemens update severs which the FCSP periodically phones home to and checks for any updates, that part appears to be failing at the moment on my unit, but it does communicate with Fords servers to reports charging condition & statistics.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I agree with @mme_and_lightning .

I don’t have internet connectivity at home in KY. Mostly due to it only being available via satellite or cell service and both those options suck and are expensive.

I have used my FCSP for a year now with WiFi or an update to the software. Not to say that has been without issue, but it works so no big deal.
Sponsored