• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What does this symbol mean - the red one

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Hand a person a fish and they eat for a day. Teach a person to fish and they eat for a lifetime.
OR

Hand a person a fish and they eat for a day. Teach a person to fish and they're out with their buddies in a boat drinking beer.

:)
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Tailgate not closed.

The manual does have a nice section on warning lamps for the instrument cluster. I just searched "warning lamps" on the pdf version and it was easy to find.

Screenshot_20240118_190206.jpg
By far the most useful reply. I'll admit I didn't realize they are still calling these "warning lamps". I assume a similar search for "warnings" might have also found this page. I used to like reading car manuals, but man this one is looooong. So glad we have the ability to digitally search it.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Not that anyone does that though...
I try, but all my PDF reader does is a exact text matching. It doesn't understand synonyms. In this example searching for "Warning" is useless as it's on 241 of 662 pages. I would think "icon" or "symbol" but apparently in this case it's a "lamp" which is only a synonym of icon or symbol in very few contexts, automotive being one. I'm not a "car guy", so I never would have thought to search "lamp". Maybe if we feed the manual to some ChatGPT type of tool it can provide better searching, but aren't we here to help and share with each other? Why all the negativity?

Sponsored
OP
OP

KPH

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Thank you everyone for your help - with exception of one smart remark, you have been very helpful. it turns out that the sensor was bad and is now being replaced. I had searched the manual, and could not find the symbol, but thanks to your help I found it. Thank you again everyone.

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New F-150 XLT Lightning
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Until the manual has a way to search "red icon that looks like the back 2/3s of the truck with a minus sign" It's honestly not that easy of a task to figure out what various icons mean. Especially when you may not have any context into them. The manual is also a 650 page PDF so reading it end to end is a chore. What's obvious to some isn't to others. Be kind and help or just ignore and move on with your day.
I couldn't agree with you more....

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I try, but all my PDF reader does is a exact text matching. It doesn't understand synonyms. In this example searching for "Warning" is useless as it's on 241 of 662 pages. I would think "icon" or "symbol" but apparently in this case it's a "lamp" which is only a synonym of icon or symbol in very few contexts, automotive being one. I'm not a "car guy", so I never would have thought to search "lamp". Maybe if we feed the manual to some ChatGPT type of tool it can provide better searching, but aren't we here to help and share with each other? Why all the negativity?
Couldn't agree more that the manual is hard to search. But how many people even open it? Ford put many, but not all, of the symbols at the front of the manual (pg 23). Why they aren't all there I have no idea, but again - how many people buy a $60 - $90,000 vehicle and never even look in the manual.

The symbols are supposed to be universal, i.e. easy to understand. Some are, some aren't. Some aren't, until someone tells you what they mean, they you wonder why you didn't see that before. Ford should test these (if they don't) in panels before putting them in vehicles.

I didn't say the OP should have looked in the manual, merely responded to someone who pointed out the manual was searchable.

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
I've been able to ask the truck a question and have it pop up the relevant manual section on the display. Couldn't tell you what prompts work that way though, but thought it was cool.

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
The manual needs one section titled “WTF is this Symbol” that includes ALL of the symbols. There is the section below but it doesn’t include this one and I’m sure a bunch of other ones.

Ford F-150 Lightning What does this symbol mean - the red one IMG_0329

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Flash, Model Y Performance
Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. That wasn’t my intent. I just think it’s important for vehicle owners to read and become familiar with their manual and learn to use the search function. It’s generally a whole lot faster and more reliable than posting a question on an internet forum.
Yeah, I know there’s a lot of pages. But going through it, you’ll see there’s a lot of content that can be skipped, either because your particular trim doesn’t have that feature, or you’re simply not interested. And as a bonus, you might even learn about a feature or function you didn’t realize you had!

Lolat

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Volvo PHEV, 2000 Mercedes SL
Occupation
Retired
Looks similar tosymbol on key fob to open tail gate.

moder8tor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lariat Lightning, 18 F250 Lariat Diesel
Occupation
hard worker
tail pipe emissions to HOT.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Car makers are still stuck in the days when all they could do was turn on a light behind a screen printed symbol. Now we have a couple dozen computers and a giant video screen and we still have to look in a book to decode an icon. There should be a button on the center screen that will open a page listing any active icons with detailed, written descriptions and suggested actions.
Sponsored