• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm thinking these "oasis" will be the basis of the next homeless camps....bathrooms, fast food, lounge chairs...hey it sounds perfect!

Mike
What would make them more attractive than current travel/truck stops? Lounge chairs, I guess!
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Yes! Another added benefit is that truck stops are open 24 hours, which has safety and amenity implications.

It's not fun charging an electric car at midnight in a deserted Walmart parking lot.
I'm considering upgrading my wife's 2009 Escape hybrid with either a PHEV or EV.

One of my concerns with an EV solution is her safety while charging. She drive alone occasionally from upstate NY to NC to visit relatives. In an EV she would need to stop a few times to charge which on its face we can live with. However, the location of some EV stations in Wal Mart parking lots gives me pause..esp if she is traveling at night.

One could argue that a gas station at night is also a risk, but you don't normally stay at a gas station more than say 10min and there are choices you can make--skip the sketchy looking ones.

With EV charging choices are limited and you'll be there for a good 20-30min minimum. This is something to consider for mass EV adoption.

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
With EV charging choices are limited and you'll be there for a good 20-30min minimum. This is something to consider for mass EV adoption.
IMHO safety is a big issue. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a high-profile incident at a DCFC to date. You're essentially a sitting duck while plugged in because the drivetrain is disabled. At the very least, it's the basis for a scene in a horror movie.

The other concern is charger vandalism, which is much less likely when located at a 24h business. I have read about incidents of vandalism, but not nearly as many as would be expected.

Charger networks would do well to install video surveillance and panic buttons at each location.

I have not personally had any safety issues while charging, but some locations really weird me out at night.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
You look at their nationwide map and there are HUGE gaps in the center of the US. implementation needs to improve in areas beyond the huge metropolitan centers if the politicians have any chance of meeting their pipe dream of 100% EV usage. Many of us that live in the MidWest will have a challenge of finding places to charge on long trips for several years to come and will have to be creative :(
Agreed. I don't understand the push to prioritize loads of EV DCFC stations in metropolitan areas. While it's true that not everyone charges at home, right now EVs are largely a luxury item and most who have one have a place to charge it at home. I think I've DC charged in a city only twice in the past 2 1/2 years. Once it just happened to coincide with the ~175 mile mark and I had other things to do in the city, and once I was renovating my garage and couldn't park in it. All other times have been on the road.

Heck, on my car's maiden voyage I was driving it back from Chicago and I stopped at a supercharger in Angola, IN. It's a pretty deserted place in the middle of the state, but it was right next to a restaurant where I stopped for a meal, and without that charging stop, I may not have been able to make the trip.

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
I'm considering upgrading my wife's 2009 Escape hybrid with either a PHEV or EV.

One of my concerns with an EV solution is her safety while charging. She drive alone occasionally from upstate NY to NC to visit relatives. In an EV she would need to stop a few times to charge which on its face we can live with. However, the location of some EV stations in Wal Mart parking lots gives me pause..esp if she is traveling at night.

One could argue that a gas station at night is also a risk, but you don't normally stay at a gas station more than say 10min and there are choices you can make--skip the sketchy looking ones.

Very valid concerns. My wife and I typically will drive through the night non-stop when traveling. We're considering a 1,500 mile trip this summer through areas we're unfamiliar with. Instead of risking it we've mapped out hotels (Plugshare has a great hotels filter) with L2 chargers along the route and will just take a couple extra days of PTO instead of risking sketchy stops. Will feel like less time spent charging and will be better rested too. It's extra money and extra PTO burned, but until charging times come down and there are better facilities I think its the way to go. If those aren't great options for you and your wife a PHEV sounds like a better idea.

Btw, I love those old Escapes. Mine has been an amazingly versatile vehicle, but very much ready to trade it in.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I'm thinking these "oasis" will be the basis of the next homeless camps....bathrooms, fast food, lounge chairs...hey it sounds perfect!

Mike
That came across my mind too.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It will be great when chargers are everywhere. I have a place I visit regularly in the southern tier of NY, I've mapped it out and it would be impossible to make the trip in the SR XLT I have on order. There is one Tesla charging station in Salamanca NY, so my M3P will be fine for this recurring trip, but the XLT neither has enough juice to make the trip or an option to fast charge along the way.

Charging at night alone is a scary thing at some of these places. I've been at a few Tesla chargers that are not well lit and are 500 yards behind a shopping mall or business that is closed at night. When you are sitting watching Netflix in the car, you certainly are a target. The gas station like 24 hour business setting of these new chargers essentially takes away the dangers of some Tesla chargers at night.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Get your wife a course in concealed carry, get permitted and equipped (I know NY is a bitch to get one) but this could be a valid excuse for "Why are you applying for a license to carry?" which is asked of my local jurisdiction asks, in addition to stating the basic fact "For all lawful purposes" add to that .... "Personal security while charging my BEV"

Seriously.......

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Btw, I love those old Escapes. Mine has been an amazingly versatile vehicle, but very much ready to trade it in.
We have had a 2001 Escape(1st gen), 2005 Escape Hybrid(1st hybrid SUV) and now an aging 2009 Escape hybrid. All have been amazing lasting 150k+.

I wish Ford had a competitive Escape PHEV. The reviews of the new Escape PHEV have been so-so and its only FWD. We really need AWD for upstate NY.

My short list for replacement vehicles:

VW id4
Fisker Ocean
Chevy Blazer/Equinox EVs
Possibly Audi Etron if range is increased with the redesign

Hyundai Tucson/Kia Sportage PHEV

Possibly a volvo xc60 phev

Although I prefer to spend ~$50k I don't mind spending up to say $65k if I'm getting a more premium product--Volvo/Audi

(Admin-- ok I will steer back on subject)

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very valid concerns. My wife and I typically will drive through the night non-stop when traveling. We're considering a 1,500 mile trip this summer through areas we're unfamiliar with. Instead of risking it we've mapped out hotels (Plugshare has a great hotels filter) with L2 chargers along the route and will just take a couple extra days of PTO instead of risking sketchy stops. Will feel like less time spent charging and will be better rested too. It's extra money and extra PTO burned, but until charging times come down and there are better facilities I think its the way to go. If those aren't great options for you and your wife a PHEV sounds like a better idea.

This is why I really think thought should be put into putting chargers at rest areas(many have security and are limited access), a service plaza located on interstate routes and also 24hr truck stops where there will be activity--possibly cameras. Site selection needs to be a bit better than dark deserted parking lots.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
IMHO safety is a big issue. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a high-profile incident at a DCFC to date. You're essentially a sitting duck while plugged in because the drivetrain is disabled. At the very least, it's the basis for a scene in a horror movie.

The other concern is charger vandalism, which is much less likely when located at a 24h business. I have read about incidents of vandalism, but not nearly as many as would be expected.

Charger networks would do well to install video surveillance and panic buttons at each location.

I have not personally had any safety issues while charging, but some locations really weird me out at night.

The good news is that most Walmarts sell panic buttons. Smith & Wesson makes a good one. ?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Hyundai Tucson/Kia Sportage PHEV

add the all-new KIA SORENTO PHEV(PLUG IN) SX PRESTIGE to the list - our new one is FANTASTIC, and I'm an owner of two Nissan Leafs and the new F150 LIGHTNING coming in a few months.... you can run on ALL ELECTRIC for all your local daily commutes to work, and grocery, etc, but use the very efficient 1.6L turbo/Battery pack for those long trips, like to Orlando and back this weekend, getting around 40mpg...
the system management always keeps 12-15% or so battery power held back in order to continue to assist the engine, even when it no longer allows for 'all electric' driving... even going into 'all electric' EV mode, when needed, even though it may show '0' miles available - it's designed that way.
I 'never' hear the engine turn on, and don't feel it either - that is one special fact about this great hybrid - sometimes I even have to wonder if the engine is actually running, even when I KNOW it must be.
I'll admit that coming from the all-electric LEAF, I had my doubts, but when it's in all-electric EV mode, it's just the same - fantastically QUIET, yet it still has the torque and power to get you going quickly, and not disturb the neighbors when leaving, or arriving home.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Announcement from Electrify America today:

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/175

It looks like the charger have a longer cable with a design that will make it much easier to plug in than the current chargers. The press release also features several renders with F150L. They also acknowledge the need for pull-through chargers. Hopefully they can deliver the design and layouts they're promising.

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/...ctrifyAmericasLookbookTheFutureofCharging.pdf

1648133679033.png

1648133705539.png

1648133724956.png

1648133772847.png

1648133671559.png
I hope the start making their existing chargers more dependable.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I wonder if we'll see any gas station retrofits when a tank is due for replacement. I don't think it's cost effective to cut bait on a perfectly good tank, but replacing one is expensive, and if the gas volume is not there, an EV station retrofit would make good use of the overhead infrastructure.

Many Superchargers on the east coast are located at Sheetz gas stations. This is great as EV charging drives more people inside where people spend more money. Gas stations typically derive most of their revenue from people who come in for snacks or cigarettes, and you have a more captive audience when you're catering to an EV driver who will be there for 20+ minutes.
I'd like to see all the stop & go and other convenient stores like Casey's get chargers installed. If I was to go on vacation I'd prefer driving the back roads to the interstate, and the way things are now, small towns have few to none chargers. Most small towns have some kind of convenient gas station which would be great to also have a fast charger.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I vote for under. Wireless pads please.

Then..put them everywhere there's a stoplight. There's already electrical there and at some point, there will be an EV that stops there.

I don't need 30 minutes at a charger ever if I can grab a bunch of 2-3 minute charges every time I stop.
Except there aren't any stoplights where you need to charge the most - freeways.
Sponsored