• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Failed (OTA) Update bricked my 2023 F150L

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
It would have been nice if the error message included that information, but it did not. A general principle in software engineering is that if an update fails, the software simply reverts to the previously working version. I think this is poor software design.
Agreed - and I remember in the early promo videos they had engineers talking about the a/b systems setup so they could avoid this scenario by failing back to a known working instance, so a bit concerning.
Sponsored

OracleX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
IT Solution Delivery Manager
This is why I have my auto updates turned off. Software updates always have an element of risk, but when it is your vehicle that you rely on day in and day out, it really needs to be near flawless. Phone update goes bad, inconvenient, but not the same impact.

The thing around these updates that adds to the problem is that Ford pushes out these updates and the local dealerships don't seem to have good awareness or are prepared for them. At least the dealership that I am at. They seem to be in reactive mode to updates and then at the mercy of the Ford helpline when things go wrong. The dealerships should at least have the ability to rollback an update that is causing problems.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Thanks for sharing, but at least in this case, it was kinda anticlimactic. I was hoping the OTA dashboard gave more insight. It took the dealer 2 minutes to fix it. Literally two minutes. This is why everyone should own a Mongoose, IMO.
It's been a while but I remember trying to get the 12V over 80%. It had already failed several times so on the 19th I tried to charge the 12V and probably reset the BMS but it failed a couple more times. Sometime between the 2:47 and 4:47 timestamps I took it for a long drive and finally got it over 80 so I set the auto update time to 4:58 (it's still set there) and locked it and left it in the garage. Shortly after I got the fail message in FordPass so I just gave up and didn't touch it until I tried to leave for an appointment around 11 on the 20th. That's when I saw the fail screen. I'm not sure what happened at 3:55 and 6 am, I assume that was a timeout of some sort.

Actually, Ford probably would have saved money just giving me a Mongoose. I'm guessing the tow and the tech time probably cost them more. They kept it for 11 days before they looked at it. Luckily I flew out for vacation the day after they towed it in and got back to town on day 10.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
It would have been nice if the error message included that information, but it did not. A general principle in software engineering is that if an update fails, the software simply reverts to the previously working version. I think this is poor software design.
Exactly.
I worked in a systems software group at Bell Labs in the 1980's. We never released a software update to the regional Bells without thoroughly testing it.
If I had a dollar for every time I had to cope with a bad Windows update, I'd be a rich man.
Reliable updates are especially critical with things like automobiles, airplanes, metro-rails, etc. As we all know bad software can have fatal results (e.g., two deadly Boeing 737 Max 8 crashes).
Is that just the 'cost of doing business?'
I have two customer satisfaction program updates that I haven't had installed yet in my 2023 Lightning. Apparently they are preventing me from getting any OTA updates. Maybe that's not such a bad thing?
If it ain't broke, don't update it.

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
two customer satisfaction program updates that I haven't had installed yet in my 2023 Lightning. Apparently they are preventing me from getting any OTA updates.
LV battery charge staying above 80%? Did you get the new BMS sensor (CSP-23B70) for the LV battery that seems to help with getting OTA updates?

Last edited:

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LV battery charge staying above 80%? Did you get the new BMS sensor (CSP-23B70) for the LV battery that seems to help with getting OTA updates?
I cannot get my local dealership to respond or answer the service phone line - I left a bunch of messages with no response. Since I had a trip planned for March, and the truck is operating so far, I didn't worry about it too much. When I get back I'll have to drive over there in person and talk to a service rep, or leave it at the night drop and see what happens.

I haven't checked the LV battery charge levels. One time when I started the Lightning I think there was a message about the LV battery, but it was gone before it sunk in to my brain.

I think the BMS sensor is part of what they are suppose to do - both action items involved the LV battery.

When I first got the truck home from the sale, I was able to set up FordPass with a tablet and my truck.

My issue was not being able later to set up the connected services. I surmise I need to have the LV battery services done to get it to work.

I have wifi signal between my house and my tablet when I am in the vehicle. So it must be the truck's modem, which I surmise is dependent on the LV battery being up to snuff.

Anyway, when I get back home, I will have the Ford dealership straighten it out.

OP
OP
deltacap

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
Exactly.
I worked in a systems software group at Bell Labs in the 1980's. We never released a software update to the regional Bells without thoroughly testing it.
If I had a dollar for every time I had to cope with a bad Windows update, I'd be a rich man.
Reliable updates are especially critical with things like automobiles, airplanes, metro-rails, etc. As we all know bad software can have fatal results (e.g., two deadly Boeing 737 Max 8 crashes).
Is that just the 'cost of doing business?'
I have two customer satisfaction program updates that I haven't had installed yet in my 2023 Lightning. Apparently they are preventing me from getting any OTA updates. Maybe that's not such a bad thing?
If it ain't broke, don't update it.
It's nice to hear this is standard practice most everywhere. I realize a truck in not a telephone switching system. Fortunately this outage occurred at my home, and not as I was returning from a hike at some remote out-of-cell-range trailhead here in Colorado, where a bricked truck could have put me in danger.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's nice to hear this is standard practice most everywhere. I realize a truck in not a telephone switching system. Fortunately this outage occurred at my home, and not as I was returning from a hike at some remote out-of-cell-range trailhead here in Colorado, where a bricked truck could have put me in danger.
One of the first computer jokes I heard from another engineer was - to err is human, to really screw up you need a computer.

Yes, you were lucky it happened at home.

Some cell service at my home is spotty - ATT pretty weak, Verizion fine.
And what ever cell service the Virginia Mileage Choice system uses is iffy.
We are down in a valley (Hybla Valley) where only one or two TV signals ever roam.
Before cable, it was all video rentals for the kids. now it's FiOS which is fine.
My truck detects all the neighborhood FiOS wifi signals.

Driving around in a computer with wheels does give me pause if I stop and think about it, but that's where we are these days.

Hoping Ford will get better at getting things right...some day.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Login to Ford.com, then account, to see charge level of LV battery (why they do not identify that is weird @Ford Motor Company):
1710798307638-p8.png
Thanks, but I don't get any of that tire, battery, etc. vehicle info on my account page (from a PC or tablet), which I think is because I can't get "connected services" to work which I think is because of the battery issue...a real catch 22.

When I go to connected services I get this:

Connected Services

Access not authorized. If you believe you have received this notice in error, please contact us.

Sorry – it looks like you’re not authorized to access Connected Services for this vehicle. To take advantage of these features and products, you’ll need to either log in with an authorized account or request access from an authorized account using FordPass.

I assume this is because of the battery issue, customer satisfaction program
"Battery monitor sensor replacement, Campaign#23B70" so until I get that done, I am not going to fight with the Ford computer system.

I don't need remote start and all that functionality right now, and if I want the tire and other info, I can go into the truck and see it on the main screen.

If the battery fix doesn't solve the connected services problem, well...whatever as my grand-kids like to say.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, but I don't get any of that tire, battery, etc. vehicle info on my account page (from a PC or tablet), which I think is because I can't get "connected services" to work which I think is because of the battery issue...a real catch 22.

When I go to connected services I get this:

Connected Services

Access not authorized. If you believe you have received this notice in error, please contact us.

Sorry – it looks like you’re not authorized to access Connected Services for this vehicle. To take advantage of these features and products, you’ll need to either log in with an authorized account or request access from an authorized account using FordPass.

I assume this is because of the battery issue, customer satisfaction program
"Battery monitor sensor replacement, Campaign#23B70" so until I get that done, I am not going to fight with the Ford computer system.

I don't need remote start and all that functionality right now, and if I want the tire and other info, I can go into the truck and see it on the main screen.

If the battery fix doesn't solve the connected services problem, well...whatever as my grand-kids like to say.
Try adjusting off/on the connectivity controls in the trucks Sync screen, there might be a glitch that's blocking the necessary data match to your Fordpass profile.

Also log off Fordpass, then log in again, then try the desktop web browser log in and see if you can now view account and vehicle data.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Try adjusting off/on the connectivity controls in the trucks Sync screen, there might be a glitch that's blocking the necessary data match to your Fordpass profile.

Also log off Fordpass, then log in again, then try the desktop web browser log in and see if you can now view account and vehicle data.
Thanks for the idea.
I now think my problem is that I initially set up the truck using FordPass app on a smartphone. Later I decided that screen was just too small for my purposes, so I installed the app on a tablet. But I didn't uninstall the app from the smartphone.

I thought maybe it had to do with the LV battery update being required.

Only recently (just now) did I re-read the instructions and saw the part about using a new device. It says you have to uninstall the app from the first device to use a new device - I missed that the first time I looked at the page:
-----

How do I get my FordPass®* account on my new phone?
You can add the FordPass App to your new device without having to create another account. Use the steps below.
  1. Ensure your new phone meets the device compatibility specifications.
  2. Download FordPass from the App Store®** (iOS®†) or Google Play™†† (Android™‡).
  3. Open the FordPass App.
  4. Log in on your new phone using your username and password from your old phone.
  5. Log out and uninstall FordPass on your old phone once FordPass is set up on your new phone.
Notes:
  • If you are having trouble logging in, you can perform a password reset.
  • Ford does not have the ability to see if someone has uninstalled FordPass.
If you need additional assistance, select to contact a Guide.
-------
So I have the app on two devices. And I can't set up BlueOval because when I select "Connected Services" using the tablet because I get that error message about being an unauthorized account. It must want me to be using the smartphone.

I am going to have to uninstall the app from the smartphone when I get back home and see if that solves the issue.

Or see if I can add the other devices as authorized users.

I didn't realize I couldn't use more than one device at a time with the FordPass app account.

I wonder if I'll just have to start over with the tablet?

One way or the other I will solve it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Or see if I can add the other devices as authorized users.

I didn't realize I couldn't use more than one device at a time with the FordPass app account.

I wonder if I'll just have to start over with the tablet?

One way or the other I will solve it.
I think the second profile for the Tablet should work, maybe also configure that with your second key, or is that allocated to a spouse / teen driver?
Sponsored