• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Failed (OTA) Update bricked my 2023 F150L

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
When I tried to start my F150L yesterday afternoon I received the message below on the display. I will say that the Ford Customer Relationship Center was very responsive and the vehicle was under tow within a few hours. The dealership called the next morning (they were closed when the tow dropped the vehicle off) and has promised a quick resolution. I'm glad this happened at home and I wasn't stranded somewhere.
Ford F-150 Lightning Failed (OTA) Update bricked my 2023 F150L 20240304_160344
Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I had that happen last summer. They just need to reload the software with FDRS so it should only take a few hours. If you haven’t had the BMS (CSP-23B70) replacement make sure they do that for you too. The old BMS is one of the main reasons for this failure.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Do you have any indication oh which update it was trying to install?

OP
OP
deltacap

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
Do you have any indication oh which update it was trying to install?
It would have been nice if the error message included that information, but it did not. A general principle in software engineering is that if an update fails, the software simply reverts to the previously working version. I think this is poor software design.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
At least it sounds like an easy enough fix (assuming the FDRS update does the trick). Almost the equivalent of discovering a flat tire and no spare. Fingers crossed you can get it back soon!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It would have been nice if the error message included that information, but it did not. A general principle in software engineering is that if an update fails, the software simply reverts to the previously working version. I think this is poor software design.
Does FORDPASS mention the queued update description?

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The same for aviation. When I push software updates to an aircraft, and it fails for whatever reason, you can revert back to whatever was stored in the repository and let the plane continue on its next flight.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I can check with your VIN. Curious to see which one it is. Are you in EAP by chance? For everyone's sake, I hope it isn't 7.0.0.

• Wow
Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Sorry for the update fail. Do you know what was your 12V SOC last night?

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The same for aviation. When I push software updates to an aircraft, and it fails for whatever reason, you can revert back to whatever was stored in the repository and let the plane continue on its next flight.
Unfortunately road vehicles aren't designed with the redundancy of aircraft components. On the other hand, the software in modern road vehicles run on much newer systems than that of aircraft. Aircraft are also a heck of a lot more expensive to fix when a module does fail.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
What if this happens in the year 4 or year 9 of ownership? Is Ford responsible or the owner to pay the dealer?

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
What if this happens in the year 4 or year 9 of ownership? Is Ford responsible or the owner to pay the dealer?
Just guessing here, but a 4-9 year old truck will probably never get an OTA from Ford, this is not an iPhone.
I'll be very interesting to see if the changes that was shown on the Flash (charge rate for example) will even make it to the 22 and 23s.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unfortunately road vehicles aren't designed with the redundancy of aircraft components. On the other hand, the software in modern road vehicles run on much newer systems than that of aircraft. Aircraft are also a heck of a lot more expensive to fix when a module does fail.
AFAIK, all the trucks run on CANBUS which is the lowest form of communication on the aircraft I work on. The systems I touch are decades more modern than CANBUS tech.
Sponsored