• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First long trip in the Lightning

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Can't you override even DCFC by just going into the app (or from inside the truck) and hitting the 100% button? Maybe it's not that simple, but should be.
Sponsored

mklcolvin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Honda Insight, 2022 Lightning Lariat LR
Occupation
Retired; Former Systems Engineer
Can't you override even DCFC by just going into the app (or from inside the truck) and hitting the 100% button? Maybe it's not that simple, but should be.
Unless it’s set on a per-charge basis, I’d already set it to charge to 100% on the initial charge before setting out on the trip. It wasn’t matching the truck even - I normally only charge to 80% at home, not 90%. So that figure came from the DCFC itself.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Unless it’s set on a per-charge basis, I’d already set it to charge to 100% on the initial charge before setting out on the trip. It wasn’t matching the truck even - I normally only charge to 80% at home, not 90%. So that figure came from the DCFC itself.
Your initial setting doesn’t apply to DCFC. The Lightning defaults to a 90% limit when at a DCFC unless you intervene. The charge station will not stop charging unless it’s told to, or detects a problem.

mklcolvin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Your initial setting doesn’t apply to DCFC. The Lightning defaults to a 90% limit when at a DCFC unless you intervene. The charge station will not stop charging unless it’s told to, or detects a problem.
Didn't know this - thanks! That'll help a lot for my next road trip. Is there a different place to see/adjust the DCFC preferences, or does that not show up until you're actually charging?

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Didn't know this - thanks! That'll help a lot for my next road trip. Is there a different place to see/adjust the DCFC preferences, or does that not show up until you're actually charging?
The only setting you can make to control DCFC is the one-time charge limit.
See the manual:
Ford F-150 Lightning First long trip in the Lightning IMG_0528

mklcolvin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It was way easier to do on a Tesla, IIRC...
Ford F-150 Lightning First long trip in the Lightning Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 3.03.33 PM

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The only setting you can make to control DCFC is the one-time charge limit.
See the manual:
IMG_0528.jpeg
And unfortunately many times this setting doesn't work and it still stops at 90%

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And unfortunately many times this setting doesn't work and it still stops at 90%
I’ve heard people say that for DC, you have to set the one-time limit before you initiate the session or it won’t work (AC can be set after charging starts). Even though that’s clearly not what’s indicated in the manual.
Have you tried setting it both before and after starting the DC session? Just curious. Thanks.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I'm about 90% sure that last time I charged at a DCFC I plugged in and it targeted 80% - all I had to do was open the app or the GUI in the truck and make a change. I'll be putting about 450 miles on it tomorrow and will charge twice - so I'll do my best to document. I know its slower, but I need about 90% at the charger for my driving.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I can't remember what happened when we road tripped our Lightning last year, but we just got back from a long trip with our Mach-E. It would have went to 100% with no input from me if we hadn't stopped it. By the time we got done eating we were around 93%. I can't imagine they would be different.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm about 90% sure that last time I charged at a DCFC I plugged in and it targeted 80% - all I had to do was open the app or the GUI in the truck and make a change. I'll be putting about 450 miles on it tomorrow and will charge twice - so I'll do my best to document. I know its slower, but I need about 90% at the charger for my driving.
Presume you use the one-time charge limit to accomplish this?

I can't remember what happened when we road tripped our Lightning last year, but we just got back from a long trip with our Mach-E. It would have went to 100% with no input from me if we hadn't stopped it. By the time we got done eating we were around 93%. I can't imagine they would be different.
There are many differences between the logic of the Lightning and Mach-E. Two of which are the ability to set a one-time charge limit, and the default DC limit. I thought the DC limit was documented in the manual, but it’s not.

12V battery charge logic is also different.

When I first got the Lightning, I was under the same assumption about things being consistent, but have been proven wrong more than once.

Edit….the instructions for usin a one-time charge limit states that there is a “system default” but doesn’t tell us what it it:
Ford F-150 Lightning First long trip in the Lightning IMG_0528

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Unlike level 1 and level 2 charging (i.e. at home), you cannot save a DC fast charging location and set limits.

When you DC fast charge, you can monitor the state of charge in the FordPass app. If you use the EA app to initiate the charge (or ChargePoint, or ____), you can also monitor in their app.

Note that DC fast charging may stop at 90%, but you are still on the hook for possible penalty costs if you don't move your vehicle quickly. The idea with DC fast charging is that you charge, and move your vehicle.

Also note that the fast charging curve dramatically slows at 80%. The idea on a trip is to go from 80% down to say 20%, then back up to 80% (highly dependent on spacing of charging stops). It slows at 80% for two reasons. First, to not tax the battery too much. Second, to get you to move your vehicle for others.

Some people use their local DC fast chargers to charge, to 100%, on a regular basis. Many of them have 2 or 3 years of free charging, or they get 30 minutes at a time free (and simply unplug, then plug back in). You will find that some people plug in, and go shopping, leaving their vehicle sit (the free charging years don't have penalties in them).

Remember that most DC fast charging is designed for travelers, who want to charge and get on their way. Charge to 80% (unless you have to have more to get to the next charger), unplug, and move your vehicle.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I didn't poke around long in the app, but didn't see a quick way to override, but in the GUI you can definitely override the standard 90% DCFC - touch it, select your max, and save. You can override for that session of DCFC charging.

Set at 90%

Ford F-150 Lightning First long trip in the Lightning IMG_4170
Ford F-150 Lightning First long trip in the Lightning IMG_4171

Set at 100%
Ford F-150 Lightning First long trip in the Lightning IMG_4172
Sponsored