• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Pass app no longer communicating with my truck

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
Have you tried going out and starting your truck? I did that and everything reset my Fordpass after being down for more than a day.
I did. I actually drove it a few times that day but it was just stuck in the first location I went to at 9 am. Drive it a few more times yesterday so this morning did the hard reset and worked.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I did both and it didn’t work. How do you do a force stop?

press/hold the app Icon, the a context menu will pop up, click the i
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Pass app no longer communicating with my truck 1673816419234

Click Force Stop (Android) and OK.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Pass app no longer communicating with my truck 1673816481546
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Pass app no longer communicating with my truck 1673816561926

macdian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Platinum
So I have this same issue - I contacted FordPass via the app chat. They told me this is a "known issue" and Ford is actively working on an OTA fix, but that I could also go into the dealer to have my modem refreshed.

Anyone else contact them? This is so ridiculous, especially given that you can't remote start a lightning from the remote, just the app. Which does work if you're bluetooth connected, I guess - but then I'm within enough range I could just get into the dang thing.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
There are multiple problems people are talking about here, but if the problem you're having is that the truck modem isn't working, then try:

- turn OFF the truck, but leave the driver door open for 30 seconds before closing it.

I know it sounds crazy, but somehow this seems to reset the modem which doesn't seem to be a modem problem but is related to the truck getting confused about the lock status.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I ran into what I think is the same issue between Thursday night 1/12 and Friday morning.

I went out of town for a road trip on Friday. I had set a departure time, and forced a 100% charge.

When I got up in the morning, the departure time had not been applied in the truck, so no precondition. Not ideal for a road trip day in the cold. At least it was charged to 100.

On the trip, I started to realize that I had lost comms, and here's how that manifest:

Unable to perform any functions in Fordpass

Unable to use Hands-free blue cruise. But I COULD use hands-on adaptive with lane keep. Better than nothing, but not having hands-free for a road trip was less than ideal. Apparently a lack of comms breaks HF BC.

I had activated my Blue Oval charging network before the trip, but apparently this was not communicated to the truck. So I was not able to benefit from it for the trip. Literally the first time I have needed to use DCFC since taking delivery in November.

I was unable to use the Tivo-like functions of the SiriusXM. No "start over" option on news channels, that sort of thing. This is what ultimately helped me put all the pieces together and identify that this wasn't a problem with the fordpass app, it was the comms on the truck.

At one point, as a test, I turned on my phone's Hotspot, and connected the truck to it, just to see if it would make a difference. The truck did connect to the Hotspot, but it didn't resolve any of the issues. So it doesn't seem to just be the cellular aspect of the modem. Seems more of routing problem that the system stops transacting data, even if there is a positive connection present.

After getting back from the trip, I waited until the next day to pull the negative on the battery. I wanted to see if the problem would sort itself. It didn't. After disconnect, wait 5, reconnect, everything immediately started working. I also immediately got the email confirmation that my Blue Oval Charging set up was now complete.

So it looks like I might be ordering a quick disconnect battery terminal, so this can be a tool-less operation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER+Tow Tech & Max Tow; Anti Matter Blue
This is what happened to me as well. The app just stopped working. Following the pioneers on this forum who figured it out before me, disconnect the negative terminal on the 12V battery. Remove the plastic cover in the FRUNK to the 12V and undo the 10 mm nut. Lift off the terminal and place it back after a few seconds. Tighten down the nut. That’s it.

Thanks to all the pioneers who went before me.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
This is what happened to me as well. The app just stopped working. Following the pioneers on this forum who figured it out before me, disconnect the negative terminal on the 12V battery. Remove the plastic cover in the FRUNK to the 12V and undo the 10 mm nut. Lift off the terminal and place it back after a few seconds. Tighten down the nut. That’s it.

Thanks to all the pioneers who went before me.
Glad it worked. This works for everyone who had lost communication with the app. Ford engineer has confirmed it is a truck issue (modem gets locked up), not an app issue. It will occasionally come back in but the only consistent thing temporarily fixing it (while we wait for the fix) is grabbing that 10mm socket and removing the negative lead.

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
I’m of the camp this very well be a fordapp issue as well. . There very well could be some modem trouble but I have a lightning / f250 and a transit. All connected to the fordapp.

last weekend it was frozen for 24 hours. Wouldn’t reset.
Later that day it it finally unfroze but during when it freezes I can access data for any vehicle . It’s happens two more times since Friday night but only has frozen for about 2 hours each time.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I’m of the camp this very well be a fordapp issue as well. . There very well could be some modem trouble but I have a lightning / f250 and a transit. All connected to the fordapp.

last weekend it was frozen for 24 hours. Wouldn’t reset.
Later that day it it finally unfroze but during when it freezes I can access data for any vehicle . It’s happens two more times since Friday night but only has frozen for about 2 hours each time.
Deleting app, clearing data, clearing cache, removing FordPass account all don't seem to reliably work at solving the issue.

Removing the negative on the battery works almost everytime...

🤷‍♂️

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
Deleting app, clearing data, clearing cache, removing FordPass account all don't seem to reliably work at solving the issue.

Removing the negative on the battery works almost everytime...

🤷‍♂️
Yep. Did all those except for battery. It only started last Friday for me. Been great with all 3 on the app up till that point

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Yep. Did all those except for battery. It only started last Friday for me. Been great with all 3 on the app up till that point
Try the battery...up to you.

Takes 2 minutes if you have a 10mm socket/wrench, that has now become the goto fix on the Facebook group with the multiple posts about comm loss.

obxckw

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum
I spent a few hours thinking it was me and trying everything I could. After calling customer support, they confirmed that this is a known issue and it will be fixed "Feb 2023." They said to watch for the next OTA update. So for now, no app for me.

Maineiac

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC 60, F150 Lightning (ordered wave 7)
Was having the same problem since 1/14. Ford Pass Chat recommended I go to the dealer for a modem software update. I decided to pull the negative on the 12v and as others mentioned, this fixed the problem immediately and Ford Pass is now connecting . Then within 5 minutes it went back to the modem not connecting. Fast forward about 10 hours and it's back to working again with no actions on my part. Hopefully this ix fixed permanently by February as mentioned by Ford.

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer
The entire Fordpass thingy is now borked. I haven't had connectivity to my Lightning since 1/10, and as of a few days ago, I can no longer connect to our Mach E.

I will try the negative terminal trick now. In the Lightning's config menu, Wifi appears to not be working either (ie, connecting to my house network)

I think this whole thing has multiple root causes, some are vehicle based, some are network based, and some are phone based. Yet another reason why actually trying to rely on "smartphones' for anything real is just not practical.

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
New delivery- I was able to set up PAAK. Lock, unlock, start all work.

Are you not able to open the frunk/tailgate with the app? Mine is greyed out

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Pass app no longer communicating with my truck B3385CF5-D0F2-4D33-AEDE-FAFBBFE1B1B7
Sponsored