• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Makes sense to start with Model E, but I would like to see pricing transparency across all lines.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Timing and actual execution of all of this is what matters. Ford showed by including the whole priority thing to the orders, they don’t mind at all letting dealers manipulate customers. When dealing with reporters and media, Ford always act like it is Ford and customers against evil dealers and they are here to save us. if it was not because of likes of Tesla or Rivian, they could care less about what dealers do to us. It is all about how they execute these lofty goals. All that said, unless they are saying something different in private to dealers, just saying it is a good thing.

I agree that Ford will keep supply restricted. That is the main leverage they have over dealers. None of what they suggest here is possible without it. Then again, if there is enough supply, market will fix some of these issues automatically.

I see when you are charging at the dealer, a sales person may keep you company for the duration and talk about the accessories, or upgrade to a new model you are missing out on. It will be the automotive version of a timeshare presentation.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
I'm hoping the dealers are putting in 4 DCFC that are at least 150 kW speed. That would be really helpful in growing the network. I wonder if they will partner with EA or use another provider and white label it as Blue Oval Charging Network?

Reactions: kab

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
i think that’s is precisely what this announcement is NOT saying

just as with today, everything priced online has a giant asterisk next to it saying “final pricing is determined by your dealer” - because that’s the law, and the law being referenced in the article as being immutable.

so best case scenario is, an online ordering portal you choose your dealer and the online truck pricing is the pricing selected beforehand by the dealer you’ve selected, but likely only for the truck itself.

setting aside the “non-negotiable” price of the truck itself, folks will still need to do what they should be doing today to avoid other dealer “gotchas” - bring in their own third party financing (or full cash) to the closing table, only sell to a third party any “trade in,” and refuse any and all dealer “add ons” that went agreed in the original order.

At present, that appears to no longer be an option. It seems that once an order is made with a dealer, cord is not allowing or assisting to love dealers. That’s why there are a few threads here currently with dealers “springing” ADMs on them despite the order price being absent an ADM.

So, on one hand you’re right only if Ford makes it seem less and easy to switch dealers after an order, or instead make it impossible for dealers to add ADM post-order (which seems the paradigm being proposed).

personally, I agree

it’s not only Ford but every manufacturer that has realized they can increase sales prices, reduce or eliminate supply chain bullwhip, and so make significantly more net profit by selling significantly fewer units, all by simply restricting production such that demand always outstrips supply and no inventory sits.
I've noticed with some dealers today that had markup on their on site for the lightning are now listing at msrp.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I've noticed with some dealers today that had markup on their on site for the lightning are now listing at msrp.
give them call, and first thing they tell you is the ADM price (not MSRP)

mid you find an exception, buy it

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm hoping the dealers are putting in 4 DCFC that are at least 150 kW speed. That would be really helpful in growing the network. I wonder if they will partner with EA or use another provider and white label it as Blue Oval Charging Network?
I will put in my bet at a single 25kw DCFC to match the Harley dealers. This is Price is Right rules correct?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
25kw would be an insult. I've been contemplating just slow charging over the course of the week and topping up at a DCFC over the weekend as needed. Would be awesome to use a dealership location as there's one on my way home from work. I could always top up by leaving a little early Monday morning.

I wonder if the dealers with offer free/discount charging for buying from them? That would be a nice perk for choosing them.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
The dealerships that have chargers (that I have seen) don't charge to use them...but they aren't really easy to access. Like they'll ICE them or they'll rope chains across the stalls, place them on the backside of the building, and whatever odd sort of hassle they can conjure up.

I don't see Ford dealerships just setting these up in the parking lots like a Costco so people can easily and freely come and go.

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
The dealerships that have chargers (that I have seen) don't charge to use them...but they aren't really easy to access. Like they'll ICE them or they'll rope chains across the stalls, place them on the backside of the building, and whatever odd sort of hassle they can conjure up.

I don't see Ford dealerships just setting these up in the parking lots like a Costco so people can easily and freely come and go.
Yeah... thats not how this is going to play out. Dealers will be required to have customer facing dcfc available 24/7. These announcements today will represent probably 750 million to 1 trillion dollars spent on dcfc infrastructure in the next 18 months. Dealers will try to capitalize on income from chargers to help offset the cost. I will not be surprised to see Dealers add coffee shops or such on dealer property to again capitalize on the charging installation costs. Most dealership have lots of available space since inventories of new vehicles are pretty much non existent.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
When I looked at PlugShare, all the dealerships around me (if they had a charging station) was only level 2. I like that Ford specified that the DCFC had to be public facing. I'll be keeping tabs on the two in town to see if they start promoting plans for charging. They both say no ADM for the lightning so I could be convinced to switch my reservation based on a charging perk. I won't be ordering anytime soon, I reserved a month before Ford locked them. I'll be in the Summer '23 order group most likely so that gives me time to wait and see.

Sponsored

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
I will put in my bet at a single 25kw DCFC to match the Harley dealers. This is Price is Right rules correct?
You’ll win under those rules. You may also get a 1000 bonus for getting exactly right.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Yeah... thats not how this is going to play out. Dealers will be required to have customer facing dcfc available 24/7.

Dealers will try to capitalize on income from chargers to help offset the cost.
As far as I know, all dealership DCFC have already been "public facing" but whenever I've tried to use them they are slow, blocked in, roped off, or "not working." In addition to that, dealerships don't allow the public to come onto their property after hours.

I am interested to see if any of these dealerships are able to make any profit from this venture. They'll be paying commercial electricity rates, which get hit with demand charges. The tricky part here is that the more volume a charger does the more it costs to run its, which is one of the reasons charging stations tend to operate at a loss according to the articles I read.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
does it need to be this complicated? let me order the car online. let me pick it up and drive out of there within half an hour without speaking to a salesperson. don't need chargers there.
I dont disagree, but also one of the reasons I reserved the Ford Lightning in the middle of the presentation is I assumed dealers would have chargers installed all over the place and at least here in Wisconsin it is jaw dropping how many little communities have Ford dealerships. There actually is a value add opportunity here for dealers and Ford if they play their cards right. If they can combine their service lounges into nice EV charging waiting lounges their is a huge win over Tesla and Rivian currently.

I agree right now the dealer experience is a big negative. Provides zero value and is delaying me getting my truck by weeks if not months because I cant just go get it! I would had mine 3 weeks ago, and still have no idea when I'll get it.

The big 3 are playing with their hands tied behind their backs right now in the EV space. Reason #1 many states still have thug like distubutorship laws that are the doing of the big 3, and they have to be subtle about how they throw their dealers under that bus when they start lobbying the other direction. They are reaping what they sewed in the regard.

The other issue is Tesla, Rivian, and Hyundai/Kia dont have to put up with the UAW's B$. Again big 3, you made your bed. Sleep in it.

Farley is smart to use the EV market as a way to transition away from the legacy model as much as possible. Unfortunately the UAW problem will always be there. 2008 was their chance. They didnt take it
Sponsored