• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk Died. Water intrusion? Nearing a month at the dealer with unknown timeline and Ford corporate terrible communication.

ranchd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro SR
Occupation
Software
So, Like some others my Frunk died, needed a new module and supposedly was water intrusion. I guess my truck isn't supposed to get wet? Service fault came on and wouldn't open. Like others was able to open it finally manually, but required two people to do it. Pull the manual release and someone to pull up. After that it just kept binging it was open and service fault warning. Had it towed to the dealer.

Also, like many others experiencing long waits it's been nearly a month now at the dealer. Timeline to get done, unknown. They have the parts, but are overwhelmed and have no idea when the tech can get to it. Was also informed I am not the only one with Frunk problems at this dealer.

What really bothers me though is I got in touch with Ford corporate very early on and got a ticket opened. What I really wanted was to ensure they knew about this and make sure there is a real fix vs just replacing the part and then it dies again and I have to bring it back again and wait another month. Ford corporate communication with customers is near non-existent. It's like they don't even try with zero updates unless I call over and over. I asked for a technical person to get in touch with so we can discuss the issue and ensure some sort of TSB get's issued or where they are at on it on the investigation. Crickets.

The dealer themselves is awesome and regularly contacting me even if it's just to tell them sorry, it's not done yet. They also apparently asked ford engineering about the water intrusion with no answer.

Now with the production line halted and word that customers are going into limp mode to save the battery: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/17/ford-f-150-lightning-ev-issues-battery-fire.html and Ford isn't sure what is the problem I'm seriously thinking of having Ford buy it back and just buy used Tesla until a truck that is more reliable is available. Glad I kept my old 2001 F150 just in case.

Jim Farley at least knows all these quality issues are a huge problem, but it's going to be quite some time before they get it fixed.

If someone from Ford reaches out, please do not ask to put in yet another case number where nothing is going to happen. If you want to do something, send me a check to cover my payment of a truck I am not using.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I must be missing something. The frunk is dead and the truck is at the dealer, who has the parts, but doesn't know when they'll get to it?

Can't you just drive your truck while waiting for an appointment? It would be like driving an old-timey truck from the days before frunks.😁

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I must be missing something. The frunk is dead and the truck is at the dealer, who has the parts, but doesn't know when they'll get to it?

Can't you just drive your truck while waiting for an appointment? It would be like driving an old-timey truck from the days before frunks.😁
I think he said the truck thinks the frunk is open when its not so you cant drive it.

OP
OP

ranchd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro SR
Occupation
Software
I think he said the truck thinks the frunk is open when its not so you cant drive it.
Correct. You can technically drive it, but the system yells at you constantly with warnings and bings.

Sponsored

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
So, Like some others my Frunk died, needed a new module and supposedly was water intrusion. I guess my truck isn't supposed to get wet? Service fault came on and wouldn't open. Like others was able to open it finally manually, but required two people to do it. Pull the manual release and someone to pull up. After that it just kept binging it was open and service fault warning. Had it towed to the dealer.

Also, like many others experiencing long waits it's been nearly a month now at the dealer. Timeline to get done, unknown. They have the parts, but are overwhelmed and have no idea when the tech can get to it. Was also informed I am not the only one with Frunk problems at this dealer.

What really bothers me though is I got in touch with Ford corporate very early on and got a ticket opened. What I really wanted was to ensure they knew about this and make sure there is a real fix vs just replacing the part and then it dies again and I have to bring it back again and wait another month. Ford corporate communication with customers is near non-existent. It's like they don't even try with zero updates unless I call over and over. I asked for a technical person to get in touch with so we can discuss the issue and ensure some sort of TSB get's issued or where they are at on it on the investigation. Crickets.

The dealer themselves is awesome and regularly contacting me even if it's just to tell them sorry, it's not done yet. They also apparently asked ford engineering about the water intrusion with no answer.

Now with the production line halted and word that customers are going into limp mode to save the battery: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/17/ford-f-150-lightning-ev-issues-battery-fire.html and Ford isn't sure what is the problem I'm seriously thinking of having Ford buy it back and just buy used Tesla until a truck that is more reliable is available. Glad I kept my old 2001 F150 just in case.

Jim Farley at least knows all these quality issues are a huge problem, but it's going to be quite some time before they get it fixed.

If someone from Ford reaches out, please do not ask to put in yet another case number where nothing is going to happen. If you want to do something, send me a check to cover my payment of a truck I am not using.
Yep the quick response to get a case open makes you feel good then they disappear. Sorry to hear of another long service delay. Seems like they should be able to bypass the warning to at least let you drive it while the dealership has you in queue.

OP
OP

ranchd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro SR
Occupation
Software
Latest update. So, now the dealer contacts me and says that the module they got from Ford is the wrong one. This is either the second or third time it's happened now. Hopefully i dont have to wait another month. @Ford Motor Company. How can this be happening?

OP
OP

ranchd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro SR
Occupation
Software
for anyone interested as @Ford Motor Company doesn't seem to really care since I haven't heard a peep from them since early on as noted earlier. The truck is in now week 5 or 6 at the dealer. I can't even remember when I brought it in. The latest is they got the parts, put them in and.... it didn't fix the problem, so more parts are ordered(another module of some sort) and supposedly Ford tells the dealer that will fix it. Problem is yet again, getting the actual part. It's been over a week since they ordered it.

The dealer told me he has one Mach E there with problems Ford has been unable to solve for 6 months and many other similar stories. If this goes to month 2 seriously considering having them buy back the truck, buy a used Tesla and wait it out until a more reliable vehicle becomes available.

Arthuryy

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150

This is indeed a bad thing, here is suggested to wait a little longer

Sponsored

j150

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023 Lariat Extended Range.
Wife had an issue with the Frunk today.
Tried a few times. Manually a few times. No dice.
Went to a dealer, then it opened right up.
Lucky?

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
Wife had an issue with the Frunk today.
Tried a few times. Manually a few times. No dice.
Went to a dealer, then it opened right up.
Lucky?
as in no beep noise and it wont open up with the button below the frunk latch? Press and hold the button about a second and it usually works for me. If you use PAAK, it may be connectively issue when the phone puts the phone in a standby mode. Open the app so it wakes up.
Sponsored