• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GM To Adopt Tesla/NACS Charging Standard

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Sounds like Wired is making a big deal of a ~four-year-old design. Consumer Reports now rates both Ford and Tesla vehicles as being below average reliability based on feedback surveys from their readers. So, I hope Tesla is not learning from the "big boys" (at least not Ford). In market capitalization, Tesla is certainly the big boy compared to Ford and GM ($603 billion compared to Ford's $56 billion and GM's $50 billion).

The real big boys are Apple ($2.46 trillion) and Microsoft ($2.49 trillion) with Alphabet (Google's parent company) at $1.5 trillion. Amazon trails at "only" $1.24 trillion.
No one mentioned anything about market capitalizationā€¦..

Apple, Microsoft and Amazon build trucks?

It never fails when anything Tesla comes upā€¦. Point to their finances or stock priceā€¦
Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
It never fails when anything Tesla comes upā€¦. Point to their finances or stock priceā€¦
Just consider then that Ford and GM are copying Tesla's chosen charging standard and want to piggyback onto Tesla's charging network, not the other way around. Also, most forum members seem to feel that despite Elon Musk's erratic leadership, Tesla has the goods in EV hardware and software compared to Ford and GM, not the other way around. At least when it comes to EVs, Ford, GM, and Stellantis are the little boys..., struggling to survive.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Just consider then that Ford and GM are copying Tesla's chosen charging standard and want to piggyback onto Tesla's charging network, not the other way around. Also, most forum members seem to feel that despite Elon Musk's erratic leadership, Tesla has the goods in EV hardware and software compared to Ford and GM, not the other way around. At least when it comes to EVs, Ford, GM, and Stellantis are the little boys..., struggling to survive.
No one has ever argued that Tesla isnā€™t the leader in EVā€™sā€¦ā€¦ we are talking about trucks

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
we are talking about trucks
And since both Tesla, GM, and Stellantis have yet to sell their trucks, it's a little bit early to decide who the big boys will be in EV trucks. When Musk can orchestrate the creation of PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, Boring, etc., putting him down for the quality of any future trucks Tesla might produce before they're even off the production line seems, at best, a gratuitous snide remark at this point in time. It might be better to see what's happened at least a year or two down the road.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X
No one mentioned anything about market capitalizationā€¦..
Apple, Microsoft and Amazon build trucks?
Top 25 Automakers by Market Cap

Ford F-150 Lightning GM To Adopt Tesla/NACS Charging Standard 1tqK6yX

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The reply was to the quoted post from @luebri

NACS is an open standard and NEVI regulations can accommodate it.
Problem is NEVI calls out CCS explicitly as required. It would take a legislative amendment to retract that. (Not a law expert)

@Texas Dan what are your thoughts on this? Think it possible NEVI gets altered of more auto makers abandon ship?

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
So glad the superior system is winning out.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Problem is NEVI calls out CCS explicitly as required. It would take a legislative amendment to retract that. (Not a law expert)

@Texas Dan what are your thoughts on this? Think it possible NEVI gets altered of more auto makers abandon ship?
The administration has been fast and loose with their interpretation of the law Congress passed. I'm sure, if it's in their political interest, they will ignore anything that states CCS is mandated.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
And since both Tesla, GM, and Stellantis have yet to sell their trucks, it's a little bit early to decide who the big boys will be in EV trucks. When Musk can orchestrate the creation of PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, Boring, etc., putting him down for the quality of any future trucks Tesla might produce before they're even off the production line seems, at best, a gratuitous snide remark at this point in time. It might be better to see what's happened at least a year or two down the road.
Iā€™m still waiting for Elon to demo the swappable battery he promised in 2013. šŸ˜‚

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™m still waiting for Elon to demo the swappable battery he promised in 2013. šŸ˜‚
And I'm still waiting for my Bed Scales and Smart Trailer Hitch that Ford promised me in 2021! :ROFLMAO:

Then when the truck was delivered, I discovered I didn't have the spare tire lock that Ford didn't even explicitly notify me I wasn't going to get. šŸ™„

Ordering and getting the Ford Perimeter Plus Security accessory was a nightmare of logistics (Ford is no Amazon; Ford's excuse was, "we have so many distribution centers; we can't stay on top of what every one of them is doing - well, Amazon dwarfs Ford and somehow it can stay on top of where it's stuff is down to the moment it's delivered to your door).

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
The administration has been fast and loose with their interpretation of the law Congress passed. I'm sure, if it's in their political interest, they will ignore anything that states CCS is mandated.
So youā€™re saying they wonā€™t honor my return? Iā€™m shocked! What if I kept my receipt!? A taxpayer has to dream once in a while!

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
This development - GM adoption of NACS - will have some interesting downstream effects. Among them:
  • How long until the other major EV players in the US - I'm thinking Rivian, Kia, Hyundai, VW, etc. - also move to NACS?
  • Will ElectrifyAmerica, ChargePoint, etc. move to equip their charging stations with NACS?
  • Will there be "official" changes to the NEVI, either through Executive Branch or Congressional action?
  • How will this impact DC fast charging pricing? Elaboration: Currently, Tesla and CCS chargers are mostly separate walled gardens. Because of the limited interconnectivity, they effectively operate as different markets. Once the walls start to come down, does it create any new competition, and with it, downward pressure on DCFC pricing?
  • Does the emergence of a single standard encourage some consolidation in the EV charging brands? At this point, there are several major players - Tesla, EA, ChargePoint, maybe EVGo or Blink in some areas - and a lot of smaller companies. Personally, I think the real shoe has yet to drop: With the exception of Shell (in the US), the major energy companies - Exxon, Chevron, BP, etc - have not jumped into the charging arena. I think that is coming, and the adoption of NACS will be a factor.

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
While I am generally happy about the announcement, I just hope there will be a way to upgrade the 2022 and 2023 trucks at some point. Why should I be happy about getting a truck in August with an outdated standard...
Sponsored