• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How can I use jack stands when the jack is in the only jacking point under truck?

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Hello. This may sound like a stupid question be here goes anyway. I'm about to rotate my tires and I always like to use jack stands but the manual is very specific about only using the jacking points on the truck frame. How can we use jack stands and place them at the jacking points when the jack is at the jacking points?

Thanks.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Hello. This may sound like a stupid question be here goes anyway. I'm about to rotate my tires and I always like to use jack stands but the manual is very specific about only using the jacking points on the truck frame. How can we use jack stands and place them at the jacking points when the jack is at the jacking points?

Thanks.
Use your spare tire temporarily to support the first tire your removing to start the rotation process, when you end, return the spare to the stowage point, it's a good idea to lower & raise the spare for inspection or pressure and to exercise the mechanism that raises and lowers it.

If there is a sufficient length of sturdy frame rail adjacent to the designated jacking point, I don't think it would be a problem, just don't place it under the motors, half shafts, suspension, battery pack, bumpers or rock shields!!!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This ^^^

Forces people to a) know how to lower the tire, b) ensure the winch isn't frozen and c) check the tire for pressure (I fill mine to the max sidewall pressure).

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
An alternative is using the supplied mechanical jack and a second mech or hyd. This reminds me of the WTF moment when I first jacked my ‘62 Bug up after using 50’s & 60’s era US sedan jacks. I’m going to miss the days of grabbing a floor jack and lifting a ‘56 Ford pickup by the front or rear solid axle.

OP
OP
Lightning Rod

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Use your spare tire temporarily to support the first tire your removing to start the rotation process, when you end, return the spare to the stowage point, it's a good idea to lower & raise the spare for inspection or pressure and to exercise the mechanism that raises and lowers it.

If there is a sufficient length of sturdy frame rail adjacent to the designated jacking point, I don't think it would be a problem, just don't place it under the motors, half shafts, suspension, battery pack, bumpers or rock shields!!!

Yep, I saw this suggestion while searching before I made the thread. I thought there may be a way to add the stands but after looking under my truck, it looks next to impossible.

Your method worked like a charm though. Thanks. :cool:

Sponsored

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor

Can you elaborate on " support the first tire" ?
Have you done this? Or more specifically how did you?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Can you elaborate on " support the first tire" ?
Have you done this? Or more specifically how did you?
Jack frame point designated by FoMoCo, NOT the tire as I wrote.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
At the moment we're having torrential rain so I can't snap a photo of the frame points.

Ford F-150 Lightning How can I use jack stands when the jack is in the only jacking point under truck? 1694386292490

Ford F-150 Lightning How can I use jack stands when the jack is in the only jacking point under truck? 1694386360741

Last edited:

Marcelo Zanetti

First Name
Marcelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150; Ford F-150 Lightning; Ford Explorer;
Occupation
Electrician
At the moment we're having torrential rain so I can't snap a photo of the frame points.

1694386292490.png

1694386360741.png
This came in a good time as I am also past due on my rotation. The method of using the spare tire is brilliant.
Just one question though.
What would be the rotation pattern? Front left on rear right and front right on rear left?

TIA.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This came in a good time as I am also past due on my rotation. The method of using the spare tire is brilliant.
Just one question though.
What would be the rotation pattern? Front left on rear right and front right on rear left?

TIA.
Drop the Spare, check & adjust the pressure.
Substitute the spare onto the Rear-Left, then in the following sequence, move the existing wheels
Rear-Left to Front-Right
Front-Right to Rear-Right
Rear-Right to Front-Left
Front-Left to Rear-Left.
Return the spare to stowage bay.

Repeat the sequence every rotation event and all the tires will get even wear.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm a DIY kind of guy. When I owned ICE vehicles, I changed my own oil. But for $15 or $20, I'll pay to have the tires rotated. It's not worth the hassle.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I'm a DIY kind of guy. When I owned ICE vehicles, I changed my own oil. But for $15 or $20, I'll pay to have the tires rotated. It's not worth the hassle.
If you have a Discount tire in your area, rotations are free. They claim to charge if you didn't buy the tires from them, but several trips have proven otherwise. This may be due to the many times I have purchased from them though.

OP
OP
Lightning Rod

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Drop the Spare, check & adjust the pressure.
Substitute the spare onto the Rear-Left, then in the following sequence, move the existing wheels
Rear-Left to Front-Right
Front-Right to Rear-Right
Rear-Right to Front-Left
Front-Left to Rear-Left.
Return the spare to stowage bay.

Repeat the sequence every rotation event and all the tires will get even wear.

Ok, I think I screwed up.

I always thought that the pattern was... the rears move to front and the front wheels went to the back, only on opposite sides. 😑

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ok, I think I screwed up.

I always thought that the pattern was... the rears move to front and the front wheels went to the back, only on opposite sides. 😑
Start on the next change, here is a graphic of my technique on the left and yours on the right.
The first grouping is brand new truck, next grouping is first rotation interval, and so on.

Ford F-150 Lightning How can I use jack stands when the jack is in the only jacking point under truck? 1694462060894
Sponsored