• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How many miles?

Alohaalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Unemployed
Hi everyone i have two questions 1) How many miles per kilowatt a Lightning does without a trailer driving around 80 miles per hour?
2) what you don’t like about your Lightning and why?
Thanks
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Hi everyone i have two questions 1) How many miles per kilowatt a Lightning does without a trailer driving around 80 miles per hour?
2) what you don’t like about your Lightning and why?
Thanks
I don’t do 80 that often but last time I got 2.0. In cold weather with heat and accessories running, you may get less. I got 2.8 driving in backroads.

I like hardware (mechanical aspects of the truck) but software management sucks.

Overall, I recommend it. It is great for road trips, you can beat most ICE sport cars if you have a heavy foot and you have all the utilities of F150 plus a quiet generator.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Alohaalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Unemployed
If you get 2 miles is not bad my Tesla does 2.2 driving pretty hard, I ordered a lighting 2 years ago it is under production now but I wanted to know from you guys what is the actual mileage the truck truly can do. Regards!

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
If you get 2 miles is not bad my Tesla does 2.2 driving pretty hard, I ordered a lighting 2 years ago it is under production now but I wanted to know from you guys what is the actual mileage the truck truly can do. Regards!
hopefully others will pitch in with their numbers so you can get a better idea.

If you don’t have problem with driving and parking a full size truck, the major shock will be DC fast charging on the road trips if you are coming from Tesla. Hopefully that won’t be as much of an issue in 24. Are you getting standard or extended battery?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
If I'm in traffic, I can get 2.0 to 2.1 mi/kWh at 75mph. Otherwise I'm lucky to get 2.0 mi/kWh at 72 or 73mph. Those are for the summer months. Air conditioning, in my experience, doesn't impact range as much. This is with a Lariat ER. I believe the 20" wheels and heavier truck are more inefficient than the PRO Maxx has.

In cold weather, driving on the expressway at 70+mph usually nets me 1.7 to 1.8 mi/kWh after the cabin and battery warm up.

I like not having to go to the gas station. Driving 100 miles a day, sometimes 7 days a week, it's nice just to come home and plug in.

My only problem is charging on long trips. EA is getting worse, not better. I took a trip from Toledo OH to Baltimore MD last October. I didn't encounter too many problems, but I don't know if I would try it today. I just hope we get our Tesla adaptor before I have to drive to Norfolk or Gatlinburg next year. If I don't have access to the Supercharger network, I'm renting an ICE vehicle.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Alohaalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Unemployed
I’m getting the standard battery and if the feedback from this forum is good I will be selling the Tesla to get the f150 I was forced to get the Tesla because I needed an electric car asap the Tesla software and performance is great but their costumer service and quality is not good. I drive minimum of 110 miles a day to go to work and sometimes more the Tesla gets me back and forth every day without any problems and after 6 hour of charging at home is ready for the next day. Supercharging is easy and fast in 50 minutes I can fully charge the 75 kw battery how long does it take to charge and supercharge yours?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I’m getting the standard battery and if the feedback from this forum is good I will be selling the Tesla to get the f150 I was forced to get the Tesla because I needed an electric car asap the Tesla software and performance is great but their costumer service and quality is not good. I drive minimum of 110 miles a day to go to work and sometimes more the Tesla gets me back and forth every day without any problems and after 6 hour of charging at home is ready for the next day. Supercharging is easy and fast in 50 minutes I can fully charge the 75 kw battery how long does it take to charge and supercharge yours?
You're going to miss your Tesla when you fast charge. This is the best I've ever done. This was on a 350kW EA station. It's about the same time going 20% to 80%. Add another 5 minutes or so on a 150Kw station. And this is if they are dispensing perfectly, which sadly as of late, is pretty rare in my experience.

Ford F-150 Lightning How many miles? Screenshot_20230808_221141_FordPass

With home charging, the fastest you can charge is at 48 amps, so 11.5kWh. Your battery is 98kWh, so about 8.5 to 9 hours from 0 to 100%.

OP
OP

Alohaalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Unemployed
The Tesla supercharging stations I believe they are 480v 100amps, at home I have a 240v with 50amp but the Tesla only charges at 32amp because the cord that the car came with only let you use it a 32amp so in 6 hours the car is 90% charge which it is the limit that Tesla suggest to charge the battery for daily commute ( 90% and not 100%) after driving 110 miles my car when I get home has 35% of the battery left so for each hour of charging I get approximately 6kw. Will the changing ratio for the lighting be close to what I’m experiencing on the Tesla at home?

RST

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 35d, VW ID.4, '23' Lightning Pro, & 4 Bikes
Occupation
Retired
If you are getting 2.2 miles/kWh with your Tesla, I doubt if you'll do better than 1.5 with a Lightning. Using that number, 110 miles will burn 73 kw, or 75% of your SR battery. Starting at 90% will put you at 15% by the time you're home.
I have found that with my SR Pro battery, each percent of charge is pretty close to 1 kWh. So if you need to add 75% to reach your target charge...it will take 75 kw. My 30 amp, level 2 mobil charger actually adds 6.9 kw per hour....75 kw would take me darn near 11 hours with my charger.

You must really hammer on your Tesla. My wife's VW ID.4 is getting 3.6 miles/kWh. Doesn't get down to the low 2's til January, February.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
My experience says @RST ’s KWh usage is a better estimate for mileage at 80mph.

Sponsored

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Lots to consider here.

First question: Driving 80 with trailer. It depends on the trailer and the traffic. If you have a flatbed trailer it won't affect your mileage nearly as much as if you have a cargo trailer. The wind resistance is the difference maker. Same for exceeding 70mph. Your mileage will start dropping dramatically over 70. Without traffic (open road with no car within 1/4 mile) I barely get 1.7 at 75. If you are on a busy interstate you could get 2.1. It's that dramatic a difference. Add a trailer and your mileage will suffer.

Fast charging: Depends on your specific route. Personally, in deep South Texas, I will never again (until (if) Tesla opens up) go over 100 miles from home (with ER battery). It's that bad. Get Plugshare app and check your routes to see if there are reliable chargers. Expect to wait on Sunday afternoons. My last trip it took 3 hours before I could get on the road home. Got home at midnight instead of 9pm.

Home charging: I use the mobile charger which runs at 32 amp. If you can only charge at 32 amps you will get the same 6-6.5 kW per hour. So if you drive 110 miles at 1.8, you will use 61 kW. If you started at 90% you will get home with 27%. It will take you 9 hours to get back to 90%. If you can charge at 50 amps you will do much better than that. I would think the Pro can pull 50 amps but I don't have that information.

Bottom line, if you are trying to pull a trailer at 80 for 110 miles, don't get it. An ER battery, maybe, but not what you have ordered.

Finally, what do I like about the truck? It's soooo smooth driving, and very well built. I don't regret buying it. We just don't take it on the road. For now, we will always have an ICE vehicle.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
2.0 at 80mph? Highly unlikely. I get 2.1 at 75 without a trailer...

benderofbows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro; 2009 F-150 (SOLD); 2022 Bronco
1.7 at 80

Edit: on the highway, wind (speed and direction) does matter. 10-mph tailwind could see you get 2.0 at 80mph; a 10-mph headwind could see you hit 1.7 at only 70mph

OP
OP

Alohaalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Unemployed
If you are getting 2.2 miles/kWh with your Tesla, I doubt if you'll do better than 1.5 with a Lightning. Using that number, 110 miles will burn 73 kw, or 75% of your SR battery. Starting at 90% will put you at 15% by the time you're home.
I have found that with my SR Pro battery, each percent of charge is pretty close to 1 kWh. So if you need to add 75% to reach your target charge...it will take 75 kw. My 30 amp, level 2 mobil charger actually adds 6.9 kw per hour....75 kw would take me darn near 11 hours with my charger.

You must really hammer on your Tesla. My wife's VW ID.4 is getting 3.6 miles/kWh. Doesn't get down to the low 2's til January, February.
Excellent answer this is exactly what I was looking for!

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I get 2.1 @ 70mph and 1.8 @ 75mph. My most recent trip had wind and I did 1.6, what normally took 60% battery to get home took 68%. That's open highway, little traffic. I get better in moderate traffic, maybe an extra 0.2 or so. (Note, this included a couple thousand feet of elevation changes going up and down.)
Sponsored