• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning asked to be plugged in last night because it was cold.

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
The Lightning asked to be plugged in last night because it was cold.

I checked the charger stats this morning and it did call for heat overnight. No departure setting etc.

I am wondering if it would have used the battery to perform the same function if not plugged in.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning asked to be plugged in last night because it was cold. 1808170C-04B2-4CF2-8731-449F21A8062A
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Possibly, but not as much. As you can see, it takes a small hit. My Mach-E did that a handful of times last winter, 15 minutes at a shot.

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Possibly, but not as much. As you can see, it takes a small hit. My Mach-E did that a handful of times last winter, 15 minutes at a shot.
Thanks! I may have to install a second charger (the Ford one). I have been alternating between the PHEV and the Lightning but with temperatures dipping below 32 I’d feel better if I leave it plugged in all the time.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I don’t have a garage and I cannot plug it in most nights. I guess I’m screwed here?
No, the vehicle will take care of itself, and warm itself when it detects it needs to. It will not let the battery freeze.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I don’t have a garage and I cannot plug it in most nights. I guess I’m screwed here?
I think you just need to make sure you have enough charge and make sure your 12V battery does not die so it can tell the main pack do it’s thing.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The Lightning asked to be plugged in last night because it was cold.

I checked the charger stats this morning and it did call for heat overnight. No departure setting etc.

I am wondering if it would have used the battery to perform the same function if not plugged in.

1808170C-04B2-4CF2-8731-449F21A8062A.jpeg
How cold was it last night?

RI fisherman

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lighting on order
Mine said the same message last night. I didn't plug in as i was already at 95% charge from the night before.

I then remote started the car this morning but when i got in it would let me turn it "on" and sowed message "Slow to stop immediately" and service truck soon. i turned off and back on still same message and also unable to shift.

A quick google search i found a thread on the mock E forum about cycling the hazard lights three times on and off. I didn't that and when i started the call all the faults where gone I shifted into reverse and drove to work.

my range was about 25 miles lower than what i would have typically expected in the morning. so not sure if this was because of the tempiture. was 19F when i got in this morning but guessing has something to do with that or the recent OTA updates.

Regardless i think i will be keeping mine plugged in over the winter now since the wifes car takes up the garage and i cant fit in anyways unless i re-arrange all my tool boxes and fishing gear.

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Mine said the same message last night. I didn't plug in as i was already at 95% charge from the night before.

I then remote started the car this morning but when i got in it would let me turn it "on" and sowed message "Slow to stop immediately" and service truck soon. i turned off and back on still same message and also unable to shift.

A quick google search i found a thread on the mock E forum about cycling the hazard lights three times on and off. I didn't that and when i started the call all the faults where gone I shifted into reverse and drove to work.

my range was about 25 miles lower than what i would have typically expected in the morning. so not sure if this was because of the tempiture. was 19F when i got in this morning but guessing has something to do with that or the recent OTA updates.

Regardless i think i will be keeping mine plugged in over the winter now since the wifes car takes up the garage and i cant fit in anyways unless i re-arrange all my tool boxes and fishing gear.
After you posted, I looked into the different forums etc.

In most EV applications the 12v battery seems always to be a week spot. It would be nice to have the 12v battery voltage on the screen to check the status.

the other thing I noticed today is that the battery temperature on the top of the dashboard was to the left indicating that the battery temperature was cold. As I started driving, after about 5 miles, the battery temperature went up.

My explanation is that when you use remote start, the heating is used mostly to warm up the cabin as priority over the main battery. If the battery is too cold, it may trigger some failsafe.

I guess we’ll find out if this is a bug issue in the next 3 months…
Sponsored