• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
This was my Lightning's first long distance trip, moving my daughter and her chunk to her new, first full time employment at the Stenis Research center. As we waited for the tentative offer to be finalized, I was making plans for her move. Rent a U Haul truck, an enclosed trailer or load the truck like gypsies driving down the interstate.

My wife did her research and we came to a conclusion to use the truck like gypsies. We will travel I85 thru Atlanta, to Montgomery, switch to I65 to Mobile, switch to I10 for the rest of the way to LA where her apartment was located.

Plotted the course in the FordPass, and the trip planner developed an itinerary.
Marked the cities where the trip planner had me taking charges and developed a course with my Android Auto/Google maps as my primary navigation. Wanted to know traffic flows, interstate construction zones, accidents and other bottle neck issues. I was trying to push the truck and myself to the edge battery depletion/range anxiety by minimizing the number of charging stops.

I had to find out how efficiently the truck will do this trip with all furniture loaded on the truck. A week earlier, I purchased a 20mil tarp, to cover the load and reduce the drag to an acceptable minimum. With this plan in motion, we departed on the 18th of Oct for LA.
Knowing also how challenging it is to use the EA network, previous disappointments, my wife was questioning my decision making process. Plan B was to stick together with my daughter's vehicle, (Fusion Hybrid), behind me and if took more than an hour in each stop, then they run ahead and wait for me until I arrive.

Plan B was only partially implemented for the last 90 miles. Had to pick up the keys to the apartment before 5pm.

This trip was going to be an observation of how the Lightning performed, EA charging network performed, how various systems in the truck performed such as, Blue Cruise, Adaptive Cruise control, Lane centering, Collision Avoidance Warning System alarms, Battery system performance, passenger comforts and overall ride over multiple road surfaces. My daughter decided to ride with me. Wife drove the hybrid.

I had to be in a calm space. My daughter was watching my every move. She likes the Lightning, a lot. I reminded her that this was her Daddy's truck.

5:30 am came quickly that day. We were on the road with 100% battery and leaving Greenville SC behind. I85 at this time of day was basically free flowing. Settled in at interstate speed +5 and Blue Cruise on. My daughter wanted creature comforts so I yielded generously for them. Confident that we will make our first stop at East Point GA.

2:23 hours to our first stop but traffic in Atlanta is like rolling the dices any time of the day. 40 minutes delay and with our nerves in check had arrived to East Point GA. Now.....EA's turn.
I pulled in at a 350kw stall. 6 350s with one unavailable. Trying to hold myself from wetting my pants, I initiated a charge and hang around for the charge rate. 181kw and holding. Time to run to the Walmart restrooms. Came back right at 50% and was holding a charge rate at 120kw. At 70%, the charge rate dropped to 100kw and at 80% it was at 80kw. At 85% it dropped to 58kw. Charged to 90% and finish my charge with 74kw upload and $13.49 + tax.

The girls showed up with breakfast and off we drove to our next stop at the end of I85. Montgomery AL. At this portion of the trip, I tried to stretch the range of the battery but 40 miles from Montgomery and 50 miles to my next alternate location in Greenville AL, I was pushing my luck and making my daughter very nervous. My inner Spock voice was telling me " it is not logical". Montgomery AL it was our next stop. Again....EA's turn. Found a 350kw stall and initiated a charge. Peak 147kw. Run to the restrooms and within 32 min, I had uploaded 84kw at $13.24 +tax.

Back on I65 now to Mobile AL. Again the truck made the better calculations.
Saraland AL and another EA station.

Initiated charge at 143kw and run to the restrooms. 89kw and $12.78+tax.

It is in this stop were the plan B was put into action. The girls left me to go ahead. I could had gone with them but the truck had me arriving at 24% charge. Slidell LA is devoid of chargers. The only one was at a Ford dealership at a 6kw rate. The folks at Supreme Ford were welcoming and kind to let me leave the truck and charge for as long as I needed. I took their offer the next day for three hours.

Back to my trip though. Left Saraland AL alone. I planned another short stop at Gulfport Mississippi to top off and drive the remaining 41 miles to my final stop.

That charge was complimentary from EA. Not bad and everything worked as expected. All the charge rates were within the trucks limitations and didn't have any issues. Although every location I stopped, one or two stalls were unavailable, meaning didn't work, the screens were blank. 3.5 * for EA. Another observation that is made was the EA's stalls at East Point GA were new, looked different and had longer cables. All other stations that I visited on my trip were older versions.

With the truck loaded and covered and an average 72mph Cruise speed, in the end it averaged 1.8mpkw. In some places, I reduced my speed to 65mph but my efficiency stayed at 1.8. I attributed the drag due to my load.

I arrived in Slidell 40 min behind the girls. They were surprised and I had 73% battery charge left. Time to unload.

The truck worked flawlessly for 595 miles. It was comfortable, smooth, in control. Blue Cruise worked 80% of the time. Construction zones and rough road surfaces would upset the system.

Another observation was evident when I departed the Gulfport location and driving West, the sun was at 7°-5° elevation from setting, it will disengage immediately, when the sun hit the camera/sensor in the windshield or any time I had to hide my eyes behind the visor from the blinding sun.

Ford knows about that, I suppose???

The next few days, I employed the truck to do the heavy lifting. Furniture hauling and couple runs to grocery stores to stock her apartment. The last days of our stay, my wife and I decided to check the coast, local State Parks all the way to Gulfport. Stopped again at Gulfport for a top off charge. 176kw charge rate to 90%. Took 46kw at $9.72+tax.

Drove 41 miles to Slidell and we were ready for our return trip home.

6:30am on 25th of Oct, we were back on the road heading East on I10. Blue Cruise worked until the sun was 3°-5° above the horizon. Me and my wife were hiding behind the visors until we reached Mobile AL.

When you have the sun in your eyes, low in the horizon, it is Kryptonite for BC.

Stopped at Saraland AL to charge. Again....EA's turn. Charge rate at 150kw. Uploaded 77kw to 85% at $11.14+tax.

Off to Montgomery AL for a charge.

Complimentary charge from EA. Next stop, East Point GA. 176kw charge rate to 90%. 82kw upload at $13.99+tax.

This time all the stalls were busy. One was still unavailable. Once I got at least a 90mile
cushion to my destination, I was confident that I will arrive home with plenty of charge left.
As soon as we got back to I85 from East Point GA, we were confronted again with the Atlanta traffic. It was flowing with stop and go portions and slow moving in intersections of I85/I75/I20/I285 were coming together. 35 minutes later we were back to speed on I85N. BC made the difference going home. All in all the truck averaged 2.0mpkw. No load to carry home. The roll cover deployed and the efficiency numbers were improved.

Arrived at home in less than 12 hours including a stop to grab dinner to go.

The costs of running down to LA were $39.51. One stop in Gulfport MS for$9.72. The return trip home for$25.13. The entire costs for the 1400 mile trip, including the run around was $74.36. EA's Member+ membership came handy. It paid for itself. Overall, I give EA 3.8*. In every location the were stations unavailable irregardless of their conditions (newer or older). Also at one station along my route, at least one station was derated to 50kw(Chademo).
From past experiences, traveling in the SE, this trip was refreshing and it restored some confidence that I had completely lost with EA.

The truck performed flawlessly and never heard the girls questioned Zeus on the entire trip.
Well done Ford.

Now, I am waiting for BC 1.3.

How much longer????

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning's trip to LA and back to SC. 1400 miles. Flawless performance PXL_20231017_220523190

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning's trip to LA and back to SC. 1400 miles. Flawless performance PXL_20231017_220500338
Sponsored

Tfarrell73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23Lightning Lariat ER in production, 17 GMC Sierra
Your charging costs are much less than I get in the Chicago area. Pass+ is around .36 per kw

Mike m

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2013 platinum lightning
Nicholas,
Thank you for sharing the information and congratulations to your family for daughters accomplishments. If I was tracking the costs it seems to be consistent with a trend I am seeing. At a high level your out of pocket is about 1/3 the cost of a gas f150. Of course MPG and cost of a gallon of gas varies on state and blend. Sound right? I am a new EV owner so I may be wrong.

Mike

OP
OP

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Your charging costs are much less than I get in the Chicago area. Pass+ is around .36 per kw
On this trip my Pass+ was $.29 on every station I stopped.

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
If I could avoid Atlanta for the rest of my life I would. I haven't been in close to 12 years until here recently, only this time we took the lightning. Most parking garages it doesn't fit. Waiting on a charger there is like your describe, and just the amount of people piled up in one area is madness. I couldn't get away from that place fast enough and don't care if I ever see Atlanta again.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Great trip report!

OP
OP

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Nicholas,
Thank you for sharing the information and congratulations to your family for daughters accomplishments. If I was tracking the costs it seems to be consistent with a trend I am seeing. At a high level your out of pocket is about 1/3 the cost of a gas f150. Of course MPG and cost of a gallon of gas varies on state and blend. Sound right? I am a new EV owner so I may be wrong.

Mike
Your estimates are right on.
This is how it works out with the Lightning. My Mach E would have done better, closer to 3.0mpkw. One less stop but no much of a load.
I am planning to take the Mach E on Christmas, when we visit again.
I will report on that excursion also.
Good luck....Mike.

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro ER
I'm in the Birmingham area but my side of the family is on the MS coast. I've only made the drive down there once in my Lightning since I got it, but on the way there and back I stopped at some of the stops you mentioned: Greenville, AL, Saraland, AL, and Gulfport, MS.

All three locations worked flawlessly for me. Encouraging to hear others are having the same experience at those locations since I'll be visiting them multiple times a year.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
While still impressive, your title hooked me with the "LA" part. Thought you took it coast-to-coast to LA Los Angeles! (y)

Stanjj

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Consultant
Thanks for sharing ... Great trip.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Still waiting for my truck (SHOULD be here this week) but boy oh boy, I know a lot of folks would read the above and be horrified ... LMAO. Can't wait for my truck to arrive!! :)
Sponsored