• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lowering Lightning height by a couple inches

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I am having a very unfortunate situation where my truck is 1/4"-3/8" too tall to fit in the parking garage of a family member we visit often. There is a fixed in place steel min height clearance bar that literally just scrapes the top of the two rear satellite antennas. I could probably go in and out of the garage but will severely scratch and damage the two antennas in the process. There is literally no other parking in the area so we've been forced to park far away and walk 5 blocks. I'm almost ready to say goodbye to the pristine condition of the antennas and park in the garage.

I'm actually surprised just how tall the truck is. There are several other large trucks that park in the garage including an older F-150 and three Jeeps. There are even a few larger SUVs with roof racks and they fit just fine.

I noticed how high the rear is relative to the front. The rake seems excessive and it makes loading the bed a pain. There is so much room in the wheel well it's crazy. So I'd love to drop just the rear 2"-3" if at all possible. I'm also fine lowering the front 2-3" as well but figured it's easier to just focus on the rear. I would love to get the entire truck to drop 2" as it would make it much easier to get in and out of. I'm not interested in getting the "low rider" look so limiting the drop to 2" for both front and rear or 3" for the rear only is the goal.

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive and easy way to drop the height without voiding the truck's warranty? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
carry an air pump with you.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I would experiment with lowering the tire pressure and'/or putting weight in the bed and frunk. That should get your truck to squat enough to get in the garage.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I am having a very unfortunate situation where my truck is 1/4"-3/8" too tall to fit in the parking garage of a family member we visit often. There is a fixed in place steel min height clearance bar that literally just scrapes the top of the two rear satellite antennas. I could probably go in and out of the garage but will severely scratch and damage the two antennas in the process. There is literally no other parking in the area so we've been forced to park far away and walk 5 blocks. I'm almost ready to say goodbye to the pristine condition of the antennas and park in the garage.

I'm actually surprised just how tall the truck is. There are several other large trucks that park in the garage including an older F-150 and three Jeeps. There are even a few larger SUVs with roof racks and they fit just fine.

I noticed how high the rear is relative to the front. The rake seems excessive and it makes loading the bed a pain. There is so much room in the wheel well it's crazy. So I'd love to drop just the rear 2"-3" if at all possible. I'm also fine lowering the front 2-3" as well but figured it's easier to just focus on the rear. I would love to get the entire truck to drop 2" as it would make it much easier to get in and out of. I'm not interested in getting the "low rider" look so limiting the drop to 2" for both front and rear or 3" for the rear only is the goal.

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive and easy way to drop the height without voiding the truck's warranty? Thank you in advance.
Load the bed with cinder blocks is the easiest and cheapest way as a temporary solution

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Walking 5 blocks would seem much preferable to destroying the antennas. I can't imagine loading hundreds of pounds of cinder blocks because I can't walk 5 blocks, but to each their own.

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Bring 4 large (250+ lbs) friends with you when you visit your buddy.

To add weight without having to load and unload a literal ton of bricks, you could throw a water tank in the bed. Fill it with water from the hose. When done, you can just pull the plug and drain it out back out.

A 200 gallon tank would add 1600 lbs of water weight.
https://www.ntotank.com/200gallon-acerotomold-white-pickup-truck-bed-tank-x9723956

For something more portable and stowable when not in use, find a ballast bag like they use to add ballast on wake boats:
https://www.lakesurf.com/products/s...MdMZ1SwOYtHtTeMwUMNdF5v0MeLDecCxoCcw0QAvD_BwE

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
Does your Lightning have 20" wheels? Smaller 18" wheels would give you the lower height you seek. GL

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Walking 5 blocks would seem much preferable to destroying the antennas. I can't imagine loading hundreds of pounds of cinder blocks because I can't walk 5 blocks, but to each their own.
If you’re really set on it, Home Depot would load it for you. It would of course wear on the suspension..but it technically meets the objective.

OP didn’t ask for a good or preferable solution. Just the cheapest one that doesn’t void warranty..

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive and easy way to drop the height without voiding the truck's warranty?

Lower air pressure in tires enough to clear but not enough for rim to bottom out onto tires. Fill tires back up after exit.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Thanks everyone for the replies. I was looking for a permanent way to lower the truck by two inches. So this wouldn't be a temporary thing. I'm considering installing a lowering kit that lowers the truck by 2 inches but not sure where to do this and if it will void the warranty or cause ride issues.

Another permanent solution would be to install some bolt on weights in place of the spare tire. I only drive in urban areas so I'm not concerned about being stranded with a flat. I believe I'd need about 300 lbs of weight permanently attached somehow to the underside of the truck bed. This could of course also void the warranty. I could fill the spare tire with sand or water but that wouldn't get me the weight I need. And I doubt the spare tire bolt on bracket is intended to hold that kind of weight. I understand adding the extra weight could also improve ride quality and wet road traction. I guess I'll wait til someone else has a similar goal to drop the height slightly without voiding any warranties.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
It depends how much you use the bed, but leaviing the requisite load in the bed will lower the ride and would not void your warranty. Plus removing the load restores the bed for whatever you might need to haul.

NO_ICE

First Name
Hai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, model x, model y performance
Another thread mentioned Belltech Adjustable struts (part #25027) which can lower it up to 3". Not sure if it works or if anyone has tried it. Also not bad for $125 each rear and it shouldn't* void warranty.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Smaller tires would do it