• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New truck tried to kill me!

OP
OP
MontanaLightning

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
Ford CRC was in direct contact with my local dealer's service department. I was on hold while they discussed between them. After the multiple system failures reported by the dash I couldn't even use cruise control. The steering issue and system failure alerts continued until I was able to make it to my shop where it is now parked. I had to drive with two clinched hands to be ready for the steering wheel jerk and lock up. I'm strong enough to man handle the failed steering, but a person with less strength could have ended up in a severe accident.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I have not made a payment on the truck and don't see a reason to for a vehicle that can't be used.
If you financed with a Ford I can sympathize, but any third party financing would be injured, you're going to have negative spin off neglecting your contractual commitment to the bank or Ford Motor Credit

OP
OP
MontanaLightning

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I checked the LV battery connections and found a voltage of 12.61. No issues there. The service coordinator at the purchasing dealer was sympathetic to the situation and is checking on the available options.

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I checked the LV battery connections and found a voltage of 12.61. No issues there. The service coordinator at the purchasing dealer was sympathetic to the situation and is checking on the available options.
I'm assuming you did, but while checking the 12V battery voltage, did you ensure the connection were tight at both the battery and on top of the BMS stud on the negative terminal?

OP
OP
MontanaLightning

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, everything was tight.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Failing 12V batterys have caused this sort of thing before. Especially on vehicles that were recently purchased after sitting on dealer lots for a very long time.

OP
OP
MontanaLightning

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The load test shows 100% battery health, however the voltage is now 12.32. I remember seeing a post about phantom power draw...

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE

Sponsored
OP
OP
MontanaLightning

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks @Mike G I will look into that. In the mean time I reached out to @Ford Motor Company to see if they will lean on my local dealer with poor service to get me a loaner vehicle before Nov 15th. The purchasing dealer 187 miles away said if I delivered the truck they would get me a loaner vehicle that day and get the truck in the bay within 1-2 weeks.

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
92 Explorer,94 F150,06 Avalanche,05 F250,11 F150
The whole "kill me" thing is a bit dramatic to say the least...

I've had instances where the speed recognition picked up a different sign/speed limit and decelerated rapidly... Enough for me to go "wtf" and floor it to get back up to speed.

There's been instances where the lane assist / blue cruise thought an offramp was the road and I had to go "wtf" and counter- steer to stay in course.

There's been instances where bluecruise is mapped but the road gets a bit twisty and without much warning it craps out and says "oh, sh-t, you take control" and if you're not paying attention you're now relying on lane assist which is OK, but not "hands free".

So the moral of the story is that all these are all _driver aids_ not replacements, be present and ready to intervene and you'll be fine.
Harsh! Sounds like the OP had a legit concern. Something like that happens in a bad place, death.

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
92 Explorer,94 F150,06 Avalanche,05 F250,11 F150
Driving 70 mph on a two lane highway and had multiple system failures at once. The steering assist failure tried to put me into the ditch. I had to fight the steering wheel to keep from exiting the roadway. Has anyone experienced this or am I just the lucky one? At the beginning of this trip I could not get any buttons to open the frunk. Truck is parked until I figure out what to do. Truck has 1500 miles on it.
Glad you’re ok.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Harsh! Sounds like the OP had a legit concern. Something like that happens in a bad place, death.
I think there's a big difference between a legit concern, or even "power steering failed, could have crashed" and "my truck tried to kill me !", that's all.

A complete power steering failure is obviously much worse than fighting lane assist, if that is what happened. But even so, it is usually not completely frozen /
unmaneuverable at that point (think we would have seen a lot more lawsuits if that was the case), but I suppose anything could happen, especially if the driver panics.