• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New truck tried to kill me!

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
Driving 70 mph on a two lane highway and had multiple system failures at once. The steering assist failure tried to put me into the ditch. I had to fight the steering wheel to keep from exiting the roadway. Has anyone experienced this or am I just the lucky one? At the beginning of this trip I could not get any buttons to open the frunk. Truck is parked until I figure out what to do. Truck has 1500 miles on it.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Were you using BlueCruise?
How was the lane line visibility?

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Driving 70 mph on a two lane highway and had multiple system failures at once. The steering assist failure tried to put me into the ditch. I had to fight the steering wheel to keep from exiting the roadway. Has anyone experienced this or am I just the lucky one? At the beginning of this trip I could not get any buttons to open the frunk. Truck is parked until I figure out what to do. Truck has 1500 miles on it.
Were you referring to lane assist or Bluecruise? Lane assist has various levels of alert, but generally won’t force you off the road.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Also use the feedback & voice report function in Sync to alert the Ford engineers of this problem

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Do not forget to add " @Ford Motor Company ". Are the steering and frunk problems extra cost psychological test options? "Let's see how humans handle multiple problems going down the road."

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
The whole "kill me" thing is a bit dramatic to say the least...

I've had instances where the speed recognition picked up a different sign/speed limit and decelerated rapidly... Enough for me to go "wtf" and floor it to get back up to speed.

There's been instances where the lane assist / blue cruise thought an offramp was the road and I had to go "wtf" and counter- steer to stay in course.

There's been instances where bluecruise is mapped but the road gets a bit twisty and without much warning it craps out and says "oh, sh-t, you take control" and if you're not paying attention you're now relying on lane assist which is OK, but not "hands free".

So the moral of the story is that all these are all _driver aids_ not replacements, be present and ready to intervene and you'll be fine.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Your dealer will handle any warranty problems.

Could be 12v battery connections.

F150 electric steering racks have been known to fail in the ice trucks.

OP
OP
MontanaLightning

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I've read Ford has had EPAS failures for many years. It's that, but in addition the steering wheel jerks left or right before locking up.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Sounds like you need a trip (or a tow) to the dealer. I've experienced the same items as Mr.Magoo while using BlueCruise and simple encouragement on the steering wheel solves it. If you were not using BlueCruise and you needed to wrestle with the wheel you need to get it checked out. This is not normal.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The whole "kill me" thing is a bit dramatic to say the least...
If he had to fight the steering to get the control of his truck back in manual mode, his statement is not dramatic enough. If that happened to me, I would be so freaked out that I would look into trading mine for another brand and never look back. As of now, my truck has been great in all the ways that matter and I consider it a keeper but I wouldn't dismiss anyone else's experience because it is different from mine.

OP
OP
MontanaLightning

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I bought the truck on 9-21-23 from an out of state dealer because my two local dealers have poor customer service to put it kindly. Within a week of bringing my truck home I scheduled an appointment with one of the local dealers to have the two CSP items addressed. I called Ford CRC about this issue this morning which they contacted the same local dealer. They won't look at the truck until my scheduled appointment on 11-15-23. They won't do anything with a rental vehicle until the truck is diagnosed. I'm left disappointed and just returning the truck is at the top of my list. I have not made a payment on the truck and don't see a reason to for a vehicle that can't be used. I'm going to look into legal representation. This is extremely inconvenient and the time to deal with this is costing me money.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I bought the truck on 9-21-23 from an out of state dealer because my two local dealers have poor customer service to put it kindly. Within a week of bringing my truck home I scheduled an appointment with one of the local dealers to have the two CSP items addressed. I called Ford CRC about this issue this morning which they contacted the same local dealer. They won't look at the truck until my scheduled appointment on 11-15-23. They won't do anything with a rental vehicle until the truck is diagnosed. I'm left disappointed and just returning the truck is at the top of my list. I have not made a payment on the truck and don't see a reason to for a vehicle that can't be used. I'm going to look into legal representation. This is extremely inconvenient and the time to deal with this is costing me money.

Have you tried to call back Ford after dealer told you 11-15 is the earliest? Ford can be persuasive sometimes.

Also, is it possible that you hit lane keeping assist button by accident? My lane keeping feature has never been predictable (I don't understand how it thinks) and I have it mostly off. I only use it when I am very tired or distracted. May be, you turned it on by accident and it went crazy. If that is the case, you may be able to drive it before 11-15. Then again, it may be hard to travel back in time to see if that was the case.

If you changed your mind and stuck with it, please keep us posted about diagnosis as this may have an impact on the rest of us. Regardless of the path you take, good luck.
Sponsored