• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

10% Charge Loss Overnight--portable 120V charging

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
I am still using the 120V portable charger. I have not gotten an electrician to the house yet.

Yesterday, when the charge state hit 92%, I used the app to Stop Charging. This morning, about 12 hours later, I walked into the garage and heard an audible hum from the truck. It was off. No lights on. Just the hum. I checked my app first to see if it was charging. It was not, but the charge state said 82%.

Anyone have an explanation?

From now on, I guess I will unplug the truck when I stop charging.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Posted often. Stop charging isn't stop until I plug in again.

The only reason to go from 92% to 82% would be the truck running. It wouldn't drop that much from cold.

120v cannot do much charging in frigid weather.

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat

The only reason to go from 92% to 82% would be the truck running. It wouldn't drop that much from cold.

I think you might have misread my post or something. Not sure what is "posted often," or what relevance the second sentence has to my question.
The truck was not running.
It was 55-60 degrees in my garage last night.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Posted often means that there are many threads explaining that Stop Charging won't stop it forever, it will kick back on at some point.

I was trying to explain how you would lose 10 points of charge overnight.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I am still using the 120V portable charger. I have not gotten an electrician to the house yet.

Yesterday, when the charge state hit 92%, I used the app to Stop Charging. This morning, about 12 hours later, I walked into the garage and heard an audible hum from the truck. It was off. No lights on. Just the hum. I checked my app first to see if it was charging. It was not, but the charge state said 82%.

Anyone have an explanation?

From now on, I guess I will unplug the truck when I stop charging.
I don’t have mine yet so I don’t really know what I am talking about but here are just some random theories out of thin air to get your trouble shooting juice flowing may be you can find the real reason:

• Truck woke up for a software update and didn’t fall sleep after For a while.
  • you had it scheduled to heat the cabin in AM and it preconditioned the main pack to 70 as well because it was plugged in.
  • it was cooler in the morning so less of that 92% was available for use. Would it go back up as you drive? Or would it lose less than usual as it warms up?
  • I am not sure if it would lose that much juicing the 12V battery but you could do this again and measure the voltage on 12V before and after. It would be nice if Ford would show us how much juice goes to 12V and when.
  • Your wife gets in there in the middle of the night and play with the interface.
  • ‘Your son took it out to pick up his girlfriend when you were watching TV.
  • Cat stepped on your phone when it was unlocked and the Ford pass was on the screen.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Posted often means that there are many threads explaining that Stop Charging won't stop it forever, it will kick back on at some point.

I was trying to explain how you would lose 10 points of charge overnight.
But it didn’t restart charging. Thanks for your effort though.

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
I don’t have mine yet so I don’t really know what I am talking about but here are just some random theories out of thin air to get your trouble shooting juice flowing may be you can find the real reason:

• Truck woke up for a software update and didn’t fall sleep after For a while.
  • you had it scheduled to heat the cabin in AM and it preconditioned the main pack to 70 as well because it was plugged in.
  • it was cooler in the morning so less of that 92% was available for use. Would it go back up as you drive? Or would it lose less than usual as it warms up?
  • I am not sure if it would lose that much juicing the 12V battery but you could do this again and measure the voltage on 12V before and after. It would be nice if Ford would show us how much juice goes to 12V and when.
  • Your wife gets in there in the middle of the night and play with the interface.
  • ‘Your son took it out to pick up his girlfriend when you were watching TV.
  • Cat stepped on your phone when it was unlocked and the Ford pass was on the screen.
Funny and thoughtful. The third bullet point seems like the only possible one though, although it would mean that Ford is not watching the weather very well. Hard to imagine losing a KW per hour overnight to the 12V battery or an update. That’s a lot of power.

Ford should give us an option to see the KWh remaining and let us do the math. For now I just think in terms of blocks of 10% equal to 13 KWh, so 82% is about 105 KWh. From there I figure expected mileage, such as 2 miles per KWh will get me about 210 miles.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning

The battery heater can draw 10kW, as measured by our friend in Fairbanks during his -40F test drive. So depending how cold it is, using up the 13kWh that's 10% of the total capacity is not out of the question.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Maybe Ford was watching the weather outside and it didn't factor in your heated garage. I'm pretty sure the audible hum is the HV battery coolant pump. Do you have Max Tow? Did your range guess go down 25-30 miles, also?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Funny and thoughtful. The third bullet point seems like the only possible one though, although it would mean that Ford is not watching the weather very well. Hard to imagine losing a KW per hour overnight to the 12V battery or an update. That’s a lot of power.

Ford should give us an option to see the KWh remaining and let us do the math. For now I just think in terms of blocks of 10% equal to 13 KWh, so 82% is about 105 KWh. From there I figure expected mileage, such as 2 miles per KWh will get me about 210 miles.
I think over time, all of us will get to know our trucks better and develop our own gesso-meter with Sensitivity to weather, elevation, shape of the items we are towing,…. Until then, we will have to stay on the conservative side.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
SOC dropping 10% [13KW] is a lot!
When the truck cools overnight range reduces but not SOC.

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Maybe Ford was watching the weather outside and it didn't factor in your heated garage. I'm pretty sure the audible hum is the HV battery coolant pump. Do you have Max Tow? Did your range guess go down 25-30 miles, also?
Garage is not heated, just insulated (for the mini-split A/C!). Overnight low was about 45. Yes on the Max Tow. I did not check the miles guess. Thanks for the info on the coolant pump.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
SOC dropping 10% [13KW] is a lot!
When the truck cools overnight range reduces but not SOC.
This is not complicated. Im not sure why this is a struggle for some folks.

With the truck off, You do not lose KWH in the cold... you lose efficiency of how far a KWH will get you!

Only caveat, I am aware of is if its super cold like below 0 for extended time and the "emergency" battery warming takes place then SOC will be depleted some.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
With the truck off, You do not lose KWH in the cold... you lose efficiency of how far a KWH will get you!

Only caveat, I am aware of is if its super cold like below 0 for extended time and the "emergency" battery warming takes place then SOC will be depleted some.
Agreed, state of charge stays the same but range is reduced. I lost 30 miles of range due to 5 hours parked in subzero weather but SOC stayed the same: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/how’s-your-lightning-doing-in-the-cold.13762/post-287648
Sponsored