• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
It’s definitely the 12V battery.
Yep, I was skeptical too, but it matches what the Home Assistant integration shows for LVB SOC and CarScanner. All three showing 89% while my HVB is clearly at around 83%.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Yep, I was skeptical too, but it matches what the Home Assistant integration shows for LVB SOC and CarScanner. All three showing 89% while my HVB is clearly at around 83%.
That’s how I knew for sure - I looked at it showing 78% when my truck was down in the 40s.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
That’s how I knew for sure - I looked at it showing 78% when my truck was down in the 40s.
I logged in and love seeing that on the ford.com. I haven't done the leg work to see if it matches my true 12v battery SOC, but I can tell you it doesn't match my HVB SOC. The number of miles do match though. So I'm still really wondering if it is LVB or HVB.

However, this could take the cake for one of the dumbest things Ford has ever done.

I wonder if they realize we are even driving an EV? You put the "Charge Level" front and center on a web page where I log in, of course I think that has to be the HVB SOC. The HVB SOC is what 99.99% of EV owners talk about. I've never heard a Kia owner or a Tesla owner worry about or talk about the LVB SOC. Only Ford owners, like us, because Ford can't manage it and install SW.

To say the least - who puts that anywhere without clearly labeling that is the LVB/12V SOC.
Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 5.11.00 PM

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen IMG_5498.PNG

Arrington.LCA

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I’ve historically had issues with updates failing, and I don’t know that my HVB has ever been down to 38%, so I’m curious about this actually being the 12V battery %. I’ve got 6.4 and the 2023 Improved DC Fast Charging update in the last 3 days, so things are seemingly working a little better.

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen IMG_3196

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
OK - This SOC is even crazier. I went to read the MachE thread and clicked the link there - logged into my Ford Account again - I took these screen shots 25 minutes apart. I've not been to the truck, I didn't start the truck, I haven't driven the truck and now my "SOC" what ever it is from now shows it is 10% less AND I gained a mile of range. My mobile app now show 211 miles DTE too.

First screen shot taken at 5:11 PM Central, the second taken at 5:36 PM Central. SOC drops 10%.

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 5.11.00 PM

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 5.36.51 PM

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
OK - This SOC is even crazier. I went to read the MachE thread and clicked the link there - logged into my Ford Account again - I took these screen shots 25 minutes apart. I've not been to the truck, I didn't start the truck, I haven't driven the truck and now my "SOC" what ever it is from now shows it is 10% less AND I gained a mile of range. My mobile app now show 211 miles DTE too.

First screen shot taken at 5:11 PM Central, the second taken at 5:36 PM Central. SOC drops 10%.

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 5.11.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 5.36.51 PM.png
In my experience the Ford Account data on the web does very slow updates. In Home Assistant it will tell you the last time it updated. Often it is more than 12 hours for me when not driving. The nice thing about HA is you can force a refresh and it will ping the Ford servers. I know in the app you can pull down on the screen and get a refresh but since this LVB is on the website I don't know how to force a refresh - it's likely just pushing the same stale data (i.e., clicking F5 doesn't refresh data).

In other words your 63% could be from many hours ago and it refreshed between 5:11 and 5:26.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
In my experience the Ford Account data on the web does very slow updates. In Home Assistant it will tell you the last time it updated. Often it is more than 12 hours for me when not driving. The nice thing about HA is you can force a refresh and it will ping the Ford servers. I know in the app you can pull down on the screen and get a refresh but since this LVB is on the website I don't know how to force a refresh - it's likely just pushing the same stale data (i.e., clicking F5 doesn't refresh data).

In other words your 63% could be from many hours ago and it refreshed between 5:11 and 5:26.
I know we are in a SW update thread, but I'll ask here anyway. What is the Home Assistant you speak of. Typically I'm connected and have all the gadgets, but I don't have that one.

Scratch that - I found the Home Assistant thread - https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...rd-f150-lightning-dashboard.17424/post-350848

Last edited:

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 5.11.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 5.36.51 PM.png
Theres a glitch in the site - that is actually your 12V battery SOC.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
It’s definitely the 12V battery.
Agree this is one of the dumbest things Ford has every done, nobody gives a rats arse about the LVB in general unless trying to install an update. On the other hand the HVB is what an EV driver thinks of when it comes to day to day driving. Here is an idea for you Ford...how about you put them both on this screen at Ford.com on our vehicle dashboard with emphasis on the HVB. geez lol

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Agree this is one of the dumbest things Ford has every done, nobody gives a rats arse about the LVB in general unless trying to install an update. On the other hand the HVB is what an EV driver thinks of when it comes to day to day driving. Here is an idea for you Ford...how about you put them both on this screen at Ford.com on our vehicle dashboard with emphasis on the HVB. geez lol
I’ve been looking at this all day and have no rhyme or reason. So I’m just going to agree with this. Dumb. Voltage goes up (even tested under a load) and capacity goes down. Voltage goes down capacity goes up. At least I’ve convinced myself it’s not the HVB.

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Here is an idea for you Ford...how about you put them both on this screen at Ford.com on our vehicle dashboard with emphasis on the HVB.
An even better idea. Allow both HVB and LVB to be displayed somewhere on the dash or on the Sync screen in our trucks. Since you can be stranded on the road if the LVB goes dead, I kinda disagree that it's not so important except for updates to know how the LVB is faring. Just like the engine and battery temperatures, there at least ought to be an idiot light somewhere to flash an annoying warning light when your LVB is getting perilously low on SOC or charge capacity. AIA, in case there's already such an indicator that I haven't learned about.

I agree with the pro-LVB SOC crowd. The Ford.com display is the LVB SOC. My Ford.com account says 74% SOC. Car Scanner says my LVB is at 73%. FordPass says my HVB is at 49% SOC and it hasn't been above 50% SOC in WEEKS. With an ER battery, that's enough for more than 100 miles of in-city driving in a day, so I never charge it above that unless I'm leaving town.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
It is really sad when the most dependable "feature" of the OTA update process is failure.
Normally it's "Failure is not an option."
But with Ford and OTA updates it's "Failure is...actually the preferred option."

But for those struggling with updates failing due to low SOC on the 12V battery, here's some basic things to try that should solve the issue for 99.9% of people.

1. Start the truck and disable the power down timer.
2. Leave it "running" for at least an hour (this will charge the 12v battery much faster than almost any battery tender could)
3. Shut down the truck.
4. Restart the truck and re-attempt the update.

If the update still fails after this, try this next:
1. Repeat the above steps. (Yes let it "run" at least another hour)
2. Shut down the truck.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the 12v battery
4. Wait at least a minute.
5. Reconnect the 12V battery negative battery cable
6. Start the truck and perform the BMSZ reset procedure (will be outlined below)
7. Re-attempt the update.

At this point, you should have zero issues with the update install.

BMS reset procedure.
1. Turn the truck to the on position (push start button without depressing the brake pedal)
2. Ensure you see the battery symbol illuminated on the instrument panel
3. Pull back and release the turn signal stalk to flash the high beams five times rapidly.
4. Depress and fully release the brake pedal three times
5. Wait about 5-10 seconds to see the battery icon flash three times

If you followed the steps correctly and saw the battery icon flash, your BMS has now been reset.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
there at least ought to be an idiot light somewhere to flash an annoying warning light when your LVB is getting perilously low on SOC or charge capacity. AIA, in case there's already such an indicator that I haven't learned about.
There is ..... lower right corner of the instrument cluster symbol of battery, it's displayed while we are in accessory mode as a gentle reminder that we are running minor accessory from the 12v LVB.

RST

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 35d, VW ID.4, '23' Lightning Pro, & 4 Bikes
Occupation
Retired

Well, it's definitely not the HVB. Just charged mine overnight to my standard 80% SOC. Checked my account at ford.com and saw this. Vehicle mileage is dead on... so this is up to date....have never charged my truck to more than 85%.

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen IMG_20231215_065208667

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
There is ..... lower right corner of the instrument cluster symbol of battery, it's displayed while we are in accessory mode as a gentle reminder that we are running minor accessory from the 12v LVB.
Yes, the proverbial idiot light lol ☝
Sponsored