• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Tomorrow is 30 days in the shop and 6 weeks since the reported issue! Only available service technician is still on vacation for another week. I plan to contact Ford to check into buyback options.
Sponsored

MadLighting

First Name
STephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lighting
it took them 42 to days to get mine Fixed,, and not my truck will not DC Fast charge very well 5 different EA stations across NC max 37kw when chargeing from 40% SOC. So I filed a buy back. Ford Rushed these truck to market, I paid over 100k for my truck November 2022

RacerX98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT
It has been at the dealer for evaluation for one week and they have not looked at it yet, not one single phone call. I have left messages with the service department. Seems like they don't have qualified people to assess the problem
(9 days later) Got a call from SVC dept yesterday; they said "because the svc engine light went away, there is not thing they can do unless they make the error occur again" , then they asked if I wanted to drive it to make the error happen. I told them no, you drive it until you tell me there is nothing more you can do. Seems they want to sweep it under carpet even though the error is recorded and they do not know what caused it. I am concerned that this is now a "Known Bug" they just don't know how to deal with it yet.

dgargano

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
IT Manager
Tomorrow is 30 days in the shop and 6 weeks since the reported issue! Only available service technician is still on vacation for another week. I plan to contact Ford to check into buyback options.
:(Omg, that is terrible.

Fastmikerx7

First Name
FM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR
Occupation
.GOV
Hello everyone.
2023 SR Lariat.
Got the dreaded messages and power reduced to 25%.

I was right by the Bellevue WA Ford Dealer(AutoNation ownership I think).

Pulled in and gave truck to them.

No loaner/no rental/blamed Ford on that.
I will be reaching out to various contacts on Tuesday(Labor Day Weekend right now).

Dec 14 build date.
7k miles on truck.
It did sit for an extended amount of time after build in a extremely cold weather event waiting to be shipped.

Anyhow, PM'd the official @Ford member here. Hopefully they can help.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power Screenshot_20230902_184700_FordPass
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 20230902_104339

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
dreaded messages and power reduced to 25%
As others have mentioned, call 1-800-392-3673 for BEV team to create a case number. This seems to help get the ball rolling faster.

Fastmikerx7

First Name
FM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR
Occupation
.GOV
Well...Got a case #.

I was not reassured by the person I spoke with. Definately sounded like she was speaking from a script and tried to get thru it with minimal input from me other than answering questions.

She said she can't make outgoing calls today due to call volume and that all that will be offered for a rental is $60 a day. No guarantee on a loaner since that is dealer based.

$60 a day for a rental here in the Seattle area isn't going to get me a truck...that is forsure..

But! I will try...

Stay tuned

JetsonLightning

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Scientist
Well, it's now happened to me! We recently completed two cross-country trips totalling 7,500 miles with no problem (except for too many public DCFCs being out-of-order and too sparse in some regions). On Labor Day Sunday … after the truck had been sitting in driveway unused at 90% SOC for 3 days, I tried to charge it closer to 100% for a trip. Got a charge fault (red light next to charge port plus error message in app). Tried unplugging and re-plugging in a few times … same charge fault.
Started truck and immediately got these messages:
High Voltage Battery Warning
Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power

and info saying to NOT drive vehicle and get it serviced right away!
Shutting truck off and restarting a few times over the next 48 hours resulted in same problem.

I checked the 12V battery terminal connections (and tighten them) as some have mentioned to do in this thread. That did not change anything. But I did notice a lot of dirt/dust on the 12V battery and inside its compartment, so I'm wondering if our truck is missing some covers underneath to prevent that from happening?

Called Asheville Ford (NC). Had to leave a voicemail and it was many hours before they called back ... and that was "coincidentally" soon after I called the Ford Cust. Relationship Center (800-392-3673) and a case number was created and the BEV team member called the dealership on my behalf and also left msgs.

Dealership said soonest available appt is a month away!!
The past two times I've needed warranty repairs on this Lightning (coolant leak, and tailgate light assembly shorted from water getting inside) it took weeks to get an appt and then they kept the truck for at least a week each time, so I'm fearing the worst. I'm losing income with every day that I cannot drive my Lightning ... income needed to make the large truck payments.

The Ford Cust. Relations BEV person told me I "may" get a rental via the in-warranty rental program, but not until the dealership diagnoses the problem and submits the proper paperwork.

Even with the previous two warranty repair issues, we've been very happy with the truck. But with this being the third serious issue in 7 months of ownership of a new truck and the length of time it takes our local dealership to address them, we are becoming quite discouraged.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power Screenshot.FordPass_warning_msgs
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power Dashboard_pic.shows_warning_lights_on

irpete

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I had a similar experience. What I did was clear the trouble codes (DTC) and was able to drive it until my appointment. Unfortunately for me, it sat at the dealership for 56 days and I ultimately pursued the lemon law process through the BBB Autoline program.

Ford has approved my buyback and I’m just waiting for their offer.

I picked up the repaired truck a week ago and so far no problems. But like you, I’m scared that if there is another problem of any kind the service timeline will kill me.
I also loved my truck but I refuse to go through something like this again.

Sponsored

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Well, it's now happened to me! We recently completed two cross-country trips totalling 7,500 miles with no problem (except for too many public DCFCs being out-of-order and too sparse in some regions). On Labor Day Sunday … after the truck had been sitting in driveway unused at 90% SOC for 3 days, I tried to charge it closer to 100% for a trip. Got a charge fault (red light next to charge port plus error message in app). Tried unplugging and re-plugging in a few times … same charge fault.
Started truck and immediately got these messages:
High Voltage Battery Warning
Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power

and info saying to NOT drive vehicle and get it serviced right away!
Shutting truck off and restarting a few times over the next 48 hours resulted in same problem.

I checked the 12V battery terminal connections (and tighten them) as some have mentioned to do in this thread. That did not change anything. But I did notice a lot of dirt/dust on the 12V battery and inside its compartment, so I'm wondering if our truck is missing some covers underneath to prevent that from happening?

Called Asheville Ford (NC). Had to leave a voicemail and it was many hours before they called back ... and that was "coincidentally" soon after I called the Ford Cust. Relationship Center (800-392-3673) and a case number was created and the BEV team member called the dealership on my behalf and also left msgs.

Dealership said soonest available appt is a month away!!
The past two times I've needed warranty repairs on this Lightning (coolant leak, and tailgate light assembly shorted from water getting inside) it took weeks to get an appt and then they kept the truck for at least a week each time, so I'm fearing the worst. I'm losing income with every day that I cannot drive my Lightning ... income needed to make the large truck payments.

The Ford Cust. Relations BEV person told me I "may" get a rental via the in-warranty rental program, but not until the dealership diagnoses the problem and submits the proper paperwork.

Even with the previous two warranty repair issues, we've been very happy with the truck. But with this being the third serious issue in 7 months of ownership of a new truck and the length of time it takes our local dealership to address them, we are becoming quite discouraged.

Screenshot.FordPass_warning_msgs.jpeg
Dashboard_pic.shows_warning_lights_on.jpeg
after 5weeks of being parked at he Dealer lot they confirmed it’s in the garage and expected to be complete by Friday. But at this point I am not sure I trust the truck long term and have started a buyback through Ford. I am waiting for their offer to determine if I want to keep the truck. Pros and cons for both options at this point

JetsonLightning

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Scientist
These dealer appointment and repair timeframes are horrendous!
Ours is now at the dealer, but in the very back of their big lot and we don't have an appointment. I'm going to pester them to diagnose the issue (should be fairly simple with OBD II and their diagnostic system, right?) because obtaining an in-warranty rental vehicle requires the diagnosis first.

@irpete : What did they do to "fix" yours? And I don't blame you for fearing more such experiences. I don't understand why Ford isn't stepping up to save their reputation ... and why the dealerships are providing such terrible service.

@YankeeCP : What is the dealership saying they are finally doing to fix yours?

And what is required to start the Ford Buyback process?

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
These dealer appointment and repair timeframes are horrendous!
Ours is now at the dealer, but in the very back of their big lot and we don't have an appointment. I'm going to pester them to diagnose the issue (should be fairly simple with OBD II and their diagnostic system, right?) because obtaining an in-warranty rental vehicle requires the diagnosis first.

@irpete : What did they do to "fix" yours? And I don't blame you for fearing more such experiences. I don't understand why Ford isn't stepping up to save their reputation ... and why the dealerships are providing such terrible service.

@YankeeCP : What is the dealership saying they are finally doing to fix yours?

And what is required to start the Ford Buyback process?
mine was diagnosed to have a recall CSP 23HO1. See below, after 30 days in the shop it qualifies for as a Lemon in FL. I contacted the Ford BEV team regarding my case and she collected some vehicle purchase data In order to generate a buyback offer

What will Ford and your dealer do?
For the purposes of this program, Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to replace certain high-voltage battery module(s) from your vehicle with new parts free of charge. The replacement parts will help prevent performance degradation of your high-voltage battery.

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
I posted on a different thread but I’ll add my details here. Truck has been at the dealer 29 days. Battery module arrived at the dealer a week ago but the ev tech was out sick all last week. Hoping to have it by the end of this week.
Sponsored