• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
So it looks like I have a cell issue - Module 8 : Tier 2…cell 85:
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power img_1835-jpe

Module should come in a week, but the thermal paste is on backorder… :(
Anyone: How does State of Charge relate to Capacity? See Cell #34 in Module 4 for its low capacity, but Stae of Charge is still up close to other cells. Weird?
Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Anyone: How does State of Charge relate to Capacity? See Cell #34 in Module 4 for its low capacity, but Stae of Charge is still up close to other cells. Weird?
I didn't see that when I posted it, but yes its odd. Keep in mind that I only charge to 90% on the daily, and this was around 87% by the time I went to the Ford dealer (~5 miles away), and it was 89% when I saw the issue remote starting. I will be keeping a ODB reader with me after this and check the charge level more often (or to be able to reset it so I can charge at least) if I am on a long road trip and this issue happens again.

If there is any correlational, I will be needing several battery arrays/modules soon though as some of them are quite lower than the standard. @RickLightning or @MickeyAO might know more about this.

I wish I had a whole picture of the modules, but I snapped a picture of the other side more.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_1832

Last edited:

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I guess I will see “Old Yeller” in about 2 weeks :(

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_1841

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
I had a module replaced last year in like March 2023. But 2 months ago March 1, 2024 I had powertrain malfunction alert. It was raining and I tried to toggle on BC and the IPC spooked me with plenty of alerts. Auto hold disabled, BC disabled, etc, etc. The truck showed 56% power available (the left bar) and the truck sped up at a steady 1mph per second I'd say. The accelerator pedal became useless as the truck automatically and continuously sped up, only the brakes worked properly. Once I parked and restarted, the problem went away.

Last edited:

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I had a module replaced last year in like March 2023. But 2 months ago March 1, 2024 I had powertrain malfunction alert. It was raining and I tried to toggle on BC and the IPC spooked me with plenty of alerts. Auto hold disabled, BC disabled, etc, etc. The truck showed 56% power available (the left bar) and the truck sped up at a steady 1mph per second I'd say. The accelerator pedal became useless as the truck automatically and continuously sped up, only the brakes worked properly. Once I parked and restarted, the problem went away.
When I first got the vehicle, maybe around a month in, I had a PT issue as well. However that was quickly resolved by leaving the vehicle off for about 2 minutes and then turning it back on. This is the sad reality of manufacturing now… test it out in the field type of mentality. This is why I don’t like the cybertruck. Not because of the looks, although I grew to like it, but the drive by wire system. It scares me knowing that there isn’t a physical linkage to the wheels.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Well, I just talked to the service manager, and my battery module came in. They are just waiting for the "cover" (not sure what he means), but that should be here tomorrow. He is hoping that I should have it back by the end of day Friday.

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Had this error also. Truck only had 400kms on it. Just purchased the truck brand new the day before. It error occurred after DCFC for the first time and after that it would not charge on any DCFC, only on Level 2.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Well, I just talked to the service manager, and my battery module came in. They are just waiting for the "cover" (not sure what he means), but that should be here tomorrow. He is hoping that I should have it back by the end of day Friday.
Repair involves a module (aka "Array Assembly"), two tubes of thermal paste, and a new heat shield (guessing the old one is covered in paste).

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 1716428377952-pv

calarch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Construction
Had this error also. Truck only had 400kms on it. Just purchased the truck brand new the day before. It error occurred after DCFC for the first time and after that it would not charge on any DCFC, only on Level 2.
Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this too. Yours sounds eerily similar to mine. Powertrain Malfunction within 24 hours of ownership and shortly after the first DCFC.

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this too. Yours sounds eerily similar to mine. Powertrain Malfunction within 24 hours of ownership and shortly after the first DCFC.
Yeah, it’s a bit of a pain in the butt. The truck seemed to function normally otherwise. The dealer hasn’t figured out the fix yet. On a positive note, my Ford charger pro is in transit, so I might have it installed before I get the truck back.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Repair involves a module (aka "Array Assembly"), two tubes of thermal paste, and a new heat shield (guessing the old one is covered in paste).

1716428377952-pv.png
I assume what they label as the heat shield is the cooling assembly on the bottom of the battery. The TIM can be scraped off, but it’s recommended to get a new one since it could be hard as a rock.

I still don’t get understand the use of the word “cover” though. Anyway, they dropped the battery in preparation for the module install. Knowing how big the pack is and seeing it are two different things. This pack is massive… lol.
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_1904

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_1916

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_1911

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_1922

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The fault was recreated again by the dealer. It seems to be a consistant problem every time and only when charged on a DCFC. It’s looking more and more like a faulty on-board charger.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
The fault was recreated again by the dealer. It seems to be a consistant problem every time and only when charged on a DCFC. It’s looking more and more like a faulty on-board charger.
What codes are present?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I’m trying to get that info today.
Even the Service Advisor can easily see the codes set by looking at your VIN. They get a very nice display by day on the truck comms and codes.
Sponsored