• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lariat ER doesn't precondition while on

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
A couple weeks ago we stayed in Wheatland, WY and were plugged into the hotel's free destination charger for about 12 hours. Truck was on and we were running a large car fridge/freezer with the bed pro power and had the cabin heat running. I set a departure time and was surprised to find it didn't precondition.

So if the Lightning is turned on is it effectively preconditioning the entire time it's on?

It was very cold and our next destination was a DCFC in Casper, WY hence my desire to have the truck preconditioned for the 109 miles of cold interstate travel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
To precondition, the truck has to be charging, and you must set a departure time in the sync interface. In the 90 min or so ahead of the departure time, the truck will start the pre-conditioning process. Note: this is only recommended for expected cold weather long hauls. Short daily commutes don't benefit from pre-conditioning, and quite a lot of shore power is used by the process.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
A couple weeks ago we stayed in Wheatland, WY and were plugged into the hotel's free destination charger for about 12 hours. We were running a large car fridge/freezer and had the cabin heat running. I set a departure time and was surprised to find it didn't precondition.

So if the Lightning is turned on is it effectively preconditioning the entire time it's on?

It was very cold and our next destination was a DCFC in Casper, WY hence my desire to have the truck preconditioned.
I do not believe the preset departure time works if the vehicle is on as you had it set. I also don't know what kind of battery management it's doing in that time either - ie, whether it keeps the battery as warm as preconditioning would make it.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
How do you know it didn't precondition?

I don't think it would while the truck is OK, but I'm curious how you knew. OBD2 reader?

Ford needs to make managing the battery status more transparent. It's great that they want to hide all the EV-ness, but given the limitations of current batteries, we need better information and more control.

If you're plugged into shore power, you should be able to hit a precondition button at any time and also see the current temp of the battery at all times without being hidden behind the dummy-gauge that's always in the middle except in extreme cases.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
A couple weeks ago we stayed in Wheatland, WY and were plugged into the hotel's free destination charger for about 12 hours. We were running a large car fridge/freezer and had the cabin heat running. I set a departure time and was surprised to find it didn't precondition.

It was very cold and our next destination was a DCFC in Casper, WY hence my desire to have the truck preconditioned.
No, it is not going to precondition for a departure time when you have already departed, i.e. the truck is on.

But your logic is flawed a bit. If you want the truck to warm the battery for charging, you need to set the charger as the next destination in the Ford Navigation. 18.6 miles from the charger (30km), it will start to warm the battery.

Just driving doesn't accomplish that. In fact, if you precondition for departure, it will warm to around 60 degrees. As you drive, the battery temp will drop. Then, as you approach the charger, it will warm if you do what I described above. While DC fast charging, temp will get to the 90s (turn off cabin heat for the first 10 minutes). Then, as you drive, it will drop.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hammick

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How do you know it didn't precondition?

I don't think it would while the truck is OK, but I'm curious how you knew. OBD2 reader?

Ford needs to make managing the battery status more transparent. It's great that they want to hide all the EV-ness, but given the limitations of current batteries, we need better information and more control.

If you're plugged into shore power, you should be able to hit a precondition button at any time and also see the current temp of the battery at all times without being hidden behind the dummy-gauge that's always in the middle except in extreme cases.
The ForPass app tells you when departure preconditioning starts.

OP
OP
Hammick

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But your logic is flawed a bit. If you want the truck to warm the battery for charging, you need to set the charger as the next destination in the Ford Navigation. 18.6 miles from the charger (30km), it will start to warm the battery.
Not flawed. My post was about departure preconditioning. I'm well aware of charging preconditioning and use it whenever I'm headed to a DCFC (assuming it's in the NAV system).

Sorry if I sound a little defensive but I just watched one of the worst Chief's performances in many years.

Merry Xmas!

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
We were running a large car fridge/freezer and had the cabin heat running.

I doubt Ford engineers considered a driver wanting battery preconditioning while the truck is already on, the broad assumption is that battery condition is fine until approaching a DCFC and that the cabin state is acceptable to the driver however left, even overnight while the refrigerator is being powered by PPOB.

Your scenario is a tiny fraction of what the average user is expecting.

BTW, not rub salt in the wound, but the Pat's finally pulled off a win, SMH.

Last edited:

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
The truck will use shore power to warm the battery if it's plugged in and running.
Either through manually pushing the start button, remote start or a pre-conditioning session (essentially a remote start on timer).

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The truck will use shore power to warm the battery if it's plugged in and running.
Either through manually pushing the start button, remote start or a pre-conditioning session (essentially a remote start on timer).
He had the truck already running to run PPOB and power the portable fridge.

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
He had the truck already running to run PPOB and power the portable fridge.
And in that case the battery temp will be maintained as long as it's hooked up to a charger, at least that's my experience.
Granted, I have not logged mine overnight in cold temps so perhaps that's something I'll look into as soon as we get colder temps, but at least starting it (via start button in the truck) will condition battery temp while plugged in.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
And in that case the battery temp will be maintained as long as it's hooked up to a charger, at least that's my experience.
Granted, I have not logged mine overnight in cold temps so perhaps that's something I'll look into as soon as we get colder temps, but at least starting it (via start button in the truck) will condition battery temp while plugged in.
You using the terms "condition" and "maintained".

Yes, when the truck is running, it will keep the battery above freezing. It will NOT condition the battery to warm temps that allow faster DC charging. That requires navigating to the charger.

This can be easily observed with an OBD adapter and Carscanner.

Last edited:

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Yes, when the truck is running, it will keep the battery above freezing. It will NOT condition the battery to warm temps that allow faster DC charging.
This is the problem.
There's too many naming conventions with similar names and functionality.

My truck, when plugged in and left "running", (no one has talked about driving yet, only plugged in) will use shore (house/charger, not battery) power to condition (heat) the battery to 60-65F.

This has been logged by OBD as I have done for the better part of a year (look up black box on this forum).

jmill27

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning lariat
I doubt Ford engineers considered a driver wanting battery preconditioning while the truck is already on, the broad assumption is that battery condition is fine until approaching a DCFC and that the cabin state is acceptable to the driver however left, even overnight while the refrigerator is being powered by PPOB.

Your scenario is a tiny fraction of what the average user is expecting.

BTW, not rub salt in the wound, but the Pat's finally pulled off a win, SMH.
My 2016 Tesla notifies me while driving when it starts to precondition before my next Supercharging stop. Surely my 2023 Lariat ER should be able to do the same, right?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
My 2016 Tesla notifies me while driving when it starts to precondition before my next Supercharging stop. Surely my 2023 Lariat ER should be able to do the same, right?
This use case [OP POST} was sitting in a parking lot over night.....................

Your Lightning gives you no clues about enroute pre-conditioning to a DCFC, Trust The Truck.
Sponsored