• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Priority Update: 23-PU0306-BCF-DET

Has your truck received this update?

• Total voters

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
This is the first time I've had repeated failures from an update. Not pressed enough to go spend money on a laptop and dongle to do it myself.

I'll keep not paying attention to it until either (a) it succeeds, or (b) I take it in for its first service in a few weeks.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Do you use the Mongoose or the VCX? I‘m not sure I’m ready to spend $500 but I’m wondering if the VCX is reliable.
If you are going to mess with FDRS you must buy the Mongoose. There are some things that the other adapters can't handle. We have a pretty good thread and help on this forum with @Mike G , but the really big thread and lots of support is over on the ICE forum. There have been trucks bricked from using cables other than the Mongoose.

Forscan is safe with the cheaper cables, if you just want to change some functionality.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
If you are going to mess with FDRS you must buy the Mongoose. There are some things that the other adapters can't handle. We have a pretty good thread and help on this forum with @Mike G , but the really big thread and lots of support is over on the ICE forum. There have been trucks bricked from using cables other than the Mongoose.

Forscan is safe with the cheaper cables, if you just want to change some functionality.
Yeah, I have a cable I use with Forscan. It's amazing how much they get away with charging for the Mongoose. I could buy the laptop you need to run FDRS for less than the interface cable. I will probably have to make the investment eventually but I'm not quite there yet.

Reactions: GDN

Phineas Magliozzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT, optionless.
Finally updated at 1 AM. I've updated poll to "Yes, after several failed attempts."
What did I do ? Dunno. Nothing different from before.
Mine updated last night too, after a couple of weeks of failed automatic attempts and half-a-dozen manual ones. I did the BMS reset a few days ago but it failed a few time after that, so that probably wasn't the issue. The only thing I can think of that may have had an influence was that I charged the vehicle up to 75% yesterday, unusual for me unless I know I need to travel 150+ miles the following day.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Update: mine finally loaded successfully. The difference this time - charged to 100%, drove 200+ miles to the lake, DCFC up to 61% while at the grocery store, plugged into 120V to charge when we arrived at the cabin.

I suspect the LVB simply got a healthy charge due to the long drive, but who knows for sure?

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I just got the nod to update, this after changing my auto update from 12:01am to 10am.
I have changed my auto update time two other times and got the update within 1 or 2 days, I'm at work and went out to turn off auto update and there it was waiting to update at 10:24am. Should I do it??

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I think they have half a guy responsible for software development and that dude has never seen a Lightning in person let alone have a chance to test anything. I don’t know how else to explain what I am seeing. And I am not just talking about update procedure. It is everything from operation of their web pages to the apps to the truck software. I totally get what Farley was talking about having outsourced every module and their software and trying to make them work together and have the updates coordinated can be challenging but not putting enough and right resources on it is not the fault of that half guy, it is Farley’s fault.
I think they got the bottom half of the guy.
Actually it does, after it gets low enough.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
While ignition status is off, DC-DC is normally off and 12V battery supports the 12V loads.
While ignition is off, if 12V battery reaches 40% state of charge, then vehicle waits 48 hours , before the DC-DC transfers 300 Watt-hours of energy to recharge the 12V battery. The HV power comes from either HV battery or wall power while on plug. If the 12V battery state of charge reaches 30%, then this HV to LV energy transfer happens immediately with no delay.

Note:
• This system was designed to recharge 12V battery while the vehicle was left parked for many days
either on or off plug or occasional drain from customer usage. The 12V battery will wear out if this
energy transfer is completed daily due to aftermarket loads draining the 12V battery down to 40% or lower.

• Vehicle has 35 Amp-hour AGM 12V Battery
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mike G, may I ask the source of your valuable detailed LV battery information, if you are permitted to share the source?

Do you have any additional information on HV to LV battery charge rate, or the elapsed time required for the HV battery to deliver the 300 watt-hours to the LV battery?

I recently charged at home to 90% HV SOC, and had failures to update every night since charging. I also tried a manual update after HV charging, but before I drove the vehicle for an extended time, which also failed.

I drove my vehicle for about an hour today to "give it time" to charge the LV battery in case it did not happen during the time on the HV charger. When I got back home, I initiated a manual update and ... Bingo ... it updated.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I think they got the bottom half of the guy.

Mike G, may I ask the source of your valuable detailed LV battery information, if you are permitted to share the source?

Do you have any additional information on HV to LV battery charge rate, or the elapsed time required for the HV battery to deliver the 300 watt-hours to the LV battery?

I recently charged at home to 90% HV SOC, and had failures to update every night since charging. I also tried a manual update after HV charging, but before I drove the vehicle for an extended time, which also failed.

I drove my vehicle for about an hour today to "give it time" to charge the LV battery in case it did not happen during the time on the HV charger. When I got back home, I initiated a manual update and ... Bingo ... it updated.
Page 4 is my source. I don't know about the length of time it would take to charge. I would think that would be determined by several factors.

Attachments

TwoPop

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
Well, after many failed attempts, I put a trickle charger on the 12v and charged the truck, and it finally updated overnight. It seems like this update needs a fully or nearly fully charged 12v to work.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
On my 14th try I got this. Waiting for the tow truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 23-PU0306-BCF-DET IMG_0261

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
On my 14th try I got this. Waiting for the tow truck.

IMG_0261.jpeg
Holly crap. Are you telling me this is the result of update attempt? Or you had some sort of issue aside from the update. I had no idea this is how the OTA updates are suppose to make things better. I am thinking to shut mine off completely.

Last edited:

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Holly crap. Are you telling me this as the result of update attempt? Or you had some sort of issue aside from the update. I had no idea this is how the OTA updates are suppose to make things better. I am thinking to shut mine off completely.
This is what happens if the update has an issue and can't fix itself. It is uncommon but we'll planned for

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Holly crap. Are you telling me this as the result of update attempt? Or you had some sort of issue aside from the update. I had no idea this is how the OTA updates are suppose to make things better. I am thinking to shut mine off completely.
Yes, the truck has been perfect except for updates. Pure speculation but since Ford is so tight-lipped that’s all we have. My 12V battery is failing and during the update the voltage dropped too low and one or more modules shut down in the middle of the update. The fix should be simple, they will need to reload the software using FDRS. I complained about the battery previously but they said it was OK.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
This is what happens if the update has an issue and can't fix itself. It is uncommon but we'll planned for
Breaking a working truck because they can’t do the software update is the best way for Ford to sell R1T and Cybertruck. Incompetence to complete the software update is something I can live with but telling me I can’t use my truck because of it is a new low. I may have to get some anti anxiety medication for the next update:

Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 23-PU0306-BCF-DET 1689884353141

Yes, the truck has been perfect except for updates. Pure speculation but since Ford is so tight-lipped that’s all we have. My 12V battery is failing and during the update the voltage dropped too low and one or more modules shut down in the middle of the update. The fix should be simple, they will need to reload the software using FDRS. I complained about the battery previously but they said it was OK.
Can you juice up your 12V with a strong juicer and keep it connected, restart and see if the error comes back? Or if you have another car in driveway try it with that battery just so you can move the truck? If you are seeing the message your 12V can’t be completely dead.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I've seen three different people on Reddit say their truck won't L2/AC charge after one of these recent updates that mine hasn't been able to install and this is the second report I've seen of this 'DET update bricking a truck. I've got auto updates turned off for now and will give it another go after I see some more positive reports and/or Ford issues a newer update.

Ford better get this figured out.
Sponsored