• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The big question is……. Can you now fight ADM by pointing out the truck has a recall :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I'm guessing half of the recalled Lightning's are mannequin units.

What is the chance this was discovered about five weeks ago on 5/24 or 5/25 when we observed the delay in modules popping? It probably took a couple of weeks to verify the software fix and then chips had to be re-programmed with the fix. Some chips probably have to be pre-programmed before installation so a backlog of chips with the wrong programming may have to be worked through?

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
My understanding is that Ford cannot deliver any of the affected new vehicles until the recall repair is applied. If Ford has not already started that process, my fear is that it will be a while before trucks are shipped. Hopefully, the delay many of us have experienced is the software error and the time needed to apply the software update.
So this is why many of us with early builds were held up? Maybe partially anyway. Ours were done/in-work/under final testing while this was discovered?

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
My winter wheels on most of the cars do not even have tpms sensors. Well, up until very recently. One car has new take off wheels for winter that came with sensors, other car has indirect tpms (uses abs sensors to find a wheel spinning at the wrong speed in comparison to the others), third car has no sensors and five cars prior to that had no sensors, just a warning light all winter. There should be a different name for recalls that can be fixed with a software update vs real hardware changes. This is as close to a nothing as you can get without it being nothing.
Sounds like Volvo with the indirect sensors that are based on tire rotation. And guess what — it does the job effectively even though you don’t know your precise tire pressure. What did we do before TPMS? We used tire guages.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
The cause of the safety defect is immaterial to whether it justifies a recall or not. It can be either software or hardware. Tesla has had many recalls that they fix (or cause) by software, such as the "boombox feature:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...oombox-feature-pedestrian-safety-a7645379043/

More info on recalls:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/documents/14218-mvsdefectsandrecalls_041619-v2-tag.pdf

It's too bad the fix requires hands-on labor and can't just be pushed out to the fleet via an OTA update. I wonder what Ford's relationship with their dealers is and where the point of no return is. Can they ship the truck from the factory with a known defect and just ask the dealer to fix it before delivering to a customer? Having the dealer fix it is far more efficient from a logistics standpoint if the truck has otherwise passed factory QA, especially for a software fix, but dealers may still balk at having to perform a known recall on a vehicle that hasn't yet been shipped to them.

OP
OP
RainorshinePNW

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
The cause of the safety defect is immaterial to whether it justifies a recall or not. It can be either software or hardware. Tesla has had many recalls that they fix (or cause) by software, such as the "boombox feature:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...oombox-feature-pedestrian-safety-a7645379043/

More info on recalls:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/documents/14218-mvsdefectsandrecalls_041619-v2-tag.pdf

It's too bad the fix requires hands-on labor and can't just be pushed out to the fleet via an OTA update. I wonder what Ford's relationship with their dealers is and where the point of no return is. Can they ship the truck from the factory with a known defect and just ask the dealer to fix it before delivering to a customer? Having the dealer fix it is far more efficient from a logistics standpoint if the truck has otherwise passed factory QA, especially for a software fix, but dealers may still balk at having to perform a known recall on a vehicle that hasn't yet been shipped to them.
The report/article does say customers who don't want/rush to get this update will get it OTA in 30 days. Not sure why they'd be withholding deliveries or shipments, if this is the only issue, given that.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired

More info on recalls:

it IS an OTA update

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
For incorrect tire pressure monitor. Module and/or software update from dealer.
‘Not an earthshaking development.
It doesn't sound like there is any problem with TPMS. TPMS are still reporting the correct pressure. It's the software that issues the warning when pressure is too low. Presumably, you should notice low pressure long before it becomes dangerous. On my MME, I am experiencing a super slow leak (it loses 5 PSI over the course of a month). Since tire place hasn't been able to find it, I just use a compressor to refill it.

Most of us remember life before TPMS when most of us checked the tire on a regular basis.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
It doesn't sound like there is any problem with TPMS. TPMS are still reporting the correct pressure. It's the software that issues the warning when pressure is too low. Presumably, you should notice low pressure long before it becomes dangerous. On my MME, I am experiencing a super slow leak (it loses 5 PSI over the course of a month). Since tire place hasn't been able to find it, I just use a compressor to refill it.

Most of us remember life before TPMS when most of us checked the tire on a regular basis.
And by regular basis, we mean we eyeballed it and went…hmm. Looks kind of flat. Then pulled out the stick to confirm.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
And by regular basis, we mean we eyeballed it and went…hmm. Looks kind of flat. Then pulled out the stick to confirm.
Or even if it doesn't look flat, check it every 3-4 weeks. Or if the system actually displays individual tire pressure, just look at that once in a while. Not really that hard.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The report/article does say customers who don't want/rush to get this update will get it OTA in 30 days. Not sure why they'd be withholding deliveries or shipments, if this is the only issue, given that.
My understanding is that it is illegal for a new car dealer to sell a new motor vehicle that is under recall.

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
I noticed my tires were under inflated when I switched the wheels out. They had 36 psi and it never alerted me. I added some air the next morning and it’s been fine.

Paulightning

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Cobra, 1995 Bronco, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER

More info on recalls:

I received 5 Rangers for courtesy delivery back in September-October last year. There was a stop-sale recall with no remedy available on them. They sat in my back lot for 6 MONTHS before we got them fixed and passed onto their customers back in April.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

More info on recalls:

I do not think that dealers will care since they are paid to perform recalls and warranty work.
Sponsored