• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Request: A concise answer to how to connect Pro Power to a generator inlet

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
While everyone who has posted is trying to provide good & safe info, please understand this is now obsolete information.

the new meter collars with generator input provide the functionality you want.

IMG_4541.jpeg

IMG_4540.jpeg

IMG_4539.jpeg

IMG_4538.jpeg

IMG_4537.jpeg

IMG_4542.jpeg
Is this available outside of California?
Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Does PGE provide you insurance coverage if the meter base somehow fries the inverters in the Truck?
Boy you are Grumpy. 😠

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
ProPower has GFCI protection which will trip if neutral touches ground at any point other than the frame of the truck. There's no getting around that fact.
The answer is here, if you read between the lines. The N and G conductors should never "see" each other.

Lots of folks will state that you're creating a hazard by wiring the system in a particular way but my theory is, if you don't have an existing fault in the house, you're not going to be inducing one using this method.

Sponsored

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Is this available outside of California?
Originally I found this company:

https://www.generlink.com/

When I inquired with them, they told me they could not ship one to me as my utility would not allow them. Fast forward a couple of months and PG&E is offering them directly at no cost.

I should have bought a lottery ticket that day!

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Does PGE provide you insurance coverage if the meter base somehow fries the inverters in the Truck?
As the collar provides no power, there is not a mechanism for the meter collar itself to do any damage. When utility power returns, the collar switches back to utility mode. The generator is disconnected automatically.

In the event of a Lightning strike (no pun intended) on the house that jumps to the house wiring, the ground connection in the meter panel is still in place to provide protection. If you live in an area where lightning strikes are common, you can add multiple grounding rods and interconnect them to create a ground field. Of course increase the size of your grounding wires to accommodate the largest wire your meter panel lugs and the grounding rod interconnect will allow.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
A 50A (30A) suicide cord? What could go wrong? /s
The other end of that cord could have a female fitting that plugs into a generator input

Ford F-150 Lightning Request: A concise answer to how to connect Pro Power to a generator inlet 1711381635475-0i

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Backup power transfer meter manual:
https://www.pge.com/assets/pge/docs...er-transfer-meter-manual.pdf.coredownload.pdf

Max 30Amps or 7.2kW load (matches the pro power bed outlet 240Vac available) so one would need to drop excessive loads like hard start air conditioning, etc.
I would think solar systems would need to be dropped as well as the truck may not be able to take in power if fully charged.

Great way to go by saving much higher costs of a separate panel and wiring. Especially if PG&E will provide and install for free!
Yes one should turn off the breakers for automatic high consumption devices.

The instructions also state solar systems must be disconnected via the associated switch. I am trying to work with Enphase to support this meter collar generator input when one of their System Controllers is installed. Wish me luck!

Sponsored

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Reactions: GDN

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Isn't PG&E that company that went bankrupt because they were found liable for causing the California wildfires? :(

Other than that it seems like a good idea, but I can't see that it has UL approval from their brochure. They say it follows various UL standards and their own testing, but that is not the same. If they set a bunch more houses on fire they will just declare bankruptcy again. I would have a long talk with my insurance company, if homeowner's insurance still exists in California.

I would certainly not install it without approval from my electric company. It might be the next big thing and it does sound good but I have been around long enough to see many good ideas bite people in the rear over time.

Howard S

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
How did you get that info? I wonder if LADWP will allow this installation down here? Who actually installs the collar?

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
As others have stated.... explain the issue with the truck GFCI and conventional transfer switch / interlock to your electrician and get their recommendation.

Whatever they do decide, I highly recommend doing a 50a generator inlet (similar to link below) instead of a 30a. You can use your Pro Power onboard (via appropriate 50a to 30a cord or dongle) or a larger rated portable generator if you want more power than pro power onboard can supply or if down the road you have a different EV that can supply that much power.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Con...DmOxBHZ_gIuzljh0_s9eOV4pNfwaAlRaEALw_wcB&th=1

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Yes one should turn off the breakers for automatic high consumption devices.

The instructions also state solar systems must be disconnected via the associated switch. I am trying to work with Enphase to support this meter collar generator input when one of their System Controllers is installed. Wish me luck!
Good luck, please report back.
Sponsored