• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Running the Battery to 0%

FMarkus

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Occupation
MotorTrend Technical Director
Recommendation: Don't do it. Most people never do. But with our charging infrastructure the way it is, it's entirely conceivable that you could be on a trip, run across dead chargers, and then run out of juice before you can reach the next nearest one. MotorTrend runs every long-term EV completely out of juice once to report on what happens. In our case, it was not terribly pretty. I'd be eager to hear if anyone else has ever tried to charge a completely dead Lightning battery from a Level 3 charger (b/c, spoiler alert: it didn't work at the EVGo one we tried).

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2023-ford-f-150-lightning-xlt-yearlong-review-update-8/
Sponsored

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Nice article.

When you test drive your other EVs down to 0% and are stranded, you might be able to use your Lightning to give a Level 2 charge to them. Avoid a long wait for a tow truck.

OP
OP

FMarkus

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Occupation
MotorTrend Technical Director
That would be an interesting thing to try. We'd need some adapter to plug any 240V home charging cable into the 240V outlet in the lightning though (that's a plus on the Cybertruck, which gets a NEMA 14-50 plug in the bed).

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
That was me last night... Spring break trip. Drove 64 miles to the airport parking lot earlier in the week with temps in the low 40's and high winds. Rolled in with 52% battery. I've driven to the airport several times before and usually get there with about 60%. Worried the entire trip about the drive back by myself at midnight after 15 hours of traveling with the kids, as there is no fast charger on the way back and knew I wouldn't be up for adding 20 mins each way plus charging time to the trip. Read that article the day before our return, which actually made me feel better.

I remember someone in here saying something along the lines of, "Yes, but I want to drive at normal speeds on the highway and be able to use heat!!" Started the truck and now had 54% battery after it sat for a week - go figure! Drove home following someone going obnoxiously slowly with the heater turned off, hearing my husband's voice saying how crappy my truck is because I can't go anywhere in it. But, made it back. Definitely stressful though...

That being said, it started pouring rain to the point that people were pulling over. I slowed down even more, but didn't really feel the need to. I had great visibility with the fancy headlights, and didn’t feel any slipping at all, so that was good.

There is a Tesla super charger on my way home that will really help my range anxiety in the future. In June. If things are on schedule....

Ford F-150 Lightning Running the Battery to 0% 20240331_233221

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
did you ever get a more technical answer as to why the DC fast charging didn't work when it had worked on a different vehicle? Maybe the residual power in the battery is higher at 0% on a Ionic than a Ford?

Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
That would be an interesting thing to try. We'd need some adapter to plug any 240V home charging cable into the 240V outlet in the lightning though (that's a plus on the Cybertruck, which gets a NEMA 14-50 plug in the bed).
Ford shipped exactly that adapter with early Lightnings. I got one - you didn't? Mine is bright yellow and was in the lower compartment of the frunk at delivery.

Last edited:

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
Check out Out of Specs and State of Charge Youtube channels, they got few videos running f150L to 0% and show the behavior and recovery steps.

motortrend article is slightly misleading
how much power left is dependant on the power meter, not SOC, not GOM

If you see available power is going down rapidly, the vehicle will be out of power pretty soon even you have 2% or 3% soc left.
This is the same for Tesla as well

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
'Zero' is not zero. Ford engineers designed the battery with EXTRA power that is not 'normally' used in the course of driving the vehicle, but is more for 'emergency' needs, especially to keep the base requirements to operate the truck... but, that doesn't mean that it can't be accessed if the time calls for it. If the truck comes to a complete stop, and will no longer move on it's own, is meaningless as to 'harming' the drive battery - it simply means that the SOFTWARE has made a decision to limit to the drive power, and will only provide power to ESSENTIAL needs, such as for the vehicle to remain 'ON', etc.
You are not going to be able to 'hurt' these HUGE batteries just by 'driving' them, whether down to 'Zero', or not.

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
what im trying to say, truck will stop moving even before 0
never rely on the reserve past 0, as the bad calibration/weak cell/cold weather can shut down truck earlier than you expect

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
What day is it again? 🤔

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Check out Out of Specs and State of Charge Youtube channels, they got few videos running f150L to 0% and show the behavior and recovery steps.

motortrend article is slightly misleading
how much power left is dependant on the power meter, not SOC, not GOM

If you see available power is going down rapidly, the vehicle will be out of power pretty soon even you have 2% or 3% soc left.
This is the same for Tesla as well
This truck behaves nothing like the Tesla at low SOC. Please don’t mislead people in that manner.

I’ve run my Teslas down at 0%/0 miles remaining and I have never in 8+ years of owning Teslas, run out and come to a stop on a Tesla. That includes running it down with 10% degradation on a 200,000mi+ Tesla just recently. A Rivian, I can confirm behaves just like a Tesla does at low SOC but a Lightning does NOT.

The best way to describe this truck at low SOC is that it is inconsistent. I run mine regularly down below 5% - or I used to until I ran out on two occasions. Like Kyle, the only EV I’ve owned that has left me stranded, unintentionally due to use

The best possible explanation given is that maybe the BMS calibration gets out of sync over time, but that in itself is a bit concerning. This truck simply can’t be trusted on a regular basis at low SOC, and I don’t have an explanation as to why and neither does Ford at this time.

My advice is to avoid running her below 5% if you don’t absolutely need to.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Ford shipped exactly that adapter with early Lightnings. I got one - you didn't? Mine is bright yellow and was in the lower compartment of the frunk at delivery.
Only a small population got those, when my truck came in August 2022 I didn't get one.

Montecarlossfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Azure Gray XLT Lightning
Occupation
Programmer
Definitely have the yellow twist lock to 50 amp adapter come with mine -2023 Lightning ER Xlt
Sponsored