• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

SOC loss while plugged into 120V Charger several weeks

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 1999 GMC Sierra
Occupation
Retired CPA, active pilot
I frequently leave my Lightning plugged into 120V charger in a hangar while I'm out of town. Plug it in, tell it to charge to a certain level & monitor it's status on the Ford App. After several days, the App indicates it's charged to the level I've set. However, when I return a week or so later, the actual SOC is considerably lower - example charged to 95% & return to find it at 82%. Charge ring is still blue, but apparently stops charging when it reaches 95% & will not maintain that SOC. Is this normal ? 11,000 miles on the ER Lariat & no issues to date otherwise.
Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I frequently leave my Lightning plugged into 120V charger in a hangar while I'm out of town. Plug it in, tell it to charge to a certain level & monitor it's status on the Ford App. After several days, the App indicates it's charged to the level I've set. However, when I return a week or so later, the actual SOC is considerably lower - example charged to 95% & return to find it at 82%. Charge ring is still blue, but apparently stops charging when it reaches 95% & will not maintain that SOC. Is this normal ? 11,000 miles on the ER Lariat & no issues to date otherwise.
Do you have departure schedules enabled? If so it is possible that you Lightning is using more energy to “condition” then the 120v trickle charge is providing while you are gone. I notice that on my Lightning when I use my 16 amp travel charger I had from my PHEV and it uses more than the 3kw the charger provides.

OP
OP
Karlos

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
No departure schedule set - usually not sure when I'll return to the truck. It's just sitting there plugged in. It is curious that it indicates on the Ford App that it's 95% charged, but the range displayed for 10 days was only 262 miles & seemed low.

OP
OP
Karlos

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
320 * .82 = 262 by my math - my truck usually shows 320 miles range @ 100% +-
My GOM has been pretty accurate & adjusts quickly to driving conditions. My concern in posting is where/why is 95% SOC decreasing while plugged in for several days/weeks.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Have you had updates posted to your truck, if so what were they?

SOC shouldn't be declining while sitting on a slow charger.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Are you refreshing the data displayed in the FordPass app to where it says, ‘just updated’? (Downward swipe)
Good point, the data on the app becomes stale, the pull down to refresh is not always reliable, I usually combine a lock/unlock request then a pull down to refresh, usually within 30 seconds the status updates and the SOC (which all we're concerned with) should update.

Sponsored

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
I have experienced this as well when plugged into 120v at a camp site for four days..I even posted about it but got nowhere.
App AND truck both show I had charged up to 95%, but after I started it and drove a few hundred feet it dropped to like 86% SOC...I was very worried, but it hasnt happened since while Level 2 charging at home..
I wonder how/why 120v charging could cause ths error?

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
320 * .82 = 262 by my math - my truck usually shows 320 miles range @ 100% +-
My GOM has been pretty accurate & adjusts quickly to driving conditions. My concern in posting is where/why is 95% SOC decreasing while plugged in for several days/weeks.
My point was that you cannot use the range estimate and math it out to get your state of charge. If that's why you think you were at 82% SoC when you got back to the truck, you misunderstand how it works. Unless your modem wasn't working, the SoC you saw in fordpass was the SoC of the truck. 262 was your GOM telling you how far it thinks it can go at 95% SoC now that (I assume) it's colder where you live than it was a few weeks ago.

If you have not yet gotten the update to see your SoC next to the range display, scroll to your calm screen to see it whenever.

If my assumptions are incorrect, and the truck actually showed you, in percentages, that it was at 82%... I apologize.

OP
OP
Karlos

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Have you had updates posted to your truck, if so what were they?

SOC shouldn't be declining while sitting on a slow charger.
Yes, truck has received updates, don't know which ones, App says I'm up to date. I'll try deleting the location & resetting & see what that does.
Sponsored