• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Truck died 5 miles from home

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
So I was doing my return trip from my daughters house which I’ve done many times. I charged to 90% 178 miles from home. Watched my usage very carefully. Averaged 1.7 miles/ kilowatt hour. I kept resetting trip one to make sure I was OK. The last time I checked, I had 22% battery which is 28 kWh with only 34 miles to go. About 10 miles out the state of charge started dropping rapidly. At 3% state of charge the truck no longer had acceleration. Drifted over to the shoulder 4.4 miles from home. This is ridiculous. No idea why I’m dead by the side of the road.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Update: I waited 20 minutes and tried to start the vehicle. I got a depleted battery warning. Ford roadside assistance says a driver will be here in 90 to 120 minutes.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
You are not alone. There have been several reports of the SOC dropping unexpectedly fast below 10%.

To stay safe , one should not plan on using anything below 10%. That will keep you off the side of the road anyway.

I am anticipating FORD diagnosing the issue and adjusting the SOC monitoring accordingly with a software update.

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
You are not alone. There have been several reports of the SOC dropping unexpectedly fast below 10%.

To stay safe , one should not plan on using anything below 10%. That will keep you off the side of the road anyway.

I am anticipating FORD diagnosing the issue and adjusting the SOC monitoring accordingly with a software update.
Actually, I don’t plan on using the truck at all anymore. This was the last straw.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
Where are you? Maybe we could do a Lightning to Lightning charge if service does not get there soon. Near San Antonio?

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think the sign that you are only getting 1.7mi/kWh should tell you something, when others of us are getting 2.2-2.5 or even better...
if you are driving with a led foot, and you 'wait' until you are extremely low in battery power before you change your methods, you might be surprised...

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I think the sign that you are only getting 1.7mi/kWh should tell you something, when others of us are getting 2.2-2.5 or even better...
if you are driving with a led foot, and you 'wait' until you are extremely low in battery power before you change your methods, you might be surprised...
I knew that I would get judgmental and accusatory posts. Congratulations, you are the first. All I was doing was driving the speed limit. I was drafting as much as possible. People who get 2.2 have 65 mile an hour speed limits and drive in heavy traffic. I have 75 mile an hour speed limits and the roads are pretty sparse. You would get 1.6 or 1.7 also. And there are absolutely no options for me to charge closer than 178 miles from home on that route. Please consider that other peoples’ conditions may be different before you judge.

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Where are you? Maybe we could do a Lightning to Lightning charge if service does not get there soon. Near San Antonio?
Thanks, I was 5 miles from home in Corpus Christi. I got a flatbed tow and was still able to put it in neutral. The truck is in my driveway charging now. I guess I consider myself lucky considering other stories that I’ve heard.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Had a similar experience for the first time in 2 years and over 50k miles. I never really push her below 7-8% but was running late one time. Exited the freeway with 4% Soc and watched my power meter fall rapidly. In the end it was operator error. Zero issues since. Just keep my destination marker around 10%. That said. I have tested my last EV (Tesla) to see how far past zero soc I could go. About 18miles before it quit. It’s frustrating but I wouldn’t give up on the ol’ lightning just yet🤙🏼

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Had a similar experience for the first time in 2 years and over 50k miles. I never really push her below 7-8% but was running late one time. Exited the freeway with 4% Soc and watched my power meter fall rapidly. In the end it was operator error. Zero issues since. Just keep my destination marker around 10%. That said. I have tested my last EV (Tesla) to see how far past zero soc I could go. About 18miles before it quit. It’s frustrating but I wouldn’t give up on the ol’ lightning just yet🤙🏼
I really want to keep the truck because I like driving it so much, but it just doesn’t suit my use case scenario. I go out of town too often. I’m in a charging desert. I have huge headwinds when I go back south towards Corpus Christi so I get lousy mileage. I’ve tried for a year and a half but I’m done.

Sponsored

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
I knew that I would get judgmental and accusatory posts. Congratulations, you are the first. All I was doing was driving the speed limit. I was drafting as much as possible. People who get 2.2 have 65 mile an hour speed limits and drive in heavy traffic. I have 75 mile an hour speed limits and the roads are pretty sparse. You would get 1.6 or 1.7 also. And there are absolutely no options for me to charge closer than 178 miles from home on that route. Please consider that other peoples’ conditions may be different before you judge.
Also in Corpus the winds are almost always strong. We just drove there from SA and barely got 1.9mi/kwh going 60mph because there was a 20mph headwind. Yeah, no DC charging between SA and Corpus or Corpus to Harlingen. Just the one Supercharger on 358. Do you have an adapter yet?

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Also in Corpus the winds are almost always strong. We just drove there from SA and barely got 1.9mi/kwh going 60mph because there was a 20mph headwind. Yeah, no DC charging between SA and Corpus or Corpus to Harlingen. Just the one Supercharger on 358. Do you have an adapter yet?
No. It was supposed to come in May. Now June.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks, I was 5 miles from home in Corpus Christi. I got a flatbed tow and was still able to put it in neutral. The truck is in my driveway charging now. I guess I consider myself lucky considering other stories that I’ve heard.
You were very lucky to get a tow and be home in 2 hrs. Remarkable even.

There are charging deserts in places. Even having a Tesla adapter wouldn't have helped you.

If I was driving 180 miles in an area with headwinds, I would plan on getting 1.4. With 125kW available (taking off some), you can't make it. I would drive it 60mph to make it.