• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What does this mean?

Brendan P

First Name
BRENDAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
I have recently got our lightning back after 4 months of it being in the shop for a battery recall.
We have had it back for a week, and today I noticed it was down from 100% to 88% on the display on the left. The one with the lightning bolt. What is that display? Is it available overall power from the batteries? Any reason that won’t be at 100 as usual? I’m currently charging the truck and hope that resets, but what does that display mean and why would it drop?
My dealership doesn’t have much experience with Ev’s, so this is new to them as well. The only thing I can think of is that we haven’t charged it in 3 days, and it is about 0 degrees at night, but charge was at 40% today.
Any insight would be really helpful. Thanks!

Ford F-150 Lightning What does this mean? IMG_2329
Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
It is likely related to the extremely cold temperature you are displaying. Until the battery warms up the software is limiting the power you can use in combination with the SOC being below 50%.

40-50% is where I remember seeing reduced power starting to come into play.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
Reduced power available. 88% is still plenty of power for almost anything except a drag race. So with a low state of charge there is less power available. I've only seen that less than 100% when I was down to 20% state of charge. I usually run 40% to 90% so don't see any reduced power.

OP
OP

Brendan P

First Name
BRENDAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
It is likely related to the extremely cold temperature you are displaying. Until the battery warms up the software is limiting the power you can use in combination with the SOC being below 50%.

40-50% is where I remember seeing reduced power starting to come into play.
Thanks! So this is a normal fucnction then? Do you know what that display is called?

OP
OP

Brendan P

First Name
BRENDAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Reduced power available. 88% is still plenty of power for almost anything except a drag race. So with a low state of charge there is less power available. I've only seen that less than 100% when I was down to 20% state of charge. I usually run 40% to 90% so don't see any reduced power.
Same. I normally run 30-80, but this is the 1st time I’ve seen this.
Then than when we had the recall. It seems weird to me to happen at 40%

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
It's 6 degrees Celsius and your state of charge is below 50%, available power is reduced with a cold battery and also reduced at lower states of charge.

If you're charging with a level 2 evse then it will return to 100 when it warms.

Don't forget to set departure times when you're plugged in and want maximum range as it will then heat the battery to optimum temp.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Your battery is a lot like human body. It likes to work around the same temperature. The colder it gets the more it resist giving up it's energy. But just like your body when it is active it warms up. Activity could mean putting electrons in it or taking them out. The faster you do that the warmer it gets. So high acceleration and DC fast charging warms it up faster than level 2 charging and mild acceleration.

As others have mentioned, charging before you leave can help leaving with 100% power. If battery is warm and at high SOC and you are not getting 100%, then there may be an issue. But you usually get a warning for it.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Thanks! So this is a normal fucnction then? Do you know what that display is called?
Yep normal function. This weekend I was down to 30% SOC and my available power meter was at 55%. Does need to be thought about as you get lower SOC and say need to climb the Rockies. 🙃☹

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
As said above, what you're seeing is a totally normal available power level, given the conditions you described.

But, some folks who come out of a HVB battery service procedure might see a similar condition in fairer weather for about 21 days while the modules complete balancing out, sometimes the technician can get them dialed in perfectly, sometimes not, but they will harmonize over about a 3 week period of time.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your Lightning!!!
Sponsored